Family tragedy: Best options with upcoming cruises?

cachouonacruise

My brother-in-law tragically passed away this week. Naturally, my sister-in-law is devastated and overwhelmed, with all the implications of that departure.

In the scope of things, her two upcoming cruises are relatively minor issues. However, significant amount of money could be at stake for her.

I would like to help her, but I am not sure, I fully understand the rules myself. So, your suggestions or shared experiences would be most welcome.

They had two upcoming cruises:

1. In September 2023 on NCL ( in about three weeks). For this one, I understand that she will have to rely on a cancellation policy to be refunded, if she decides to cancel.

2. In February 2024, on X. ( final payment due early November). For this one, it's relatively simple, she can choose to cancel and everything will be refunded.

My questions are the following:

Question 1: Can she choose to sail solo on either cruise? If so, will the cruise line change her fare? For example the fare for her cabin on X has almost doubled. In that context, is she better to just show up alone? What are the impacts either way? ( advising the cruise line that she will be alone versus just showing up alone on embarkation day?)

Question 2: Can she ask one of her children or a friend to sail with her? Will there be any surcharge for the NCL cruise? For the X cruise? Will there be any surcharges for the flights, booked directly with the airline?

I really don't know yet, if she will perceive these trips as a burden to avoid or as a way to escape real life for a moment. But the clock is ticking especially for the NCL cruise, and I would love to hear your suggestions, in order to better be able to help her.

Thank-you very much in advance for your support. 

• Like 1

Celebrity allows change of 1 name on the reservation up to about a week before sailing.  There may be a nominal charge for this but I'm sure would be waived under the circumstances.

I believe if she just shows up alone for Celebrity the second passenger taxes/fees just get refunded.  I'm not totally sure what happens if the reservation is changed in advance to 1 passenger but I'm sure someone here will have more advise.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are from the UK so our T&C’s will be different than yours. However, Celebrity genuinely made every effort to accommodate me following the sad passing of my DH this year. 

We had two cruises booked. We cancelled one with no penalty and transferred the other. Staff we spoke to were both caring and compassionate…Genuinely couldn’t have asked for better customer service. Quite simply if your sister in law decides to keep this booking I suggest she phones up and asks for all options available. They will, hopefully, as they did for me, go through all options.

Obviously I have no experience of NCL…I would suggest with the cruise on that line being so imminent your sister in law may need to look at insurance policies and T&C’s on credit cards which may offer some cover she may not even be aware of…

Deepest sympathy to you all…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would definitely check with the cruise lines.   I know someone who's S.O. passed away and the cruise like made exceptions.    Death is definitely different than a no show or illness.  

Most agents are very sympathetic and will work with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your BIL.  It's kind of you to explore the options for the planned cruises as your SIL has more pressing issues right now.  Several folks have offered helpful suggestions so just ignore the snarky comments as you figure out the best strategy going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One other option, depending on how she paid. If she has a card with trip cancellation insurance, she might be able to recoup the entire amount of the cruise if she cancels. I'm actually considering this option right now due to a family medical emergency 2 weeks ago. DW and I are on the 9/8 Solstice sailing. Right now we're still a go with family's blessing, but that could change. If we have to cancel, I believe I can recoup the entire amount of the cruise under the Chase insurance policy.

• Thanks 1