Hopewell Rocks tips, like shoes to wear

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm going to Hopewell Rocks when the tide is out and we can walk on the ocean floor.  What kind of shoes should I bring?  Something completely disposable like very old sneakers, or something else?  Any other tips about walking around?  I am solo so won't have a travel companion to lean on, literally.  

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

22 hours ago, GTJ said:

Wear what you would wear on a beach.

I would wear flip flops to a beach but I don’t think they would be the greatest for walking on a muddy shore in cooler weather. Was thinking of maybe taking my crocks or a pair of shoes that need to be thrown out. 

2 hours ago, ymncruise said:

I would wear flip flops to a beach but I don’t think they would be the greatest for walking on a muddy shore in cooler weather.

I don't think flip flops would ordinarily be worn on the beach, at least not beyond those beaches that might be used as bathing beaches. It should be obvious that this is not a beach for bathing or sunning. Of course, don't wear bathing attire when riding the bus or walking about! When hiking about on a typical non-bathing beach I would ordinarily wear sneakers, hiking shoes or low boots, or possibly some casual shoes that I don't intend keeping shined. In fact I used such foot attire when I was the Hopewell Rocks. Best is to simply wear what you would wear while exploring and hiking about on a non-bathing beach.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, declansdad said:

It will be muddy, the rocks and trails will be slippery. Wear something with good support, a good tread and is easy to clean.

So, don't bring water shoes?  That is what I was thinking when someone else suggested what you wear to the beach.  But I can see how this could be more slippery due to rocks. 

I'm thinking of a very old (but serviceable) pair of sneakers that I'd just throw away before getting back on the bus (having extra shoes with me).  I don't know if that's overkill or not though.  I don't know how muddy they will be getting.  Maybe I could just wash them off and then throw them away when back onboard the ship.

• Like 2

Here's a video that is good for showing the area. As you can see, it is a beach. One can go walking around as one would on most other non-bathing beaches. If you want to jump in the puddles or find some mud then you can do so. If you want to find some rocks to climb about then you do that as well. A lot depends on how you wish to walk about or hike.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:19 PM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

So, don't bring water shoes?  That is what I was thinking when someone else suggested what you wear to the beach.  But I can see how this could be more slippery due to rocks. 

I'm thinking of a very old (but serviceable) pair of sneakers that I'd just throw away before getting back on the bus (having extra shoes with me).  I don't know if that's overkill or not though.  I don't know how muddy they will be getting.  Maybe I could just wash them off and then throw them away when back onboard the ship.

I wouldn't wear water shows. I don't remember anyone wearing anything like that. Anytime I've visited I just wear sneakers.