Traveling with grandchild-no parents sailing

clbl99

Just did this with my grandson in early August. I was probably over prepared, but I wasn't taking any chances. I had a copy of my daughters divorce papers showing she had full custody. There is a form on NCL that needs to be filled out and signed by the parent(s). Although she has custody, her ex signed it also. Because you are going into Canada, there is separate paperwork that they need to have. If you look online it will tell you what to have included in the letter they need - parents names, address, etc., your name and that you have permission to have the child with you. It stated that it was recommended that it was notarized and I didn't want to take any chances so had both parents sign the paper and notarized. (This is due to human trafficking). I'm not sure that I actually needed all of this, but at check-in I told them that I had anything they could possibly need and they did take the NCL form and looked at some of the other items, but it was a whirlwind and I can't remember what was looked at and what wasn't.

Have a great time. We did.

This may be covered within the NCL form, but when my parents took our kids for any length of time I gave them a notarized letter from my wife and I saying they could make medical decisions.  Luckily never had to use that part, but better safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, clbl99 said:

We are traveling with out 8 year old grandson to Alaska in a few weeks.. His dad has full physical custody and has signed the paper for the cruise. Will we need anything else ? Birth certificate I know.

It is imperative that you are in full compliance with the requirements of the cruise line, otherwise you will be denied boarding. This information has been provided to you in your cruise documents.

You need driver licenses from parents and you need to comply with the Canada-specific requirements (which is appears you have not done). 

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#age-requirements

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent Form that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied. Both living parents/legal guardians must sign and complete this form and attach a copy of his/her driver's license or other government issued identification. Minors of the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form:

Minors or the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

1. Download and Complete the Parental Consent Release form (PDF)
  2. Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued ID

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll need the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries):

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

• Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;
  • The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;
  • The destination and length of stay in Canada.

28 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is imperative that you are in full compliance with the requirements of the cruise line, otherwise you will be denied boarding. This information has been provided to you in your cruise documents.

You need driver licenses from parents and you need to comply with the Canada-specific requirements (which is appears you have not done). 

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#age-requirements

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent Form that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied. Both living parents/legal guardians must sign and complete this form and attach a copy of his/her driver's license or other government issued identification. Minors of the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form:

Minors or the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

1. Download and Complete the Parental Consent Release form (PDF)
  2. Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued ID

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll need the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries):

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

• Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;
  • The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;
  • The destination and length of stay in Canada.

Thank you! We will NOT be traveling into Canada. Grandparents do not have a passport either. We have filled out the NCL form and dad has signed with a copy of his drivers license. Mom is not in the picture at all, dad has full custody

Edited by clbl99

57 minutes ago, vswan said:

Just did this with my grandson in early August. I was probably over prepared, but I wasn't taking any chances. I had a copy of my daughters divorce papers showing she had full custody. There is a form on NCL that needs to be filled out and signed by the parent(s). Although she has custody, her ex signed it also. Because you are going into Canada, there is separate paperwork that they need to have. If you look online it will tell you what to have included in the letter they need - parents names, address, etc., your name and that you have permission to have the child with you. It stated that it was recommended that it was notarized and I didn't want to take any chances so had both parents sign the paper and notarized. (This is due to human trafficking). I'm not sure that I actually needed all of this, but at check-in I told them that I had anything they could possibly need and they did take the NCL form and looked at some of the other items, but it was a whirlwind and I can't remember what was looked at and what wasn't.

Have a great time. We did.

We will not be traveling into the Canadian side. We can hang out at the ship if need be

7 minutes ago, clbl99 said:

Thank you! We will NOT be traveling into Canada. Grandparents do not have a passport either. We have filled out the NCL form and dad has signed with a copy of his drivers license. Mom is not in the picture at all, dad has full custody

5 minutes ago, clbl99 said:

We will not be traveling into the Canadian side. We can hang out at the ship if need be

By law, the Passenger Vessel Services Act, the ship has to be making at least one port call in Canada, even if it's only for a few hours...usually in Victoria. You will be in Canada even if you choose not to disembark there. As a result you must obey all Canadian laws and requirements.

Just got back from taking my 2 grandkids to Alaska - in Seattle all my paperwork was taken and copied (the NCL form signed by both parents, the scan I had of their IDs & a handwritten letter with the information for Canada) in your situation I would suggest having written proof/court docs your son has sole/full custody (when we signed kids up for Splash Academy they took copy of NCL form again)

3 hours ago, clbl99 said:

We are traveling with out 8 year old grandson to Alaska in a few weeks.. His dad has full physical custody and has signed the paper for the cruise. Will we need anything else ? Birth certificate I know.

It is so lovely that you're treating your grandson to an Alaska cruise, what a nice set of grandparents and a lucky kid! I would definitely encourage you to heed the advice offered by @BirdTravels and @njhorseman. They are both seasoned travelers and they know what they're talking about-particularly the part about Canadian 🍁 requirements being necessary regardless of whether you plan to get off the ship 🚢 there. Have a great time and make lots of memories! 📸😄

• Like 1

Not getting off the ship in Canada won't make a difference. You are in Canadian waters so need to do the Canadian paperwork. Not sure if you are flying or not, but I also felt more comfortable having the letter in case they had any questions. At TSA they also asked my 14 yr old grandson his name and his relationship to me. When I started to answer they gave me a "look" that he needed to be the one to answer. Got the impression that this was pretty routine.

It would be sad to get to the port and not be able to cruise. Would be a disappointment for all of you. I know it's a pain, but I felt much more comfortable knowing I had anything I could be asked for.

• Like 1

Actually the NCL form says we have to have a letter to travel out of the country with this child.

Thank you!

If visiting a Canadian port (which may include Alaska/Pacific Coastal Itineraries - check www.ncl.com for details), Canadian Law requires a separate letter of authorization in addition to this form

• Like 1

One other thing. My daughter is pretty savvy, and I sent her the NCL form to fill out, etc. She saw the Canadian letter requirements and wrote one, but didn't go to the website to see what was actually needed in the letter and had missed some of what they asked for. I double checked that when I was trying to figure out if it had to be notarized and realized that she hadn't included some of the items.

1 hour ago, vswan said:

One other thing. My daughter is pretty savvy, and I sent her the NCL form to fill out, etc. She saw the Canadian letter requirements and wrote one, but didn't go to the website to see what was actually needed in the letter and had missed some of what they asked for. I double checked that when I was trying to figure out if it had to be notarized and realized that she hadn't included some of the items.

I found this-

image.thumb.png.1b67e884b524e764e63d9cd5d1d7be2e.png

I hadn't found that, but it looks pretty comprehensive. Think it has more on it than the letter that I took, but more is always better! From what I remember, the NCL bullets listed name and contact number but Canada wanted an address. That is on this form so should be good.

Have a wonderful trip. Before I went I told my grandson that he was going to the kids program the first night to meet other people his own age so he didn't have to hang out with grandma the whole time. It was a great choice.

6 hours ago, clbl99 said:

If you are on an Alaskan cruise, your ship calls in Canada.

It's up to you whether you chance being denied boarding. 

Been there done that.  Have taken grandkids on many cruises and have traveled extensively with them without their parents.  Best advise is to check all of NCL's boxes and arrive prepared.  As a margin of safety, follow Canadian guidance regarding taking grandchildren unaccompanied by a parent into Canada.

You are probably ahead of the game on this, but don't forget a notarized document giving you authority to have them treated medically both on and OFF the ship.