Christmas Market River Cruises

justjacques

Hello, All:

We’ve done a number of both river and oceanic cruises. I recall at least one river cruise on the Rhine that happened coincide in time for some Christmas markets. We’re considering a week-long Amawaterways cruise (Danube) that isn’t billed as a Christmas markets itinerary, but begins 16 November. Does anyone know if there will be Christmas markets happening that early in November? I recall that Vienna had markets up as early as 23 November at both the Rathauspark and Schönbrunn when we did a river cruise with Crystal back in 2017.

Thanks!

Edited by justjacques
Grammar

I did Crystal in 2018 on Nov 20th - 30th (Danube). It was called a Christmas Market's cruise. When I arrived in Vienna on the 18th (and then we left on the 21st) - only about 1/3 of Vienna's markets were open (not the largest ones). Our trip was RT Vienna and they were all open when the cruise ended. Crystal did give us compensation for mislabeling the cruise.

We hit the first day of Christmas markets in some of the ports (Salzburg and then the Lake District in Austria)) and in most of the German ports, we were a day or two early (Regensburg, Munich) I think the Bratislava markets were open for a day or two before we arrived.

I would google every port you are visiting on that itinerary. The Christmas Market dates should be out by now.

Edited by Coral

I did that segment in 2019 and almost nothing was open that week.  I have pictures in Vienna on the 15th of the market stalls at Schonbrunn palace closed.  I believe the ones downtown were opening that weekend.

But nothing before Vienna was open nor was Budapest.

6 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

I did that segment in 2019 and almost nothing was open that week.  I have pictures in Vienna on the 15th of the market stalls at Schonbrunn palace closed.  I believe the ones downtown were opening that weekend.

But nothing before Vienna was open nor was Budapest.

I have pictures of the booths up at Schonbrunn palace but not open yet. We were there on the 21st. The only ones that were open early that year for my cruise was St. Stephen's Cathedral. When we returned to Vienna on the 29th, they were all open.image.thumb.jpeg.9116486e2fd97c91d1ccfdcdb709b530.jpeg

Edited by Coral

There is a website - Christmas markets in Europe - (all 1 word). You can check country then individual town to see dates of openings. I just looked up Linz and it has a link to the official market site along with dates Nov 18 - Dec 24.

14 hours ago, justjacques said:

begins 16 November.

And do check sunset times for your stops at that time of year as darkness will probablydescend by mid or late afternoon depending on  the city/town.  In mid/late November  you can expect short hours of daylight and some of your sightseeing may be in darkness.                                             

As for Germany the traditional opening date is the Friday prior to the weekend of the 1st of Advent - which would be Dec 1st this year. But more and more markets do start out early now. Even when they start out early they are not allowed to open on Sunday, Nov 26th (Sunday in commemoration of the death), which is a so called quiet holiday where no kind of action is allowed (no music, no dancing...).

So the famous Christkindlesmarkt at Nuremberg does not open until Dec 1st. 

The main market in Munich does open Nov 27th. Others do open Nov 23rd.

Passau opens Nov 29th. Regensburg is Nov 27th, Thurn und Taxis Nov 24th.

In Vienna the one at the city hall opens Nov 10th (others follow Nov 15th). 

So Nov 16th might be too early for any of the markets.

steamboats

• Like 1