Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

That was good. My mom enjoyed hers too, lots of yummy noises coming from her side of the table.

Speaking of noises, there is probably only one baby on board and it got sat across from me. Do you think it's sitting quietly. 

Prawn Tikka marsala and vegetable brioche tart 842 

16973953678873679048516600548093.thumb.jpg.0a623f6e2befc47a9c4e5c818740c14b.jpg

16973953847958029318258808074833.thumb.jpg.2465174bad87cc6bcbadacabfe45aed5.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

I thought the whole menu was kind of weird! I would eat the French onion soup and all of the desserts!

OK so it wasn't just me. I thought it was because I wasn't hungry but yes, I struggled a little with this menu.

• Like 6

Both entrées were good.

I guess the British are afraid of spices just like Americans. The Indian dish was delicious but not the least bit spicy.

Apparently two entrées is unusual, the waiter was confused each night when I double ordered 😆

Coconut and lemongrass Panna cotta for dessert 903

16973966888972433777152829227687.thumb.jpg.a54db379b06f61a5b54b027f8c839ad8.jpg

Edited by jam19872016
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:51 AM, Wonky said:

Did you happen to notice what the current extra on board spend/deposits are at the future cruise desk? On board next week so might be tempted!

20231015_151859.thumb.jpg.d3668e639c7395d164c82e5ace36ba64.jpg

I asked someone about the deposit he said he put down 300 on a 10 day cruise that cost about 2k. I'm not sure how much the normal deposit amount is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

It took a couple of days, but I'm finally caught up! DH and I will be doing an international cruise in 2025 so I'm researching how easy it is to fly over there, get over jet lag, how to use the currency, how to book a hotel, how to find tours and tickets, how to find restaurants. Thanks for such a detailed trip report. Your time on Cunard is so interesting the food looks fabulous!

I'm a new follower and I'll look forward to your next post.

Thanks for following along. I'm amazed at people still starting from the beginning it's quite a long read at this point 😆

I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with jet leg although those 23 hour days weren't exactly a picnic 😅

Most of my research was done using the same tools I use stateside. Google, viator, trip advisor and the like.

For Euros I used my bank to purchase them and of course many places accept credit cards. Just don't do like me and let the retailer convert to USD for you. Oops. 

The food has been simply exceptional. 

Enjoy your cruise and your trip planning 😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Petersonfcu said:

Uggh.   To change the subject, ask them why Boris Johnson doesn't comb his hair.

🤣 they all beat me to the punch by saying what a mess their own politics were. 

I played along but yeah it was a bit odd as on my side of the pond politics is definitely not dinner conversation 😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I played along but yeah it was a bit odd as on my side of the pond politics is definitely not dinner conversation 😆 

You could spark a fight by asking them about Brexit.  But on Cunard I bet 90%+ are "remainers" (i.e., wanted to stay in the EU).  So folks at your table might all agree on the issue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Both entrées were good.

I guess the British are afraid of spices just like Americans. The Indian dish was delicious but not the least bit spicy.

Tikka Marsala is a very mild dish, you will get a lot more spice if you order a Vindaloo or Madras.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I think one of the reasons many non-Americans are interested in US politics is because the outcome of presidential elections can affect us all, but it is something we can have no influence on, so we’d like to be able to gain some insight. It doesn’t really apply vice versa. With the possible exception of Jeremy Corbyn, the identity of the UK PM would make no difference to Americans.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think one of the reasons many non-Americans are interested in US politics is because the outcome of presidential elections can affect us all, but it is something we can have no influence on, so we’d like to be able to gain some insight. It doesn’t really apply vice versa. With the possible exception of Jeremy Corbyn, the identity of the UK PM would make no difference to Americans.

Right, it felt a curiosity driven line of question more than an attempt at a debate. 

5 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

I would have eaten the soup and bread I guess. Nothing else would be appealing to me and definitely not chicken livers 😀

My mom has always loved chicken livers. She swears I liked them as a kid but I assure her I only ate them because I wasn't given a choice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

That's gonna do it for me for today.

Tomorrow is turnaround day in Barcelona but the nice thing about the EU versus USA is we do not need to clear customs in the morning. It's just another port day. There is even a complementary shuttle to the world trade center available. 

We won't be doing any of that at most we may head to the duty free shop. 

Good night 😴 

• Like 20

I think, if I ate the amount you do, I would need bariatric help to wheelbarrow me off the ship.  😁

Your dedication to culinary research deserves praise for that alone, never mind the rest of this really entertaining report. Love it. 🙂

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

Good morning from Barcelona. 

One week to go on the European leg of this trip. Next time I am in this port it will be to catch a ride home. But I'm going to focus on happier things for right now.

Breakfast is closed already since it is technically turnaround day. I could do room service but I think I will take the opportunity to hold off until lunch.

Getting up now to see where the day takes me.

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I think, if I ate the amount you do, I would need bariatric help to wheelbarrow me off the ship.  😁

Your dedication to culinary research deserves praise for that alone, never mind the rest of this really entertaining report. Love it. 🙂

It's only a matter of time but thankfully so far, the food on Cunard is not contributing to any huge weight gains.

Hopefully thay trend will continue when I weigh today. Fingers crossed.

Glad you're enjoying the review thanks for following along.

More research soon 😉

• Like 12