NCL Prima Medical Evacuation by Helicopter

Markj

8th September.

Was woken at 615am this morning by a PA from the Captain informing the ship that there would be a helicopter arriving at the ship shortly due to a serious medical emergency.

We were asked not to go outside onto the main decks, not to go into port side balconies and under to circumstance to take photos or video of the helicopter.

I heard it arrive as I was still in bed and didn't bother to look out the window as I've seen plenty of helicopters!!!!

Few thoughts though - I wonder why the port side people had to stay inside? Was there no photos or video to protect the identity of the poorly person? 

Also the helicopter seemed to come and go 4 times. As I couldn't see it I guess it was lowering a stretcher to airlift the person off, maybe more than one person too? 

It's a good job too we were still near Iceland as at least the Helicopter didn't have a long way to travel. 

I'll see if I can find out more during the day!

Of course our thoughts are with whoever the poorly person(s) is and wish them a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markj said:

8th September.

Was woken at 615am this morning by a PA from the Captain informing the ship that there would be a helicopter arriving at the ship shortly due to a serious medical emergency.

We were asked not to go outside onto the main decks, not to go into port side balconies and under to circumstance to take photos or video of the helicopter.

I heard it arrive as I was still in bed and didn't bother to look out the window as I've seen plenty of helicopters!!!!

Few thoughts though - I wonder why the port side people had to stay inside? Was there no photos or video to protect the identity of the poorly person? 

Also the helicopter seemed to come and go 4 times. As I couldn't see it I guess it was lowering a stretcher to airlift the person off, maybe more than one person too? 

It's a good job too we were still near Iceland as at least the Helicopter didn't have a long way to travel. 

Of course our thoughts are with whoever the poorly person(s) is and wish them a speedy recovery. 

I shudder to think that last month that could have been my DW. She went to the medical center on the sea day between Norway and Iceland. She was given a prescription for constipation. When she got home she went to her doctor and was told to take an over the counter drug for constipation and that the drug prescribed onboard was an over the counter drug in the USA. And then she ended in the hospital as it was more than constipation, it was a twisted bowel.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I shudder to think that last month that could have been my DW. She went to the medical center on the sea day between Norway and Iceland. She was given a prescription for constipation. When she got home she went to her doctor and was told to take an over the counter drug for constipation and that the drug prescribed onboard was an over the counter drug in the USA. And then she ended in the hospital as it was more than constipation, it was a twisted bowel.

OH WOW!!!  Prayers for your wife and yourself.  I pray that your wife is feeling better.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Markj said:

8th September.

The 1st pass was probably to lower helicopter medical personnel to assess the situation.  2nd pass to lower the basket to load patient, 3rd pass lower basket for family member traveling with patient, 4th pass retrieve helicopter personnel.

Helicopters flying that close to a ship create thier own wind tunnel-- do not want anyone else hurt.  Do not want people turning on thier balcony-- could distort the vision of the pilot.

No, crew is not allowed to discuss the details of the evacuation.

• Like 2

As noted above, downdraft from helo, which does not hover over the ship, but off to the side when not actively winching, could cause injuries to passengers on balconies.  Also, possibility of FOD (foreign object debris) would be an increased danger to helicopter from people leaving balcony door open.

They don't want photos taken, as even in daylight, the flash from cameras (and many don't turn the flash off on their phones in daylight) can distract the pilot.

The number of times the helicopter was over the ship could be as noted by www3traveler, or the first could have been a "dry run" to check the relative wind, ship speed, ship motion, and turbulence from the ship's exhausts.  An EMT/Flight nurse is lowered first, along with the rescue basket/litter.  He/she will be the last lift up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@phillygwm I think you're right. NCL takes the passenger's privacy very serious. All we can do is hope that they get the treatment they need and have a speedy and complete recovery. Best wishes. 

While I agree, I've been awakened more than once by a Code Alpha where the room number is announced to the entire ship.  I always wondered why that was necessary; wouldn't the medics have radios etc?  

Of course, I'm sure there is much I'm not considering (which is why I enjoy reading @chengkp75insightful posts!)

23 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

While I agree, I've been awakened more than once by a Code Alpha where the room number is announced to the entire ship.  I always wondered why that was necessary; wouldn't the medics have radios etc?  

Of course, I'm sure there is much I'm not considering (which is why I enjoy reading @chengkp75insightful posts!)

Code Alpha involves more than just the Doctors and Nurses from the Medical Center, who do have radios, but who don't carry them around all the time (for instance, not when off duty), or have them on.  Code Alpha also alerts the members of the stretcher teams (who are waiters, cabin stewards, bartenders, etc) to go to the Medical Center for assignment.  Typically, there will be 3-4 teams of 5-6 on each team.

But, even with announcing the cabin number, that still does not identify the passengers.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, www3traveler said:

OH WOW!!!  Prayers for your wife and yourself.  I pray that your wife is feeling better.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS

Yes, she is better now, thank you. She is not only out of the hospital, but is allowed to actually eat "real food" as she just got that ok from the doctor, actually a surgeon though she did not need surgery. When she first left the hopsital she was told basically to eat no fiber, just stuff like white bread, white rice, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1