Problem Solving Cruise Options

ksmetamaid

I have spent hours searching, but apparently my dream Alaska cruise itinerary doesn't exist.  At least on cruise lines within my price range (Holland America, Princess...).  What I'm looking for:

--One-way, approx. 7 nights, Vancouver to Anchorage area (prefer Seward, but can be flexible on the final port)

--Ketchikan, no problem

--Skagway, no problem

--Sitka

--Glacier Bay

Seems like Sitka and Glacier Bay are mutually exclusive.  VERY frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to do a day trip to either one of them from another cruise port like maybe Juneau?  Or Icy Strait?  Or...???

Thanks.

I think you may need to let go of something. There are no practical day trips to Sitka or Glacier Bay from other ports while on a cruise. Princess has a dandy 11 night that includes both plus Hubbard Glacier which would be a treat although it’s round trip out of Vancouver.

Agree Sitka has been an exceptional port, our favorite.  Glad we went several times years ago now. There is a recent thread on Trip Advisor that indicates it is now getting overrun by visitors and just isn’t what it used to be although still a good stop.

DaveOKC, Celebrity Cruises has an itinerary for 2024 (they haven't published 2025's) that does include both Skagway and Sitka.  I was so excited... until I realized it didn't include Glacier Bay.  I did call and they said that itinerary will likely stay the same for 2025 and they simply don't do Glacier Bay.  😞  

1 hour ago, ksmetamaid said:

DaveOKC, Celebrity Cruises has an itinerary for 2024 (they haven't published 2025's) that does include both Skagway and Sitka.  I was so excited... until I realized it didn't include Glacier Bay.  I did call and they said that itinerary will likely stay the same for 2025 and they simply don't do Glacier Bay.  😞  

RCCL/Celebrity definitely won't be including Glacier Bay, as they have no permits under the current contract.

33 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

RCCL/Celebrity definitely won't be including Glacier Bay, as they have no permits under the current contract.

That is too bad, as Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier are the things we love to see the most.

Are you set on seeing Glacier Bay from the water? If not, a flightseeing tour from Skagway that goes OVER Glacier Bay might be an option for you. We did a tour with Mountain Flying Service on a previous visit to Skagway (in 2017) and it was spectacular!

I have a blog post about our tour if you want to get an idea of what it was like. I also have a corresponding YouTube video from our flight. We had a long port day in Skagway and were able to rent a car and drive up into the Yukon and still have time for the flight in the evening. 

• Like 1

AryMay, thank you.  My first choice was to see Glacier Bay by water, but I hadn't ruled out a possible flight seeing tour.  I just wish it was from some other place than Skagway, since I do have other things I'd like to do there.  But this is something to look in to.  And I'll check our your blog.  Thanks!

• Like 1

The closest I can see to your wish list is one itinerary on Norwegian jewel on random dates next summer which has Hubbard glacier rather than glacier bay. Screenshot below.. 

IMG_5749.png

Edited by eileeshb
Wrong screenshot

18 hours ago, ksmetamaid said:

Thank you Elileeshb.  I appreciate your research!

Once upon a time there was a filter option for ports of call, a TA might still have access to that type of search. One of my cousins told me her husband got himself a TA license just so he could access way more information to find good prices for their own cruise holidays.