Pantheon Tickets and Lineups

TheHawk1

I tried purchasing Pantheon advance tickets online for early October, through the official web site, to avoid having to line up for tickets when in Rome.  For some strange reason, they are only selling tickets up to September 30, with no advance tickets for October or beyond available for sale.

Just wondering if anyone has visited recently, e.g. in September, and could comment on how long the lines were at the Pantheon to purchase entrance tickets?  There were many online comments during July and August of people waiting in the hot sun for over an hour to get a ticket. Hoping that has changed now that summer is over?

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

I tried purchasing Pantheon advance tickets online for early October, through the official web site, to avoid having to line up for tickets when in Rome.  For some strange reason, they are only selling tickets up to September 30, with no advance tickets for October or beyond available for sale.

Just wondering if anyone has visited recently, e.g. in September, and could comment on how long the lines were at the Pantheon to purchase entrance tickets?  There were many online comments during July and August of people waiting in the hot sun for over an hour to get a ticket. Hoping that has changed now that summer is over?

We were there last November.  Bought on-line tickets easily a week ahead of time. No problem.  What day are you looking for in October?  Perhaps they come available on October 1.  Or perhaps 1 week ahead of time.  Don't think you'll have a problem.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We were there last November.  Bought on-line tickets easily a week ahead of time. No problem.  What day are you looking for in October?  Perhaps they come available on October 1.  Or perhaps 1 week ahead of time.  Don't think you'll have a problem.

It's odd because tickets for September were bookable back in August, but there is nothing for booking October now, even with just a couple weeks to go.  I will be there on Oct. 5 and our ship leaves Oct. 1, so was hoping to book something in advance.  I know we'll get in, but would prefer not to wait in line if I can avoid it.

2 hours ago, Girr said:

As they just started selling tickets to the Pantheon in July, no established history. It shouldn’t be as bad as this summer hopefully. 

Not true.  Yes, established history.

We did this last November and had no problem getting Pantheon tickets ahead of time.

Perhaps they stopped selling them for a few months ahead of this summer due to selling out.

Are you sure you didn't prebook a tour?  While it was under discussion for some time, it wasn't until March of this year the Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano introduced the requirement for admission tickets.  This requirement went into effect 3 July 2023.  Prior to that you could book a tour, however a ticket for admission wasn't required.

5€ fee for tourists, free for Rome residents, worshippers, and those under 18

In March 2023, Culture Minister for a 5€ entry fee to this stunning monument.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Girr said:

Are you sure you didn't prebook a tour?  While it was under discussion for some time, it wasn't until March of this year the Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano introduced the requirement for admission tickets.  This requirement went into effect 3 July 2023.  Prior to that you could book a tour, however a ticket for admission wasn't required.

There are two types of advance tickets you can purchase online… one for the 5 Euro entrance fee which, just came into effect this year as you said, and another one for a guided tour or self audio tour.  However, the tour tickets are of no use unless you have the entrance ticket first. That’s the one I’m looking to book now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Girr said:

Sorry - no tour.  Just the basic 5 euro entry fee.  It was well worth it, and yes a ticket for admission was required to enter.  Those who did not have one had to stand in a long line to get one.  Not sure what transpired.  Maybe they stopped that process.

image.thumb.png.6618f38eaa4f63be28107023fe452013.png

Lots of times still available for Oct 5!

Just an fyi, when I registered my email at the beginning, the confirmation email went to my spam box and wouldn't let me click on the link to verify my email. I moved the email to my inbox and the link worked then.

Also, for credit card, my american Visa didn't work, so I used PayPal and it went through.

22 hours ago, CatBoiler said:

image.thumb.png.6618f38eaa4f63be28107023fe452013.png

Lots of times still available for Oct 5!

Just an fyi, when I registered my email at the beginning, the confirmation email went to my spam box and wouldn't let me click on the link to verify my email. I moved the email to my inbox and the link worked then.

Also, for credit card, my american Visa didn't work, so I used PayPal and it went through.

None of those dates were available on the web site when I first posted my question. They must have just updated the site for the month of October.

You're right about not being able to process a North American credit card.  Tried two different ones.  Have had no issues in the past with online ticket purchases for Vatican, Colosseum, etc.  Don't know why the Italian government can't figure out how to make this work.  Spent all this time waiting to buy  tickets and now still have nothing.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:47 PM, CCWineLover said:

Sorry - no tour.  Just the basic 5 euro entry fee.  It was well worth it, and yes a ticket for admission was required to enter.  Those who did not have one had to stand in a long line to get one.  Not sure what transpired.  Maybe they stopped that process.

What site did you use to book the basic 5 euro entry fee?  TIA!

12 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Sorry - that was awhile ago.  Got the website while in Rome from our guide at the Colesseum.

Gotcha.  The link CatBoiler posted was 18 euro per person as far as I could tell.  It felt like a TripAdvisor-like site and not a direct link to the Pantheon.  Maybe I can book it when we are in Rome.

43 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Gotcha.  The link CatBoiler posted was 18 euro per person as far as I could tell.  It felt like a TripAdvisor-like site and not a direct link to the Pantheon.  Maybe I can book it when we are in Rome.

Here's a website with the best directions I've read for getting your basic ticket/reservation: 

https://mamalovesrome.com/visiting-the-pantheon-rome/

This link walks you through it and also has the link to the "real" (5 euro) ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Here's a website with the best directions I've read for getting your basic ticket/reservation: 

https://mamalovesrome.com/visiting-the-pantheon-rome/

This link walks you through it and also has the link to the "real" (5 euro) ticket.

I did it!!  Printed out my two tickets and it truly helped having mamalovesrome walk through.  Thank you for posting @cruisemom42

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I did it!!  Printed out my two tickets and it truly helped having mamalovesrome walk through.  Thank you for posting @cruisemom42

Interested in how you completed the transaction online?  Their web site won't take U.S. (or Canadian) credit cards and I don't use (or trust) PayPal.

51 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Interested in how you completed the transaction online?  Their web site won't take U.S. (or Canadian) credit cards and I don't use (or trust) PayPal.

I have a PayPal account and the site mamalovesrome that walked me through the process said that other credit cards don't always go through so I used my PayPal account. The total for two tickets was 11.50 euro. I had to select an hour time slot that we would arrive.   The site that mamalovesrome has a link to for tickets is https://portale.museiitaliani.it/b2c/#en/buyTicketless

I felt that it was very helpful reading the steps provided at mamalovesrome and even with that, I had a few stumbles. @marazul

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Curious why you don't trust PayPal?

I've used them for years to pay for private tours, rentals, purchases, etc.

Here's an update, in case anyone is checking this question in future searches.

I emailed the Italian Ministry Helpdesk and they responded.  There is an option on the payment screen to change the ecommerce provider before you process the credit card.  I changed from the default setting to "Nexi", which is a Visa card provider and it worked.  The instructions on the web site are not self-explanatory, but the option is there. Perhaps MamaLovesRome should update her otherwise excellent advice?

I have my tickets now and won't have to stand in line!

• Like 2