Bath robes in public areas

CocktailPrincess

When I first started cruising nearly 30 years ago, bathrobes were only available in suites if my memory serves me right. I can remember some would parade in the buffet area at breakfast with a superior air of snobbery. Don't see so much these days and IMO it isn't a good luck away from spas and outside decks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Based on the judgmental views expressed here make me not want to try out a British cruise line. I don't need experience on P&O to know that wandering around a cruise ship in a bathrobe is fine. Eating in a bathrobe is fine. I'll quote they who quoted others:

I like my cruise vacations like I like my life. Simple and relaxing. Based on this thread it sounds as if P&O is neither. 

That’s a shame. As others have said the only judgemental one is not a Brit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Queen Victoria once, it was January, there was about 6 inches of snow on the deck, the wind was blowing and it was dark. We watched ( from a warm vantage point) a couple stroll across the deck in bath robes and get in the hot tub. Now we did turn and look, not because they werevwearing bath robes on deck ( haha yes even on Cunard😂😂😂) but we thought they were brave, rather them than us. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, amajaa said:

We were on Queen Victoria once, it was January, there was about 6 inches of snow on the deck, the wind was blowing and it was dark. We watched ( from a warm vantage point) a couple stroll across the deck in bath robes and get in the hot tub. Now we did turn and look, not because they werevwearing bath robes on deck ( haha yes even on Cunard😂😂😂) but we thought they were brave, rather them than us. 

There were plenty of people using the pools and hot tubs on our Alaska cruise, most using their dressing gowns.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I bet that was actually magical for them to be honest

(Once they were in the hot tub)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

May I ask what use you put any provided bathrobe to when they are provided?  Looking at advertising for high end cruise lines they all feature pictures of couples snuggled up in robes on deck or on their balconies.

To tell you the truth, I don't use bathrobes.  After I shower, I go straight to my nightgown.  

Couples snuggled up on balconies aren't in public.  

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

A dressing gown - attached example on sale in Cotton Traders.

Oh, that's a dressing gown?  I'd have called it a robe.  

4 hours ago, amajaa said:

@cruiseny4life it only seems to be one person who is being judgemental so don’t let that put you off cruising with P & O . We  have always found people on board really friendly

I'm really friendly, but I'm not going to agree that wearing your bathrobe in public is appropriate.  I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To tell you the truth, I don't use bathrobes.  After I shower, I go straight to my nightgown.  

Couples snuggled up on balconies aren't in public.  

Oh, that's a dressing gown?  I'd have called it a robe.  

I'm really friendly, but I'm not going to agree that wearing your bathrobe in public is appropriate.  I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.  

Thank you for your explanation.  Clearly this is a cultural difference.  Wearing your robe over your nightclothes or to go to a swimming pool or hot tub is very acceptable in the UK and Europe and in fact there are many places where if you don't wear one to transfer between the spa/swimming pool/tub you would be chastised as that is exactly what they are provided for.

What you call a "bathrobe" is known merely as a "robe" here and is in fact an item of clothing intended for warmth and to cover items of swimwear, in other words as ICF mentioned earlier is intended to transfer in public areas - not food venues which from my experience happens I'm the US and on US cruise lines.

"Robes" are actually used as a form of modesty and are a far better option than watching some oversized beer bellied individual wobbling about the decks and corridors!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Let's be honest some of Europeans on board would be walking around naked in the spa if they were allowed

Not normally Brits though, especially ones that cruise, they are normally horrified at being naked in public. I have lived in Germany for many years and it's a different story there. It used to be quite funny in the changing rooms of the swimming pools, you could normally tell the Brits ( including me I might add) they were the ones that used to go to the showers wrapped in their towels and then try to put them over the door or somewhere where they wouldn't get wet when the water came on. We lived on Army camps and it was always a topic of conversation about what to do in the changing rooms/showers when we were at the pools.  The Husband weren't bothered at all as they had all lived in army barracks etc. 

26 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Not normally Brits though, especially ones that cruise, they are normally horrified at being naked in public. I have lived in Germany for many years and it's a different story there. It used to be quite funny in the changing rooms of the swimming pools, you could normally tell the Brits ( including me I might add) they were the ones that used to go to the showers wrapped in their towels and then try to put them over the door or somewhere where they wouldn't get wet when the water came on. We lived on Army camps and it was always a topic of conversation about what to do in the changing rooms/showers when we were at the pools.  The Husband weren't bothered at all as they had all lived in army barracks etc. 

Just adding I'm talking about the husband's not being bothered about walking around naked in the gents changing rooms not in the whole complex. They wouldn't have done that. 

• Haha 3

On 9/14/2023 at 8:20 PM, Interestedcruisefan said:

Let's be honest some of Europeans on board would be walking around naked in the spa if they were allowed

Yes they would, because Naturism and nudity in spas and pools is just normal in most of Europe. It's only the British and Americans who have hangups about the human body. I've been to loads of spas and clothes optional beaches in Europe. In fact I've been considering a European cruise line with an FKK sun deck. And yes I go to the pool or hot tub in my robe, but not a dining venue. Can we not all live and let live?

• Like 4