Wifi free anywhere on Princess ships

Candycane10

12 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I think that's sort of obvious...

Maybe they should add step 0:   make sure your device is powered on.  🙂

Don't laugh. I once had someone call me at work and tell me her computer was completely dead. I asked (several times) if she was sure there was power to the unit. She told me that everything else in the entire office had power but her computer had simply died. I drove 2 hours to her office, walked in, took one look at her desk, and pushed the "On" button on her power station. Apparently she had managed to turn it off when dusting and didn't realize it "had anything to do" with the problem. After all, she didn't normally mess with it so it wasn't important. I just said it wasn't a problem and to have a good day. Then I helped a couple other folks in the office with problems and went back to my own office.  It was a nice day for a drive. (A Master's Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling doesn't mean one has even a jot of common sense. That is a fact that was proven over and over and over and over during my tenure with the state.)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I think that's sort of obvious...

Maybe they should add step 0:   make sure your device is powered on.  🙂

It should be obvious but I have read a bunch of people posting the last few years on CC who seem to think all that is needed is the app and who do't seem to understand that they have to be connected to the internet.

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It should be obvious but I have read a bunch of people posting the last few years on CC who seem to think all that is needed is the app and who do't seem to understand that they have to be connected to the internet.

There is frequently advice here to put one's phone in airplane mode.

Often the important second step is not mentioned...

Put you phone in airplane mode.

Then, turn wifi back on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, deltahog said:

I'm definitely going to print this out and take it then.

"Our Internet Café is filled with computers so it’s easy to access your mail account or browse the Internet for world news, sports and stock trading. Or bring your own electronic devices and access the Internet through our improved onboard wireless service. The Internet Café is open 24 hours a day."

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/activities/internet-cafe.html

It doesn’t state its free just that it’s available 

On 9/17/2023 at 3:31 AM, MissP22 said:

Yes, I realize that I wouldn't be able to call outside phones without an INTERNET connection but just to call each other on the ship in the same network it may be possible. 

Still hoping. 

In the app, there is shipmate messaging that works in the ship net, but it will not give notifications there is a message, we had our kids set a timer to check it regularly 

1 hour ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

In the app, there is shipmate messaging that works in the ship net, but it will not give notifications there is a message, we had our kids set a timer to check it regularly 

Without an audible alert, it's practically useless. 

We might even go back to using Walkie Talkies next cruise since we won't have internet. It should be very quiet since most people have the package with internet service. 

• Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
29 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We might even go back to using Walkie Talkies next cruise since we won't have internet. It should be very quiet since most people have the package with internet service. 

The first cruise I took I used walkie-talkies to keep in touch with my DW.

35 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Would you really not pay extra for anything  that would make your trip less hassle/more enjoyable?  Increasing costs for everything is the way of the world now and kicking against the traces will change nothing except diminish by degrees your overall experience and pleasure…..unless of course the self-denial is the pleasure. 

49 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Walkie Talkies are definitly audible. Personally I don't like bother other people but to each their own. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Walkie Talkies are definitly audible. Personally I don't like bother other people but to each their own. 

What about people talking on their phone? There's plenty of them these days since most people have a package and make full use of it. 

You do what you have to do, but discreetly. 

2 hours ago, teenieleek said:

Would you really not pay extra for anything  that would make your trip less hassle/more enjoyable?  Increasing costs for everything is the way of the world now and kicking against the traces will change nothing except diminish by degrees your overall experience and pleasure…..unless of course the self-denial is the pleasure. 

We don't deny ourselves much in life but internet to me service service is a complete waste of money. We can call and text others when we reach any of the ports for free so why should I have to on the ship? We can get the news via TV and I certainly can bring sufficient movies and games to entertain myself. 

I would sure like to know what people use the unlimited internet for on a vacation. 

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

What about people talking on their phone? There's plenty of them these days since most people have a package and make full use of it. 

You do what you have to do, but discreetly. 

Walkie Talkies have that annoying squelch. The constant hiss. No way to make that discreet. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Walkie Talkies have that annoying squelch. The constant hiss. No way to make that discreet. 

Mine had an earphone socket (wired). I would be very surprised if you couldn't get them with Bluetooth headphone connects too now

8 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We don't deny ourselves much in life but internet to me service service is a complete waste of money. We can call and text others when we reach any of the ports for free so why should I have to on the ship? We can get the news via TV and I certainly can bring sufficient movies and games to entertain myself. 

I would sure like to know what people use the unlimited internet for on a vacation. 

I use WiFi at least 2hours a day for news, sports and checking email

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It's sometimes necessary and It is what it is. 

Princess hasn't banned them. 

They certainly are not necessary and from overhearing people trying to using them they don't seem to be having an easy time connecting. Some are oblivious or don't care about being annoying. They only think about themselves. I feel the same about people using speakerphones in public. Why? 

16 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Mine had an earphone socket (wired). I would be very surprised if you couldn't get them with Bluetooth headphone connects too now

Listening to the squelch on walkie talkies through headphones can cause hearing loss. I had to carry a radio at work and they offered earphones but we researched it and found out they can cause hearing loss. As we always had to have the radio on while on duty we did not wear the earphones.  We never had problem connecting like happens on ships because we had repeaters so that di minimize the squelch.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Listening to the squelch on walkie talkies through headphones can cause hearing loss. I had to carry a radio at work and they offered earphones but we researched it and found out they can cause hearing loss. As we always had to have the radio on while on duty we did not wear the earphones.  We never had problem connecting like happens on ships because we had repeaters so that di minimize the squelch.

Probably why cops do this: 

image.jpeg.85e53817d13a32ba42c6d5672d42654e.jpeg

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They certainly are not necessary and from overhearing people trying to using them they don't seem to be having an easy time connecting. Some are oblivious or don't care about being annoying. They only think about themselves. I feel the same about people using speakerphones in public. Why? 

They might not be a necessity for you, so don't use them.

We prefer to communicate at times & they do serve a purpose, even if the connection isn't the best on the ship. 

16 hours ago, memoak said:

I use WiFi at least 2hours a day for news, sports and checking email

I honestly don't receive any emails that can't wait a day until we reach the next port.

I certainly don't care about any sports and as far as the news goes, it's all BS anyway plus if your that concerned about it there's always the TV. 

The only conceivable thing that people could use the Wi-Fi for is if they were working on the ship.