Vaporetto to Venice City Center Tronchetto from St Marks

kurtp13

I have my Royal Caribbean shuttle booked from Venice to Ravenna at 9am from City Center Tronchetto.     We are staying near St Mark's Square but our hotel is down a small canal that requires an extra fee to reach.  That makes it a bit more expensive.  So I was hoping to take a vaporetto.    I have read that taking the people mover was required to reach the proper platform.    But looking at a map there appear to be vaporetto stops.   It seems it would be much easier to get to the shuttle with one form of transportation and not have to drag luggage around quite so far.    

Is it possible to take the vaporetto directly to the correct area for the shuttle avoiding the people mover?

Does the vaporetto run consistently enough to take it to the Tronchetto at that time of day?

37 minutes ago, kurtp13 said:

I have my Royal Caribbean shuttle booked from Venice to Ravenna at 9am from City Center Tronchetto.     We are staying near St Mark's Square but our hotel is down a small canal that requires an extra fee to reach.  That makes it a bit more expensive.  So I was hoping to take a vaporetto.    I have read that taking the people mover was required to reach the proper platform.    But looking at a map there appear to be vaporetto stops.   It seems it would be much easier to get to the shuttle with one form of transportation and not have to drag luggage around quite so far.    

Is it possible to take the vaporetto directly to the correct area for the shuttle avoiding the people mover?

Does the vaporetto run consistently enough to take it to the Tronchetto at that time of day?

I just looked at the route map for the vaporetti. Since you mention that your hotel is near St. Mark's I assume that is the stop you would use to get on the vaporetto?

It does appear that the #2 vaporetto runs from St. Mark's to the Tronchetto parking area. The #2 vaporetto is scheduled to run every 12 minutes from morning until late evening. (It runs at night too, but less often). You would need to board it at the platform labeled San Marco - San Zaccaria B (this is very important to ensure you're headed the right direction!)

Here is the list of stops after boarding at San Marco. I picked a hypothetical 8:37 am routing, but you can see how much time it takes to get to Tronchetto, where there are two stops. On the schematic map, these two stops appear about equidistant from where the People Mover stop is (and where the buses are), but I'm not sure if that is borne out in real life. Sometimes those schematic maps are not totally accurate as to placement. (Note: #2 is the route shown in red; the "N" is the "night boat").

image.thumb.png.7c85a704c727991aed322a2f5cffb72d.png 

You probably want to investigate further on your own. This link will take you to the ACTV (vaporetti) overall route plan as well as let you dig down to see individual routes, such as for the #2. It takes a little time to decipher. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by cruisemom42

Yes, Line 2 is going directly from Tronchetto to St. Mark´s Square (either via the Guidecca Canal or the Grand Canal).

What intrigues me a little is "Tronchetto City Center". Tronchetto is a parking space on an island on the West side of Venice followed by the former cruise port at Stazione Marittima. Usually all cruise ship busses are going to Stazione Marittima - at least for those ships which depart from "Venice" (Fusina or Marghera). It might be that the shuttle to/from Ravenna is going to the tourist parking area Tronchetto.

You can also take the People Mover from Tronchetto to Piazzale Roma and board another line there. The tow major lines through the Grand Canal are 1 and 2 with line 1 having more stops.

Our hotel was within walking distance of St. Mark´s Square but the closest vaporetto stop was S. Giglio. This one was only served by line 1 and not by line 2. So you might check out with google maps which vaporetto stop is the closest to your hotel and which line stops there.

If you stay a couple of days in Venice get a day or multi day ticket for the ACTV vaporetti (we had an 48 hour ticket). The easiest way is to buy it via the AVM App. But make sure you download the app at home and get the payment features working. Most stops have sort of scanners where you you hold the QR code on your cell phone below the scanner and then the door opens. The ticket BTW does include the People Mover.

steamboats

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

What intrigues me a little is "Tronchetto City Center". Tronchetto is a parking space on an island on the West side of Venice followed by the former cruise port at Stazione Marittima. Usually all cruise ship busses are going to Stazione Marittima - at least for those ships which depart from "Venice" (Fusina or Marghera). It might be that the shuttle to/from Ravenna is going to the tourist parking area Tronchetto.

I think you've nailed it, the bus to Ravenna departs from Tronchetto.  It seems that this is a place where some punctuation would greatly enhance communication, as I think they mean to say Venice City Center, Tronchetto or Venice City Center (Tronchetto).  The generality is Venice City Center, while Tronchetto is the specific locaiton.  Kind of the same way cruise lines say the stop is Florence, but let you know it's really Livorno in parentheses. 

• Like 3

I think cruisemom42 provided the answer.    Obviously this is confusing to me, which is why I asked the question.    The shuttles leave from the bus stop area of the transportation area in Venice.  That is what I was looking for.  I was not looking for the airport or cruise terminals within Venice to catch a shuttle bus.  I need to catch the organized bus to Ravenna early in the morning and was looking to avoid transferring from local boat to people mover.