QM2 Mixed Review: Some deferred maintenance, poor food, but a delight otherwise

gphb

6 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I wholeheartedly agree with both David and Techteach. We really are on the same page. 
But I must add that the sole you live so much has been frozen. Not possible to have fresh Dover sole on any ship. 

I’m not sure what the distinction is between fresh and frozen fish. If you think that, say, Atlantic cod is often caught by trawlers that are away for weeks, and the fish is kept over ice, it is in effect frozen before it reaches land. And certainly once, long ago, on a NE cruise, on QE2, the QG waiter said they had brought lobsters on board that morning and did we want some. So it used to happen unless they were lying.

• Like 3

I think some posts now are just wind ups.

Bottom line, QG menus might not suit all, all the time [eg us] but the facility to go off menu solves that and the regulars are more than happy with the fare so  prospective newbies don't need to worry about it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

To answer one concern I feel all food on every ship I have sailed on is mediocre. It really can’t be more given the time and numbers of people served. 
QG no better or worse than any fining on any luxury ship. Guess what annoys me is folks think QG is better than the rest. It isn’t. All pretty much the same. 
If you really want a terrific meal while cruising bear ashore. We frequently do. 

I really don’t think that, even by the most exacting standards, the rack of Dartmoor Lamb I have had in QG is mediocre.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I think some posts now are just wind ups.

Bottom line, QG menus might not suit all, all the time [eg us] but the facility to go off menu solves that and the regulars are more than happy with the fare so  prospective newbies don't need to worry about it.

I agree, Victoria. I was wondering why some people are coming back repeatedly to make snarky, negative comments about a cruise line that clearly is not to their taste (but on which they seem to continue to expend considerable funds).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Yes, QG is a mediocre restaurant tarted up with a lot of tableside shenanigans that went out thirty years ago. 
Again, that doesn’t make it bad. I like to be fussed over by maitre d’s as much as anyone. Maybe more. 
Let’s just recognize it for what it is. 

You're clearly in the wrong place if that's how you feel.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I would agree that I much prefer having the same waiter at every meal. The good ones anticipate your wishes after a couple days. I lament that this has disappeared on most if the luxury lines. On Crystal the maitre d knows I want the same wait station every night. Feels grand. 

I too enjoy having same waiter. Like you I if I like a particular server I ask to be seated in his or her area. It can be done

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Not only were Crystal's cabins small, they were shabby - very worn.

I'm not entirely clear if you're saying Crystal was a luxury line (they used to promote themselves as being 'six star' which in my opinion was nonsense). Their food was generally reasonable quality without being luxurious with some glaring exceptions which were very sub par (such as Crepes Suzette made with thick chewy pancakes and a hideous sauce). Their included wines in the dining room were unpalatable in my opinion.

They were popular among their loyal cruisers but were not a luxury line in my opinion, having sailed with them.

QG and PG on Cunard are of a higher quality from my experience.

I'm a bit mystified by you r story of no butter. I can't imagine why there was no butter in the buffet at the time you asked as they normally have it. Perhaps the waiter misunderstood your question.

Don’t you dare say that on the crystal boards. Heresy. 

ships are old but they where just refurbished after a&k purchase. Cabins tiny 

entertainment enrichment and service were superb but you can find that on other lines 

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

You're clearly in the wrong place if that's how you feel.

He’s not in the wrong place. I have spoken to others on board who are not impressed with qg food. Every line has pluses and minuses. No cruise line is perfect. There are aspects of Cunard that I think are great and I am loving my b2b sailing. 

you really need to be more tolerant of opinions contrary to yours. They are opinions. We are all entitled to our own. I would go on qm2 again but not because the food is great

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

I agree, Victoria. I was wondering why some people are coming back repeatedly to make snarky, negative comments about a cruise line that clearly is not to their taste (but on which they seem to continue to expend considerable funds).

It is not snarky to say food is mediocre. It is opinion

the hostility on these boards toward contrary opinion is astounding 

Edited by bitob

There is extreme intolerance for contrary opinions on food 

my frame of reference for what is great food may be quite different from others. 

same with entertainment. Those who were brought up with Broadway or west end productions will view production show on a ship more critically then someone from a small town in eg Iowa who has never been to a great theater 

14 minutes ago, bitob said:

It is not snarky to say food is mediocre. It is opinion

the hostility on these boards toward contrary opinion is astounding 

It is an opinion but it's being posted as if it's a fact and with no detail about why it's mediocre and from one poster who later posted that all cruise line food is mediocre. You can understand the frustration of those who have enjoyed the food on Cunard. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bitob said:

Don’t you dare say that on the crystal boards. Heresy. 

ships are old but they where just refurbished after a&k purchase. Cabins tiny 

entertainment enrichment and service were superb but you can find that on other lines 

You are telling me I mustn't dare to give an opinion (expressed as an opinion) on the Crystal board whereas you seem to think it acceptable to present your opinions here as pure fact.

I wouldn't dream of patronising the Crystal board with gratuitous denigration of its product amongst those who are fond of what they offer.

But I would indeed 'dare' if I saw some point in the exercise despite your direction to me not to do so.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bitob said:

I never raised the issue of caviar. I just responded that I hadn’t seen any when you mentioned it 

reread the thread

With the implication, it seemed to me, that it wasn’t available. Otherwise, why say so, at least without a caveat that it may well have been being consumed elsewhere?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NE John said:

He’s was hired by Cunard to be in charge of the Golden Lion Pub on QA. 
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/media-centre/michel-roux-queen-anne-partnership#

Hopefully he’ll branch out to other Cunard ships and onboard restaurants. 

I must say I really wouldn’t have thought a pub was quite the best milieu for him. And to the poster who mentioned parading around in a white toque, he really didn’t do that in his restaurant, but did come out to chat with the punters towards the end of service, having spent the rest of the time checking the dishes at the pass. 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I never raised the issue of caviar. I just responded that I hadn’t seen any when you mentioned it 

reread the thread

No one said you did but your comment or response, call it what you like, prompted discussion. Hence my reply.

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It is an opinion but it's being posted as if it's a fact and with no detail about why it's mediocre and from one poster who later posted that all cruise line food is mediocre. You can understand the frustration of those who have enjoyed the food on Cunard. 

Exactly, i asked Whipsnade in post 204 with what cruise lines is he comparing QG's so called mediocre food with, as of yet he has not replied to my post.

16 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

To answer one concern I feel all food on every ship I have sailed on is mediocre. It really can’t be more given the time and numbers of people served. 
QG no better or worse than any fining on any luxury ship. Guess what annoys me is folks think QG is better than the rest. It isn’t. All pretty much the same. 
If you really want a terrific meal while cruising bear ashore. We frequently do. 

6 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Exactly, i asked Whipsnade in post 204 with what cruise lines is he comparing QG's so called mediocre food with, as of yet he has not replied to my post.

I think this was the answer, they are all mediocre. 

11 hours ago, techteach said:

I think the idea for mounding is to get a taste of everything in one bite.

Not the place for this discussion, I suppose, but having said that :) 

It seems like a poorer solution than allowing me to do it myself - or more to the point NOT do it if I just want a taste of each element.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Not the place for this discussion, I suppose, but having said that 🙂

It seems like a poorer solution than allowing me to do it myself - or more to the point NOT do it if I just want a taste of each element.

That's where the Lido comes in. A bit of this, a bit of that and with some sushi and stirfry on the side. A perfect lunch!

Just don't go too heavy on the wasabi as it plays havoc with stir fry. 😀

4 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Not the place for this discussion, I suppose, but having said that 🙂

The fashion for piling seems to be dying out - at least over here.

• Like 2