San Francisco help

We are stopping in SF for a day on our cruise. We are considering taking an excursion because we are unfamiliar with the port. We want to go to Alcatraz and Fishermans Wharf. How easy and safe is it for us to do it on our own? Is it walkable?

Thank you

2 hours ago, eyegirl said:

We are considering taking an excursion because we are unfamiliar with the port. We want to go to Alcatraz and Fishermans Wharf. How easy and safe is it for us to do it on our own? Is it walkable?

You are docking in the middle of a major city. As negn mentioned, Fishermans Wharf is just down the street from where your ship docks and is easily walkable. 

Alcatraz does require a ferry, but more importantly it requires reservations for that ferry which can sell out in advance. There isn't really a need for an excursion but I would book and reserve the tickets for Alcatraz well before your cruise date-- you'll avoid the markup the cruise line has on it. If they were sold out directly then I would consider booking the cruise line excursion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 4:49 PM, princeton123211 said:

You are docking in the middle of a major city. As negn mentioned, Fishermans Wharf is just down the street from where your ship docks and is easily walkable. 

Alcatraz does require a ferry, but more importantly it requires reservations for that ferry which can sell out in advance. There isn't really a need for an excursion but I would book and reserve the tickets for Alcatraz well before your cruise date-- you'll avoid the markup the cruise line has on it. If they were sold out directly then I would consider booking the cruise line excursion. 

Completely agree with your advice.  Reserve Alcatraz ahead of time.  Easy to walk down to Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39.  The area is reasonably safe.  These days wouldn't venture too far into the city, but along the embarcadero it is mostly tourists, with an occasional homeless person here or there.

• Like 1

Is the ship offering an Alcatraz excursion?  If so it might be best to book it with them.  If you are there overnight I would do the nighttime Alcatraz tour. The view of the city from the island is awesome and the night tour of the prison is really creepy.  You didn't mention the time of the year.  The night tour or even the day tour during the winter can get really cold.  The prison has no heat, drafty, and no sun.  Dress warm and take layers no matter the time of the year.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2