Regent “We do not provide this service.”

PaulaJK

Clarification…Some passengers used their personal wheelchair..either manually or with an assist

through out the cruise. I have no information as to whether R would help them navigate the gangplank. Our  request was for WC assistance since husband has mobility issues even with cane

and  the unknown configuration of the gangplank plus the distance would present a challenge.

4 hours ago, newlondon said:

So PaulaJK what has been your solution? We are doing Montreal to Boston on Grandeur next year. Both of us over 80 and I need a rollator to prevent falls. I can do distance but not sure about DW.

I spoke to Regent when reserving, the answer obviously was "no problem". Right

4 hours ago, newlondon said:

No solution from me. Perhaps  Grandeur has a different policy? However, at this juncture I would not accept a telephone rep’s answer. Involve your TA or ask for it in writing?

Also you might check the distance involved in a Boston disembarkation.

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

Clarification…Some passengers used their personal wheelchair..either manually or with an assist

through out the cruise. I have no information as to whether R would help them navigate the gangplank. Our  request was for WC assistance since husband has mobility issues even with cane

and  the unknown configuration of the gangplank plus the distance would present a challenge.

In over 450 nights, I have always seen security offer to help a passenger who needs it - wheelchair or not. I cannot imagine they would refuse.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, PaulaJK said:

Casablanca was an impossibility for many.

We have just completed a cruise on another cruise line that includes Casablanca. Our destination services were very clear that Casablanca port services are very unhelpful when it comes to allowing shuttle buses into the working commercial/cargo port. They said they have asked multiple times when visiting and sometimes had even worse push back so now they accept it and just warn passengers.

It is a pity as Casablanca was a fascinating port for us and it is a pity that people who can't do the long walk to the port gates don't get to see it but it is a port decision not any cruise ship.

The port articulates its rules. A cruise line company decides whether the port rules are conducive to their visit/ itinerary. Not crying over Casablanca per se, I was just pointing to the challenges for older citizens or those w. mobility/ medical  issues when very long walks and a dearth of shuttles combine.

I’ve been on Voyager for a few days and disappointed that the tour desk upgraded 3 of my 4 booked excursions to moderate from easy. They also cancelled the 4th one when we were at dinner the first night due to operational reasons. I think because the weather was unpredictable and we were doing an open top bus tour. The excursion lady tried to convince me that I’d be ok doing a moderate level activity but as I don’t want to the the entitled selfish one as referred to by that ignorant poster last week, I declined. So pretty disappointed that there’s nothing for me to do but we’ve hired a private guide which seemed to be the only way forward.

19 minutes ago, casperthecat said:

I’ve been on Voyager for a few days and disappointed that the tour desk upgraded 3 of my 4 booked excursions to moderate from easy. They also cancelled the 4th one when we were at dinner the first night due to operational reasons. I think because the weather was unpredictable and we were doing an open top bus tour. The excursion lady tried to convince me that I’d be ok doing a moderate level activity but as I don’t want to the the entitled selfish one as referred to by that ignorant poster last week, I declined. So pretty disappointed that there’s nothing for me to do but we’ve hired a private guide which seemed to be the only way forward.

I certainly can't speak for your personal situation, but depending on the tour description, I've often found that the activity level is a bit exaggerated.  Having said that, I would definitely consider it like you have.  But depending on the tour description, don't worry about being the "entitled selfish one."  You have every right to be on the tour too.  If the tour is a lot of walking (assuming that's a problem for you) then sure, you probably should cancel.  But if it's a tour where there is an option to not walk, i.e. stay at the bus, then by all means go on it and let the complainers pound sand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I certainly can't speak for your personal situation, but depending on the tour description, I've often found that the activity level is a bit exaggerated.  Having said that, I would definitely consider it like you have.  But depending on the tour description, don't worry about being the "entitled selfish one."  You have every right to be on the tour too.  If the tour is a lot of walking (assuming that's a problem for you) then sure, you probably should cancel.  But if it's a tour where there is an option to not walk, i.e. stay at the bus, then by all means go on it and let the complainers pound sand. 

Excellent advice - you can stay on the bus even if all others get off. The driver will keep it running and it will be cool/warm as needed for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fizzy said:

I was wondering if there are some age restrictions for included excursions starting to pop up   in addition to the degree of difficulty notations and who determines this? Thank you.

No - that would get them into a lot of trouble...not to mention the average age of the guests is pretty high.

This past Spring in Japan you could not stay on the bus most of the time.  We were told that at least in most of Tokyo it is against the law.  This left several of us looking for benches or walls to wait while the group hiked off to see some unwanted overlook of the city, bridge, or whatever.  I am not sure if the ship destination people are up to date on what is allowed in the various ports.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scout16 said:

This past Spring in Japan you could not stay on the bus most of the time.  We were told that at least in most of Tokyo it is against the law.  This left several of us looking for benches or walls to wait while the group hiked off to see some unwanted overlook of the city, bridge, or whatever.  I am not sure if the ship destination people are up to date on what is allowed in the various ports.  

Against the law if the driver was not on the bus? You would think Destinations would know this. 

On 9/18/2023 at 6:22 PM, Smitty A said:

Just my thoughts (and opinion) as well.  All I am saying is rather than complaining about what is not provided, why not take it upon yourself to take care of your own issues instead of expecting others to do it for you?   Make arrangements to travel with help….problem solved.    The OP complained about this all at embarkation as well.   

I never said disabled people pick their situation.  i am very compassionate by the way regarding disabled people, I have numerous close relatives and friends who are disabled. 

Interesting.  You even refer to people as disabled, as if they are entirely defined by their disability, which, IMHO (as a person with a disability) says a lot about how you see people with disabilities (including those who are friends and close relatives).  JMO, take it or leave it.

3 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Interesting.  You even refer to people as disabled, as if they are entirely defined by their disability, which, IMHO (as a person with a disability) says a lot about how you see people with disabilities (including those who are friends and close relatives).  JMO, take it or leave it.

In the context of this thread, I do not feel it is inappropriate but rather relevant to the discussion. My clients mention their limitations when asking about travel matters. They want to know what they can do and what they might need help with. A client who has accurate expectations will have a better trip than one is is surprised by an aspect of the experience. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

In the context of this thread, I do not feel it is inappropriate but rather relevant to the discussion. My clients mention their limitations when asking about travel matters. They want to know what they can do and what they might need help with. A client who has accurate expectations will have a better trip than one is is surprised by an aspect of the experience. 

Most people with disabilities (for the last twenty thirty years now) use the term person with disability rather than disabled person.  Disabled person implies that you are defined by and are nothing more than a disability.  Person with a disability means you have a disability and also have an interest in theater, museums, classic movies, couture, art history, the Crisis of the 14th Century, and fine dining.  If you see me as nothing more than a disability, how likely are you to sell me the most appropriate travel experience?  How likely are my husband and I to approach you more than once?  Our travel agents take my disability into account, but see me as a whole person, with interests that they cater to.  This is why our trips to Israel and Vienna were unforgettable. If you cannot see that, you are doing your clients a disservice.

26 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Most people with disabilities (for the last twenty thirty years now) use the term person with disability rather than disabled person.  Disabled person implies that you are defined by and are nothing more than a disability.  Person with a disability means you have a disability and also have an interest in theater, museums, classic movies, couture, art history, the Crisis of the 14th Century, and fine dining.  If you see me as nothing more than a disability, how likely are you to sell me the most appropriate travel experience?  How likely are my husband and I to approach you more than once?  Our travel agents take my disability into account, but see me as a whole person, with interests that they cater to.  This is why our trips to Israel and Vienna were unforgettable. If you cannot see that, you are doing your clients a disservice.

I see my clients as clients. Each has a unique set of needs or they would not be using my unique services to begin with (I am not a TA although we offer those services as part of a larger package).  The only labels they have are their names.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I see my clients as clients. Each has a unique set of needs or they would not be using my unique services to begin with (I am not a TA although we offer those services as part of a larger package).  The only labels they have are their names.

And that is as it should be.  When we use terms such as "disabled person," we are putting the disability before the person.  Just as when we say someone is "confined to a wheelchair," we are saying the wheelchair is confining the person when, in reality, a wheelchair is a mobility device. 

When someone says they are close to lots of "disabled people," it really makes me question just how close they are to them, because they have just referred very dismissively to people they are supposedly close to and care about.  That was the point of my original post.  Hope that clarifies things.

18 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Against the law if the driver was not on the bus?

In an increasing number of locations, it is illegal to keep buses idling for pollution/environmental reasons; they can load and unload, but then must go to a parking area and shut down.

19 hours ago, Scout16 said:

You bring up an excellent point, the laws of the land you are touring.  We were in St. Petersburg, Russia in 2017 with a group of 10 of us on a Baltic Cruise (different cruise line). We set up a private tour (which was amazing) but one of our group had difficulties walking.  When we went to Peterhof we had quite a long walk to see the Palace from the parking lot.  He initially wanted to stay on the bus, but it was illegal in Russia.  So he had to make the hike then sit at the coat check area so he would be in the company of staff the whole time.  He opted out of day 2 of the tour.  So checking the laws of the country visiting is an excellent idea. 

13 hours ago, ysolde said:

Most people with disabilities (for the last twenty thirty years now) use the term person with disability rather than disabled person.

This does not seem to be the perceived wisdom here in the UK:

UK Government Guidelines

Disability Rights UK

Just goes to show how the english language can be nuanced in different places and how individuals can feel slighted when there was no intention to offend.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 7