Regent “We do not provide this service.”

PaulaJK

I have sailed with Regent for years and use a wheelchair on and off the ship to the taxi stand. Some ports will not allow Regent staff to move a wheelchair guest though the Port Terminal. We were in Miami in Jan twice and I had to change wheelchairs and drivers at the gangway. This is not Regent’s fault! It is Dock workers union doing this….just like having to use local tenders or taxis having to wait out side of the port gate. Happens in many ports around the would.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm so amazed to read this. It shows a lack of empathy and understanding by Regent for the elderly and handicapped.  In Brisbane, I requested wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking and received both. Passengers wait in a lounge and are taken down one at a time.  My daughter picked me up in our car close to the ship in a special zone. I do not use a wheelchair on flat surfaces.  It is the slope, compounded by hand luggage, embarking and disembarking ships, which can cause problems.  

In some ports, Regent is not allowed to provide these services. They must be provided by the port employees. Regent is happy to assist those that need assistance when they are allowed to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cwn said:

I have sailed with Regent for years and use a wheelchair on and off the ship to the taxi stand. Some ports will not allow Regent staff to move a wheelchair guest though the Port Terminal. We were in Miami in Jan twice and I had to change wheelchairs and drivers at the gangway. This is not Regent’s fault! It is Dock workers union doing this….just like having to use local tenders or taxis having to wait out side of the port gate. Happens in many ports around the would.

100% correct...thank you!

39 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you.  Regent should let passengers know this. 

They did when I was arranging for the wheelchair to get off the ship. In Miami there were 2-3 chairs and drivers waiting to take people the rest of the way. Or you waited for one to come back. Tedious but it is what it is. Other ports we have requested service fromthe port people.

On 10/29/2023 at 2:41 AM, Emdee said:

I went on the rejuvenated Crystal Serenity and noticed that they had grab bars in the washrooms, showers and even in the public washrooms. Seats are available for those who need a shower seat. These are definitely in recognition of the aging population. I noticed a lot of grab bars in the toilets, showers etc on the SSea endeavour but thought that was due to it’s expedition ship status. 

Some of the ports are wonderful providing WC assistance while others just do not. 

Shower seats available on every cruise line. Just have your ta ask. I cannot recall a cabin we have been in that did not have grab bars. Pretty standard, especially since the ship can rock at any moment. 

40 minutes ago, bitob said:

Shower seats available on every cruise line. Just have your ta ask. I cannot recall a cabin we have been in that did not have grab bars. Pretty standard, especially since the ship can rock at any moment. 

Some have smaller and less obvious grab bars. They were not so evident on the Cloud but everywhere on Endeavour. It could be I need the bars now so notice them more.

the crystal bars were well placed and of a good size. 

I am quite familiar w port inspired wheelchair issues. Commonly, when the

cruise line does provide the service, a wheelchair passenger is taken by 

Crew to the end of the line’s  gangplank where port personnel then take over.

Indeed, this was our recent experience in Miami when debarking Crystal Serenity.

it has been our experience on all other lines that we sailed.

However, that was the service that Regent did not provide. Again, they did

not provide a wheelchair from the ship to the end of the gangplank. I like

Regent but I have the sense that they are cutting back, including here.

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

Indeed, this was our recent experience in Miami when debarking Crystal Serenity.

The automated gangway in Miami is Port property. Port personal will come to the end of it, where it meets the ship, to assist guests. I have seen this happen multiple times including quite recently.

7 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

6 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

That being the case, Regent needs to step up on this issue. 

As I said earlier in this thread, in Jan this year I had a wheelchair from my cabin to the end of the gangway provided by Regent as per my request at the front deck a few days before disembarkation in Miami . Then I was met by a wheelchair from the port to take me though the terminal. You do have to ask though. This is the way it has been in all ports for us. 

• Like 1

CWN.  That is good and necessary service. We have enjoyed it previously, including

on Regent. It just was not our experience on Mariner, Sept 23. I write this in the hope that R will explore the policy as articulated on Mariner. ..and hopefully, amend it.

Interesting, we did have to ask ahead of time, but I had wheelchair service from our cabin to the gangway on both the Splendor and the Navigator in our almost BtoB.cruises in Dec and Jan. Our next 2 cruises are on the Mariner RT Miami  so I will have our TA check with Regent before final payment. 

Yes, from reading this thread, it seems that Regent has to coordinate with the port to get the wheelchair all the way, so giving notice of this need is needed. Good to know. I don’t need a wheelchair at this time, but our next Regent cruise is four months away. At my age, one never knows.