White Night

Gregrat

10 minutes ago, NWX said:

Actually, it was E.R. who brought it from Azamara - or sold the idea to the entertainment people. Don't you remember that?

No idea what you are talking about.

The current VP of Entertainment came up with the idea for Crystal to go with this and it began on the night Symphony and Serenity were each dong World Cruises and were in Sydney.

Keith

10 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

The current VP of Entertainment came up with the idea for Crystal to go with this and it began on the night Symphony and Serenity were each dong World Cruises and were in Sydney.

Keith

White NIght was a "thing" on Azamara. Edie brought it to Crystal, it was not original to the VP Entertainment in Crystal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NWX said:

White NIght was a "thing" on Azamara. Edie brought it to Crystal, it was not original to the VP Entertainment in Crystal.

Yes I know about White Night on Azamara but also know that it was not her idea to do this.  In fact, she was already gone before it was first rolled out.

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes I know about White Night on Azamara but also know that it was not her idea to do this.  In fact, she was already gone before it was first rolled out.

Keith

I have no idea where the idea for White Night originated but I do remember that it didn't start until after Russ came to Crystal from Azamara as a cruise director. It was way after Edie.

Patty

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I have no idea where the idea for White Night originated but I do remember that it didn't start until after Russ came to Crystal from Azamara as a cruise director. It was way after Edie.

Patty

It’s attributed to Keith Cox, VP Entertainment. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

The idea came from Crystals' VP of Entertainment and months Russ Started with Crystal.  The first time for White Night was in February of 2018 when those on both the Symphony and Serenity World Cruise returned from a White Party Gala held while both ships were in Sydney. On the ship White Night was for all guests and from that moment forward it has continued. 

White Night now called White Party is very different than Azamara which features a buffet.  

A white night theme is not unique to Crystal or Azamara either.

Keith

11 hours ago, NWX said:

Well, Keith, SOME of us are a bit older than you and have foot and back issues and nice shoes are now a thing of the past for us. Remember that gorgeous Cybil Shepherd? All she ever wore were Reeboks due to her foot/back issues. Even my Dad, who was a fashion plate, wore his black Reeboks on formal occasions due to leg/foot issues. If you judge me by my feet you are going so much lower! 

Interesting thoughts.

First, I didn't say you can't wear sports shoes.  My point is one doesn't have to wear all white.

I also don't judge anyone. I am one who consistently says when some people don't follow the evening attire that it doesn't bother me.  I don't spend time complaining or worrying about that.I just worry about what I wear and I don't look around the room to identify who is not in the recommended attire. Some do. I don't. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Once again, Keith is correct…We sailed on Serenity January 23, 2018, to Sydney…then transferred to Symphony on February 17…when both ships met in Sydney… The first time Crystal ships offered a white night experience. …it was magical sailing into Sydney and sailing out together; I forget if we followed Serenity or she followed us…Roy also made the transfer, I’m sure he remembers who was in the lead. Anyway…the White Night has certainly evolved since then…here’s a pic from last night onSymphony♥️♥️♥️ I took video too, and will upload it to our blog…hopefully before Christmas 😊

IMG_0175.thumb.jpeg.084ebb4efb567c69e8c5be319ce444d5.jpeg

Edited by krb1000
  • Like 5

Great photo Kathie and this will give folks an idea of what people wear.  Look forward to seeing the video and am enjoying your blog and posts.

Coincidentally we were on Serenity the day that they would have the first White Night. We were there as visitors as we were visiting our daughter and family who were living in Sydney at the time.  We saw Rob and Jim later that day after we departed the ship and possibly the next day.  

You can see some of the white decorations in the back.  For those of you who know organist Hector Anne Marie is positing with his wife a good friend of ours and also another Paddle Tennis player.

DSC01124.thumb.jpeg.e4eb74237884dee4f2241dc2d7e4bca1.jpeg

DSC00640.thumb.jpeg.0973e90b3b7031e61cd65a2a194acdf5.jpeg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Gregrat said:

I have a pair of solid white sneakers that I could wear with the white pants and shirt if sneakers would be appropriate in the evening.

Comments?

It will be abundantly clear that you are getting in the spirit of things.

One thing we do know: the white party will never be on a formal night. Or whatever they are called.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gregrat said:

I have a pair of solid white sneakers that I could wear with the white pants and shirt if sneakers would be appropriate in the evening.

Comments?

Absolutely no problem! Timmy and at least 4 other guests had white sneakers on last evening …it’s all good… you will love Crystals’ hospitality ♥️

• Like 3

On 9/19/2023 at 9:17 PM, Roland4 said:

I have to say that on our just-completed (we got home today) Serenity cruise, adherence to the published dress guidelines, other than the clown wearing a stetson, was pretty much 100%.

"Clown" wearing a Stetson?  Only perhaps if he was wearing it while sitting down at dinner (The Rule: On at the bar, off at the dinner table).  Perhaps you call them clowns in the great white north, here in the USA we call them "men."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

"Clown" wearing a Stetson?  Only perhaps if he was wearing it while sitting down at dinner (The Rule: On at the bar, off at the dinner table).  Perhaps you call them clowns in the great white north, here in the USA we call them "men."

Well, for it is worth, he wore it in Waterside, in the Galaxy, for both shows and lectures, and in the Avenue. He looked rather out of place in Waterside, and no, he did not take it off. In the Great White North, we call men who remove their hats inside "gentlemen".

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Well, for it is worth, he wore it in Waterside, in the Galaxy, for both shows and lectures, and in the Avenue. He looked rather out of place in Waterside, and no, he did not take it off. In the Great White North, we call men who remove their hats inside "gentlemen".

Well said sir, and yes I’m a Southerner.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I'm reminded of that late, great Texas football coach Bum Phillips. He was known for his cowboy hat, but he never wore it when the Oilers were playing in the Astrodome. His mother had taught him to never wear his hat indoors and the Astrodome had a roof, therefore it was indoors.

Patty

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember several years ago on one of the world cruise one or maybe it was two guys wore that type of hat all the time.  I don't lose any sleep about it. After all, I live in a state with a population of all cowboys and cowgirls and everyone owns a horse and if you believe that I will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

In all seriousness I believe only baseball caps are not permitted but I could be wrong.

Keith 

7 hours ago, lovet2travel said:

We will be on the Sept 25th NYC to Quebec cruise. I emailed Onboard guest services to inquire-No White Night is planned for our cruise. Wish this information is readily available to its passengers.

I would take this information with a pinch of salt… some folks were told no White Party on Symphony Venice to Rome by guest services… and we experienced a super party 

Timmy in his white sneakers with the band ♥️
IMG_0157.thumb.jpeg.d9e857233a54443d227406d785049424.jpeg

Edited by krb1000
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, lovet2travel said:

Correction: Sept 27th. Guess I really can't wait.

White Night (now called White Party) is on your cruise.  I have verified that for you.

On a related note, it is on every cruise so no need for anyone to check with OBGS.

Keith

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I find the "White Party" to be absurd idea.  It's tantamount to a toga party at a frat house.  I know, I don't HAVE to participate, and I won't.  

It's funny you mention that, because I was going to ask if anyone recycles their togas from their old Costa cruises back when they held those parties.  lol

I don't personally find it absurd, but it's definitely a concept that resonates with certain demographics more than others...  But that's true of lots of social events.

Vince

23 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I find the "White Party" to be absurd idea.  It's tantamount to a toga party at a frat house.  I know, I don't HAVE to participate, and I won't.  

Well the good news is you certainly can wear whatever you want and some people do not.

At the same time my observation is the number of people wearing something white has increased over the years.  

The only similarity to a toga party is the color white.

But if you care to go to a Toga Party.

Here goes.

• Like 2