Info on Celebration Key

VolzCruiser

44 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

They invested hundreds of millions of dollars into a port, in time of billions in debt. There will be upcharges. These types of investments and offerings will help keep cruise lines relevant.

With that said, I don't see why everyone gets so offended by upcharges. Are we entitled to free (insert amenity) where ever we go? It's most a FOMO and obsession of "inclusivity." Not everyone has to like the same things either. In the end, I say having those amusement park options are a huge plus. Without them, the kids have no where else to go, creating a noisier experience at the other parts. 

Yeah. That must be it. FOMO plus a buzzword.

All this talk got me booked on the Legend out of Galveston in Nov 2025. Couldn't resist Celebration Key, HMC, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove. Just hope Galveston isn't too hard to get to from Houston Hobby Airport! 

So I have a question. While there are significant upcharge opportunities at Coco Cay, is it possible to just enjoy that port without any of that? (I've never been on Royal.) And so is it reasonable to assume that there will both be 'included' opportunities as well as 'upcharge opportunities' at Celebration Key?

Edited by jsglow

6 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

All this talk got me booked on the Legend out of Galveston in Nov 2025. Couldn't resist Celebration Key, HMC, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove. Just hope Galveston isn't too hard to get to from Houston Hobby Airport! 

It is about a 30 to 45 minute cab/Uber/Lyft ride from HOU. And about an hour to 1:30 from IAH, depending on traffic.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jsglow said:

So I have a question. While there are significant upcharge opportunities at Coco Cay, is it possible to just enjoy that port without any of that? (I've never been on Royal.) And so is it reasonable to assume that there will both be 'included' opportunities as well as 'upcharge opportunities' at Celebration Key?

Yes, we enjoyed our day at CocoCay very much without spending any extra money. In addition to the upcharge areas and options, they have a few different beach areas, large pool, multiple bars and food areas. While I generally have enjoyed the food on Carnival more than on Royal, I thought the food on CocoCay was better than Half Moon Cay (more options). And since the drink package works on CocoCay, we didn't spend any money off the ship that day.

Edited by Knights on the Beach
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Just hope Galveston isn't too hard to get to from Houston Hobby Airport!

It's very, very easy- especially with how big the highway is between the two plus the abundance of transportation options (uber, lyft, galveston limo, salt water moms, the list goes on).

10 hours ago, jsglow said:

is it possible to just enjoy that port without any of that?

100%. As another poster mentioned, the quintessential experience is ultimately included (as it is on Carnival's private spaces) and there is food options included. The up-charges come for "exclusive" spaces and drinks.

23 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Now THAT sounds like a beach-lover's dream itinerary!  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2023 at 1:49 PM, jsglow said:

You've missed out on some incredible places Tom.  Honesty, the tenders on HMC, PC and Cabo are a total breeze moving hundreds of folks quite quickly to and fro. Sure there's a line for the late afternoon ones returning to the ship. But it moves well. Belize is a bit of a challenge because of the distance to shore only. And try Dun Laoghaire (Dublin) Ireland sometime in lifeboat #6. TOTALLY different story.

All this is a wonderful reason why small ship cruising is the bomb. In my world, you haven't really lived until you've done a wet landing on Jost van Dyke, currency in your swim trunks, and on your way to the Soggy Dollar Bar. Paradise. 

I totally agree with Jost Van Dyke or Bequia on Star Clipper or Windstar is the ultimate small island getaway that beats the major cruise lines private islands.

• Like 1