Can I

6fan

We have been told, and noticed, the cabin is ready when your S&S card is in the mailbox (After 1:30). Dropped off items should be placed in the closet. As mentioned before, you should have a Carnival luggage tag on anything you drop off. We have a Carnival luggage tag on anything we carry and could set down before reaching the cabin. Forgetting a carry-on in the Lido dining room or bar can be a big headache.

Edited by JoeMo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chief93 said:

I've never understood this.....I hear this all the time when someone is speaking a different language.   Is it arrogance?   I'm so amazingly awesome that strangers can't help but talk about me?  Or is it simple paranoia? 

I speak several languages, and have never felt the need to talk about other people while in their presence.   And I've frequently overheard people talking in a language i speak, and they were never talking about me or anyone else.

People need to believe they are the star of the movie at all times plus  well, you know.. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

We have been told, and noticed, the cabin is ready when your S&S card is in the mailbox. Dropped off items should be placed in the closet. As mentioned before, you should have a Carnival luggage tag on anything you drop off. We have a Carnival luggage tag on anything we carry and could set down before reaching the cabin. Forgetting a carry-on in the Lido dining room or bar can be a big headache.

That is currently not true. Closed or not, no stay until after 1:30 pm. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

I’m confused. Your first two posts above state that speaking another language in front of guests is not allowed. Then you acknowledge that JH has talked about this before after a post in which he says they have to speak to guests in English but is clearly endorsing them speaking in their native language to each other. Did I totally misunderstand the previous posts?

He is not endorsing it, just that it happens.  When he posted before that crew are supposed to speak in English only in guest areas, he opened a floodgate of complaints since the complaint he relayed was someone demanding some freebies because they were "so upset".   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

He is not endorsing it, just that it happens.  When he posted before that crew are supposed to speak in English only in guest areas, he opened a floodgate of complaints since the complaint he relayed was someone demanding some freebies because they were "so upset".   

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, mz-s said:

Well it's part and parcel of the declining standard of service on Carnival.

It's not difficult to imagine a scenario where for example a special needs or disabled person walks by two crew joking around in a foreign language and they start laughing. The special needs person feels like they've just been made fun of. It's just unnecessary. And back when Carnival properly trained and retained their crew, it didn't happen.

This is such an arrogant assumption. You do realize not everyone who sails Carnival as a guest speaks English, right? There are in fact a myriad of other languages no less worthy of being spoken. I think it would be proper training to NOT assume everyone spoke and understood English, and NOT to ask crew to exclude those who don't by only communicating in English. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cheer25mom said:

This is such an arrogant assumption. You do realize not everyone who sails Carnival as a guest speaks English, right? There are in fact a myriad of other languages no less worthy of being spoken. I think it would be proper training to NOT assume everyone spoke and understood English, and NOT to ask crew to exclude those who don't by only communicating in English. 

It is not arrogant at all. Carnival has chosen English as the official language on board. It doesn't really matter what you think.

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

It is not arrogant at all. Carnival has chosen English as the official language on board. It doesn't really matter what you think.

According to John Heald, the crew are free to speak to each other in whatever language they wish, so what you think doesn't matter as far as that goes either. What language Carnival has chosen for official communication doesn't dictate what everyone must speak. Properly trained crew are free to communicate in whatever language they see fit, as long as they use English with guests.

It's arrogant to assume everyone should speak English, or that the fact that they don't or choose not to makes them somehow less. Less trained, less professional, or less of anything.

Speaking English does not make one superior. It's also arrogant to assume that if someone chooses to speak another language in your presence they must be talking about you. Unless you are throwing your superiority around, they probably could care less. 

Edited by cheer25mom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cheer25mom said:

According to John Heald, the crew are free to speak to each other in whatever language they wish, so what you think doesn't matter as far as that goes either. What language Carnival has chosen for official communication doesn't dictate what everyone must speak. Properly trained crew are free to communicate in whatever language they see fit, as long as they use English with guests.

It's arrogant to assume everyone should speak English, or that the fact that they don't or choose not to makes them somehow less. Less trained, less professional, or less of anything.

Speaking English does not make one superior. It's also arrogant to assume that if someone chooses to speak another language in your presence they must be talking about you. Unless you are throwing your superiority around, they probably could care less. 

I am not going to keep arguing about this. You can speak whatever language you want, and the crew can as well. But in the past, the rule was on Carnival that crew would only speak English in guest areas. That is not arrogance, that is Carnival's rule. I am not buying in to your fake outrage, sorry.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:01 PM, mz-s said:

I am not going to keep arguing about this. You can speak whatever language you want, and the crew can as well. But in the past, the rule was on Carnival that crew would only speak English in guest areas. That is not arrogance, that is Carnival's rule. I am not buying in to your fake outrage, sorry.

What outrage? I am simply pointing out that it's arrogant to assume that everyone should speak English, or assume that allowing employees to communicate in their native language is somehow poor training or a decline in service. I save my outrage for the intolerances that cause real human suffering, but will continue to point out the small, petty ones too, 

Edited by cheer25mom

21 minutes ago, cheer25mom said:

What outrage? I am simply pointing out that it's arrogant to assume that everyone should speak English, or assume that allowing employees to communicate in their native language is somehow poor training or a decline in service. I save my outrage for the intolerances that cause real human suffering, but will continue to point out the small, petty ones too, 

Final reply - you are misunderstanding the issue. Perhaps you're doing so on purpose to make your fake outrage seem more genuine. I don't know - it makes no difference.

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

Final reply - you are misunderstanding the issue. Perhaps you're doing so on purpose to make your fake outrage seem more genuine. I don't know - it makes no difference.

I understand perfectly. I recognize arrogant intolerance when I see it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1