"Humor" for the Over Planner going on their First Oceania Cruise

Sthrngary

6 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

True but you can purchase insurance not through cruise line but from an agent.  The fact they “tried” makes it seem like this is how he purchased 

@rxlowry My initial purchase was through the Travel Agent and it was Allianz Travel Protection Plan.  In the past, I have used this same company and done it on my own.  I had to phone number so I called.  They never flinched and fixed followed by took my money. I have had three claims and they were very good.  This time, I had my agent do this for me initially.  I never, ever use the cruise companies insurance, just me.  I hope that clarifies what happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@rxlowry My initial purchase was through the Travel Agent and it was Allianz Travel Protection Plan.  In the past, I have used this same company and done it on my own.  I had to phone number so I called.  They never flinched and fixed followed by took my money. I have had three claims and they were very good.  This time, I had my agent do this for me initially.  I never, ever use the cruise companies insurance, just me.  I hope that clarifies what happened. 

It would’ve just been a phone call for them as well.  I figured it was Allianz 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

Maybe you should become an agent!!!

@rxlowry LMAO.  It is easy to stay focused, on target and use the skills I learned in business if the situation is all about me or the friends joining me.  No one can take up your case with a brand better then the actual guest.  I also rarely if ever give up which wears folks out.  I "Nice" them to death.  Hard to say no to a really nice person, phone call or correspondence.  

Become a travel agent, NOT-A-GOING-TO-HAPPEN.  The way I approach things, I will only have two client a year and might not have enough time for both of them.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi, Gary!  So sorry to hear that you are "disinclined to acquiess" (okay I don't know how the heck to spell this and spell check is not helping!)  to stand up comedy.  Many years ago we saw "Defending the Caveman", which was truly a hoot, and while not specifically your situation, it certainly resonates with the differences between planners and non-planners.  (BTW I don't find the new version of "Defending the Caveman", while still the same script, not nearly as hilarious as the original.  However, the ideas presented still ring true!)

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise!  February will be our 1st O cruise.  Then to X for the Retreat (in a Sky Suite, which evidently no longer has butlers, even though X has not told us that!)  Then to Regent's for a Panama Canal transit.  I'd like to slip another Haven cruise in there somewhere, as I have Cruise Next certificates to use!  We were originally planning a Rome cruise in 2023, but will have to push that WAY out for now.  Saving up those flight points to get bus class.😉

I appreciated your cruise comparison spreadsheet and have used it several times now!  If I can just get the economy to play along, it would be helpful!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

If I can just get the economy to play along, it would be helpful!

@Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin The economy is not the issue really for me.  It is me being cheap.  I want nice things, nice cruises and nice vacations but don't want to pay the full freight. I have had a ball learning all the sales, marketing events and to coin a phase, "Secrets to Oceania".  During this very lone 18 month journey, I also learned a lot about airlines and booking for my friends. 

I made a post on this and well got schooled.  Seems, some members take airline situations very seriously.  So I will briefly let you know how the airlines gave me a break.  I booked my guests air flights on Delta Fully Refundable Coach.  Because I am nuts, I checked their flights every morning.  I wanted to see the cost of "Upgrades" for each segment and how it adjustments up and down. Months after I still have no clue how it all works but I did score some benefits.  First a short leg one hour and 15 minute flight showed upgrade to first class for $39.00 per person.  DONE for my friends.  Second, same flight on the return was $49.00 per person. DONE again.  Finally, the three hour flight from Atlanta to JFK was $149.00 per person upgrade and I used some extra Delta Sky miles to get those.  My friend will not consider the upgrades for the long hauls so I did all I could do for them. 

All of this, from which brand, booking, insurance, Air, Post/Pre Hotel and transfers have been so much fun to learn about.  My lively bride is using a highlighter, ruler, and pen to cross out half my journey document which is currently 50 pages.  When she is done with it, it will be 5 pages. Every time she reads a page she "Rolls her eyes".  What she does not know is, all I wanted was someone, anyone to say, "I don't want to do this, I want to do that."  My wish has come true.  The federal government is going to fine me for using so much paper in my original draft that we lost a forest.  I have to learn to say more with less words.  See, I am very self reflective. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Deleted

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

No reason to quote the "12", just fun. After your posts about insurance, I wonder why you don't do everything through your AmEx platinum? Were you talking about cancellation or medical? I usually pay $64 @ cruise (depending on the price) for the good medical coverage.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

No reason to quote the "12", just fun. After your posts about insurance, I wonder why you don't do everything through your AmEx platinum? Were you talking about cancellation or medical? I usually pay $64 @ cruise (depending on the price) for the good medical coverage.

@YourWorldWithBill sorry, “5”. Decisions are usually made based on previous experiences. The first I I bought Cruise Travel Insurance which was health, cancelation, delay, baggage, etc. it covered $5,000 due to a cancelation 8 days prior to a cruise. The second time my son got sick and it cost close to $800.  Now it has become a habit. 

I got lucky on these situation. Just my experience, not every one.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:22 AM, Sthrngary said:

Many folk say, just go with the flow, no real planning needed.  Other do what I do, take the time since we have so much time before a cruise, and plan the things that we ALL have "Messed Up" in the past.

Gary, I too am the trip planner; be it a cruise or a 6-week cross-country RV journey.  DW leaves it up to me.  Like many of you, I will spend hours researching what to do at our destinations, or if on a road trip what to do in between stops.  I don't use a spread sheet.  Instead I use a calendar....easier for DW to visualize.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:53 AM, Sthrngary said:

Now I plan what CAN be done, let the group choose what they want to do from the list. 

In 2008 my Mom took all of us kids on an Alaskan cruise.  The only "rule" was that all of us would meet for dinner.  We were free to do what we wanted at port calls, but it was a must to meet for dinner.  We kids would rotate spending the days in port with Mom.  It all worked out well.  Oh, no one had to make up rooms, cook, or clean the dishes.  What a reunion!

On 9/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, bobnsandi said:

THEN we found out that people that we enjoyed socializing with, weren't always the best travel companions. Most of these schemes ended in disaster. The lesson was to treat good travel companions like diamonds, really really precious (that includes my wife of 45 years).

People we met while boating, RV'ing and on cruises, on the other hand, were generally already primed to deal with the ins and outs and ups and downs of travel. We learned a lot from them, and deeply value their friendship. We do plan and study, but we always allow for serendipity to lead to new experiences.

So very true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I am also an over-planner dedicated to spreadsheets lol

Years ago we did a cruise with my folks. I translated my planner to a little booklet - letter size paper folded, so one "executive" page per day. Port info including times and expected (one week+ out) weather, any excursion activity, dining info etc plus room for notes. My mom (not souch a planner but likes to know whats up) loved it

And yes figuring out which half-pages to combine for printing was an education lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, babysteps said:

So I am also an over-planner dedicated to spreadsheets lol

Years ago we did a cruise with my folks. I translated my planner to a little booklet - letter size paper folded, so one "executive" page per day. Port info including times and expected (one week+ out) weather, any excursion activity, dining info etc plus room for notes. My mom (not souch a planner but likes to know whats up) loved it

And yes figuring out which half-pages to combine for printing was an education lol

@babysteps Great story.  Love the effort.  Been there and done that.  Fun stuff.