LIVE - Royal Princess Sep 23 (2 Day Coastal...and more)

ceilidh1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from ceilidh1! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

ceilidh1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I wasn't initially planning on doing a Live for this sailing, since I'm only on for a 2 day "cruise fix". However, there are many on CC that are staying on to do the various other legs of this journey, so I figured I could start this and have everyone else onboard to join in/continue! For my portion, this is a 2 day Seattle to Vancouver trip, that will reposition the Royal to do her journey over to Hawaii and on the Australia/New Zealand. I admit to feeling just a little jealous of all those making that journey onward. For me, this is simply a fun little "staycation" to get in my fix while I await my next big cruise in December...

Background

I have taken over 30 Princess cruises and also enjoy Virgin and NCL. Usually I sail with my two kids, but this time it's just me and my bestie on a girls weekend. I live in Vancouver, so we are taking Amtrak down to Seattle and cruising back home. The timing is perfect as we go down Saturday morning and return Monday morning, so no time off work required. 

Pre Cruise

We decided to book two rooms at the lowest guarantee rate. There wasn't any deal for solos on this time, but the price was decent so we went for it. We both added the premier package as we will definitely be drinking, and had planned on specialty dining so for the extra $40 it was a no-brainer. We only got our cabins assigned a few days ago and I'm already shaking my head at the thought process that goes into this. Firstly, I get that you roll the dice with guarantees - I couldn't care less what room I'm in. However, our bookings are linked so we are obviously sailing together. When we got the cabin assignments, I have been given an inside on Riviera all the way aft (I actually think I might be the only person on these boards that didn't get an upgrade). My bestie got a free upgrade to an deluxe obstructed balcony on Emerald all the way forward. Let that sink in. We literally could not be further away from one another. I was debating calling and asking if there may be something a little closer together, but for 2 days we will be just fine. 

Since this is such a short sailing and we have two dining credits to use, I wanted to be sure to make reservations ahead of time. Those that have dealt with the app know that this is no easy task. Firstly, the packages didn't show on the app so it wanted us to pay to reserve. Nope. After a few days, the packages showed and I successfully booked us into Crown Grill on night one and Sabatinis on night two. All smooth. A few weeks later, those reservations had disappeared. I rebooked and it wanted to charge me. GAH. I got on a chat with a Princess agent and she told me that both venues were full for all times both nights. Um, no they aren't as I have them in my cart right now...She suggested I cancel the bookings so that they would open back up and she would book them. I did as she suggested. The restaurants still showed as not available. GAH. Needless to say I was frustrated. After ending the chat, I opened up the app and saw that the agent had, indeed, somehow managed to book the restaurants and apply the credits. 

Since we live in Canada, medallion shipping was not available so we are both in blue lane, despite having everything completed ahead of time. This was actually the first time that there were no "glitches" in completing the check-in portion on the app, so maybe things are improving. The journeyview activities finally showed up about three weeks ago - it's tough booking dinner times when you don't know what may be on in terms of activities. There is nothing on there that jumps out to me - we will likely go to the comedy show and some trivia but I've seen the production shows enough times that I don't need to go again. 

We booked the Amtrak down to Seattle on Saturday morning (I'm not a "day of cruise" person ordinarily, but have done this several times without stress. Keep everything crossed). The train leaves around 6:30am and gets into Seattle around 11am. We will hop in a cab to the ship and will hopefully be onboard in time for lunch! If you haven't done the train between Vancouver/Seattle I highly recommend it. While it does take a little longer than the bus and can be a little more expensive, it's 100% worth it as you don't need to get off at the border. The agents simply come on the train, look at your passports, and wave you away! The scenery is also pretty nice. When we arrive back to Vancouver on Monday, I will simply walk off the ship and walk home. Easy Peasy.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I've sailed on Royal four times and, while this class of ship isn't my favourite, I feel like its "home". I know all the secret spots and lots of the crew. I'm looking forward to seeing one of my fave cruise staff - Andrew The Canadian! Andrew was on all my past Royal sailings (along with Matt O) so it will be amazing to catch up. He has requested candy and treats so tonight is a Costco trip - one advantage to not flying is the ability to taken anything/everything with you as long as they allow it on the ship.

Tradition for me on Princess is to board the ship and have the first lunch and drink at Alfredos. This will be no exception. Moving forward, we may break with tradition if we don't buy the package, but that's a whole other discussion. 

My bestie has never cruised previously, so I'm hoping that she becomes as addicted as me and we get to do more of these together. My kids are jealous as they love cruising, but it just didn't work out this time as my teen is going to see Arctic Monkeys in concert on Saturday and my pre-teen has a soccer game on Sunday. Oh well. I'm sure we will survive!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I've sailed on Royal four times and, while this class of ship isn't my favourite, I feel like its "home". I know all the secret spots and lots of the crew. I'm looking forward to seeing one of my fave cruise staff - Andrew The Canadian! Andrew was on all my past Royal sailings (along with Matt O) so it will be amazing to catch up. He has requested candy and treats so tonight is a Costco trip - one advantage to not flying is the ability to taken anything/everything with you as long as they allow it on the ship.

Tradition for me on Princess is to board the ship and have the first lunch and drink at Alfredos. This will be no exception. Moving forward, we may break with tradition if we don't buy the package, but that's a whole other discussion. 

My bestie has never cruised previously, so I'm hoping that she becomes as addicted as me and we get to do more of these together. My kids are jealous as they love cruising, but it just didn't work out this time as my teen is going to see Arctic Monkeys in concert on Saturday and my pre-teen has a soccer game on Sunday. Oh well. I'm sure we will survive!

Wish you a great time. 

• Like 1

@ceilidh1 Have you ever used Quickshuttle from Canada Place/Waterfront Station to Seattle Pier 91?

I just checked and it's $39 non-refundable with a limited time free suitcase.

Leaves Canada at 6:45AM. Arrives Pier 91 12:15PM.

Unfortunately, it's sold out for Saturday, 9/23.

Just now, milogurd said:

@ceilidh1 Have you ever used Quickshuttle from Canada Place/Waterfront Station to Seattle Pier 91?

I just checked and it's $39 non-refundable with a limited time free suitcase.

Leaves Canada at 6:45AM. Arrives Pier 91 12:15PM.

Unfortunately, it's sold out for Saturday, 9/23.

Yes - it's fine, other than the fact that you all have to get off at the border, get your bags, go through customs, reload your bags, get back on. 99% of the time this is a hassle but works fine. That 1% of the time you may get someone that is questioned FOREVER and holds up the entire coach. The buses to the pier sell out very fast but there are buses to Downtown Seattle that are usually available...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Sounds great!  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I've sailed on Royal four times and, while this class of ship isn't my favourite, I feel like its "home". 

Tradition for me on Princess is to board the ship and have the first lunch and drink at Alfredos.

We are on this cruise too. 🙂

So what are all the options for boarding day lunch? I have the package that includes free casual dining. Also, I need to be gluten free so I am guessing the MDR, pizza, and some other places can handle that but isn't the MDR only open certain hours for lunch on boarding day?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NightOne said:

We are on this cruise too. 🙂

So what are all the options for boarding day lunch? I have the package that includes free casual dining. Also, I need to be gluten free so I am guessing the MDR, pizza, and some other places can handle that but isn't the MDR only open certain hours for lunch on boarding day?

There is always one dining room open for lunch on embarkation (even though most staff will try to convince you otherwise). I believe it opens around noon until 2pm. The buffet will be open, as will Alfredos and the International Cafe. I always do Alfredos - best pizza at sea in my opinion, and don't even get me started on their veal ravioli!

• Like 4

We are also on this two day sailing.  We will be disembarking in Vancouver to stay overnight at a nearby hotel and getting on the Majestic on Tuesday.  
The Royal is my absolute favorite Princess ship for so many reasons.  Not sure who Andrew the Canadian is but we will have fun regardless.  
Just checked and found out Miggy Washington will be performing .. if you have never seen him, he’s so funny!  We will definitely be going to see at least 2 of his four shows.  He does comedy without being vulgar .. I just love that so much!  

Because we are going for a B2B on the Majestic the day after we disembark from the Royal, our reservations are all messed up.  My DH never received his medallion for the Majestic so, even though we have the package on each leg of the sailing, we will be headed for the blue line, I guess.  I got both of my medallion one for the Royal and one for the B2B on the Majestic.  
Also, on the app, I can’t make dinner reservations for anywhere, including the MDR.  That’s ok, I think we will take advantage of our specialty dining options but just go to the casual dining options instead of trying to make reservations.  
Anyway, aside from not being able to make any dining reservations, I think the JourneyView may be messed up for me as well.  Unless the same bands and music groups are playing on both both ships, I think there is a glitch in the app.  Or .. perhaps, they will be switching ships just as we are but I think that might be unlikely.  
On our profile, the days we are on the Royal are attached at the end of the days on the Majestic.  But, ether is definitely a day in between those two distinct sailings as they didn’t know if it was a PVSA violation to go from Seattle and ultimately to LA, even though they are different ships and different embarkation ports.  Thus, the two day sailing.  

For those that have taken the train or QuickCoach, we’ve done both.  While QuickCoach is more convenient in that you get picked up and dropped off pretty much door to door (port to airport or vice versa).  While they were sorting out my possible PVSA violation, everything was fully booked on QuickCoach so, we decided it would just be easier to get a hotel in Vancouver near Canada Place for one night. Anyway, the busses are clean and pretty reliable but if there is that back up at the border, it can be a bit iffy that they are ‘always’ timely.  
The train on the other hand, is usually very timely .. and the ride is so gorgeous.  The train station is a close walk to or from the Sky Train and then not too far from the Sky Train to or from the pier.  But, if it’s raining (which it looks like it will be up in Vancouver) and you have luggage to haul, it may not be quite as convenient as the bus.  
They both have their pluses and minuses.   

• Like 4

I'm joining you on this one. It will be an interesting experiment for me since I'm traveling with ONLY a backpack. Let's hope I don't manage to still over pack 😄

I didn't get my cabin assigned until two days ago, and just like you there is no free upgrade for me. I'm way in the back, with a couple floors of buffer above the lounge.

I'm interested to see what kind of food and entertainment we'll see on this short cruise. I haven't planned anything and will just go with the flow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

I'm joining you on this one. It will be an interesting experiment for me since I'm traveling with ONLY a backpack. Let's hope I don't manage to still over pack 😄

I didn't get my cabin assigned until two days ago, and just like you there is no free upgrade for me. I'm way in the back, with a couple floors of buffer above the lounge.

I'm interested to see what kind of food and entertainment we'll see on this short cruise. I haven't planned anything and will just go with the flow.

Since we are flying in and changing ships and transferring to a hotel and back to Canada Place on foot(in the rain), my DH challenged me to get everything into one carry on and one personal item each.  By George, we did it!  I seriously don’t think I overpacked .. people may see me wearing the same clothes but it will be spread across 3 different cruises.  I will just hit up the laundry onboard if needed.  

No room for goodies for the crew unless we find stuff while in port.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

I guess we are neighbours!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Since we are flying in and changing ships and transferring to a hotel and back to Canada Place on foot(in the rain), my DH challenged me to get everything into one carry on and one personal item each.  By George, we did it!  I seriously don’t think I overpacked .. people may see me wearing the same clothes but it will be spread across 3 different cruises.  I will just hit up the laundry onboard if needed.  

Which hotel are you staying at?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

For "goodies', you can get to the Vancouver Costco with a short SkyTrain ride from Waterfront Station to the Stadium – Chinatown Station on the Expo Line. The Costco is a short (5 minute) walk across the street from the station, via an elevator down to the store from the street level.

Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 12.51.20 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Which hotel are you staying at?

We are staying at the Auberge .. it looks like it is really close to Canada Place, had really good reviews and was about half the price of the Pan Pacific.  We love the Pan Pacific and would have stayed there if we could find a good price .. but, that wasn’t meant to be.  
We packed our decent umbrellas and a rain jacket just yesterday after seeing the weather report.  We don’t mind rain so much, actually wish we had more of it down this way, but probably will be hanging out close to our hotel rather than touring Vancouver this time around.  

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Maybe we will see you at lunch.  Last time we sailed with you was with Matt O!  Been a while.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, milogurd said:

For "goodies', you can get to the Vancouver Costco with a short SkyTrain ride from Waterfront Station to the Stadium – Chinatown Station on the Expo Line. The Costco is a short (5 minute) walk across the street from the station, via an elevator down to the store from the street level

thank you for that!  But, since we will still have no room in our luggage, we will probably wait until we are already in port on the 2nd or 3rd leg of this trip.  We are packed tight and it just fits.  But, I will keep that in mind for next time we travel up that way.  

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are staying at the Auberge .. it looks like it is really close to Canada Place, had really good reviews and was about half the price of the Pan Pacific.  We love the Pan Pacific and would have stayed there if we could find a good price .. but, that wasn’t meant to be.  
We packed our decent umbrellas and a rain jacket just yesterday after seeing the weather report.  We don’t mind rain so much, actually wish we had more of it down this way, but probably will be hanging out close to our hotel rather than touring Vancouver this time around.  

Oh, yes, that is super close. Actually two blocks from my house and I'm only a 10 minute walk from the ship. I've never stayed at the hotel, but it's a nice area and easy walk to food, seawall, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Maybe we will see you at lunch.  Last time we sailed with you was with Matt O!  Been a while.

Wow… that was a long time ago and once we got to the Hawaiian islands, I tore up my knee something fierce.  I would say that was at over 10 years ago, maybe 15???  I’ve since had surgery and the knee is all better.  Yay!  
We may look different now .. but if you see us, stop by to say hi.  My DH is the one with the big white Santa beard.  We like Vines and the piazza during the day.  

• Like 1