SS Dawn Copenhagen Norwegian round trip

Silver Spectre

6 hours ago, MJN1 said:

SilverSpectre,

sorry to intrude on you, but could you please get the e-mail address or telephone number from Nicole, the Future cruise consultant and send it to me?  Many thanks!!!!

Unfortunately not, she left the ship when we got on in Copenhagen. Michael has now taken over.

7 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I hope you have better weather tomorrow.  At least it's not snowing - you are getting closer to the North Pole.

We have now started our journey back south, at Lat 70N Lon 20E, and are changing course back into the Atlantic to pass by the Lofotens to get to Sortland. And it’s foggy this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Unfortunately not, she left the ship when we got on in Copenhagen. Michael has now taken over.

Silver Spectre,

if I can bother you again, Micheal's contact details would be fine, please.

10 hours ago, MJN1 said:

Silver Spectre,

if I can bother you again, Micheal's contact details would be fine, please.

MJN1,

Things may have changed, but in the past, Cruise Consultants were not allowed to respond to new email inquiry messages once a passenger disembarked the ship.  And, email messages in regards to an existing booking were to be automatically forwarded to an appropriate land based company representative.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 5:17 PM, spryder said:

Any insights on the best individual dishes you’ve sampled so far on board?  Would be much appreciated - cheers!

That's quite difficult because the food on here has been outstanding. The only sub par dish was an Argentine steak. Standout so far was a breaded pork chop in Atlantide for lunch.

IMG_20230930_211504_1.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thx for the update!  You’re the only one I know who has ever acquired the complimentary list successfully.

I have an updated list now which will be winging it’s way to you soon. It will not be posted on here in the near future, just because!

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

I have an updated list now which will be winging it’s way to you soon. It will not be posted on here in the near future, just because!

I'm waiting for the version with your tasting notes.

• Like 1

We have spent the night heading sort of south west with moderate seas and of overcast skies. Our chances of seeing the NLs are diminishing by the day. I had forgotten just how much these new ships creak in rough water.

A grumble, with the removal of the clock unit there is no way to play your own music through anything in the room. There is a USB on the back of the TV but I cannot see any way to access the settings, so no idea if plugging my iPod in would work, and no I not asking the butler since he has enough trouble with simple requests.

• Like 1

Oh I forgot, grumble 2. The Pressreader app is no longer supported, apparently it’s been RCL’d away. You can use a link to the Pressreader site to read for example the Daily Mail. What you can’t do is use the slow Wifi to download a newspaper from the local server when busy doing something else and read it later. You have to online and even Premium doesn’t seem to gell well with the website, it’s difficult to resize pages, they get stuck and have to be reloaded. Not surprisingly the ship isn’t advertising that Pressreader is accessible any more.

• Thanks 2

On 9/30/2023 at 10:17 PM, Stumblefoot said:

MJN1,

Things may have changed, but in the past, Cruise Consultants were not allowed to respond to new email inquiry messages once a passenger disembarked the ship.  And, email messages in regards to an existing booking were to be automatically forwarded to an appropriate land based company representative.

Stumblefoot.

thanks for this info.  I had a question re the transfering of a deposit which Nicole promised and which is now being debated....

I will pop the question in a new thread and maybe someone can confirm this while on board (on any SS ship).

Silver Spectre,

apologies for intruding into your vacation!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Oh I forgot, grumble 2. The Pressreader app is no longer supported, apparently it’s been RCL’d away. You can use a link to the Pressreader site to read for example the Daily Mail. What you can’t do is use the slow Wifi to download a newspaper from the local server when busy doing something else and read it later. You have to online and even Premium doesn’t seem to gell well with the website, it’s difficult to resize pages, they get stuck and have to be reloaded. Not surprisingly the ship isn’t advertising that Pressreader is accessible any more.

A point to note for some - particularly UK based cruisers ...

Many of the library services provide Pressreader access for free - we use the App on a daily basis, both on land and on various cruise ships. Downloading to the App is reasonably quick, even on a slowish cruise wi-fi.

Just load the App, go to the Sign-In page and select the Libraries & Groups icon - a long list of libraries around the world shows up. Sign in with your local library account details (you have to be a library member of course 😉).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

We have noted that for other RCL ships, the IT configuration seems to vary a bit by ship.  Since we'll be on Dawn soon, wondering whether you attempted this via VPN, and if so, which VPN (or VPN protocol) seems to work on Dawn at this time.

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

We have noted that for other RCL ships, the IT configuration seems to vary a bit by ship.  Since we'll be on Dawn soon, wondering whether you attempted this via VPN, and if so, which VPN (or VPN protocol) seems to work on Dawn at this time.

No, this was done direct to the server using the ships Wifi, I am aware that there are VPN issues with StarLink. I will see if I can get an exact answer for you.

1 hour ago, MJN1 said:

Stumblefoot.

thanks for this info.  I had a question re the transfering of a deposit which Nicole promised and which is now being debated....

I will pop the question in a new thread and maybe someone can confirm this while on board (on any SS ship).

Silver Spectre,

apologies for intruding into your vacation!

No problem, and I did check and Stumbles is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I arrive in Copenhagen on Friday to board the Dawn for 2 weeks. I've done this itinerary in the summer time, but decided to try this cruise to see the Northern Lights. (A bucket list item) It sounds like the current sailing hasn't had luck seeing the NL's. Let hope the weather takes a turn for the better.

My hopes for good internet and good butler service will be non existent.  Looks like lots of open cabins for this sailing, so expecting a small crowd.

12 minutes ago, kmkord said:

I arrive in Copenhagen on Friday to board the Dawn for 2 weeks. I've done this itinerary in the summer time, but decided to try this cruise to see the Northern Lights. (A bucket list item) It sounds like the current sailing hasn't had luck seeing the NL's. Let hope the weather takes a turn for the better.

My hopes for good internet and good butler service will be non existent.  Looks like lots of open cabins for this sailing, so expecting a small crowd.

I hope you have better luck than us. The Wifi is actually ok, 1.5mbs for standard. If you need stream buy the premium which will run most things ok.

14 minutes ago, kmkord said:

Other than going through the booking process cabin category by category, is there an easy way to see the booking level for a particular cruise?

1 hour ago, kmkord said:

You will certainly get good service from your butler if you get the one we had in early September on the Dawn.  He was very good and then from the Sunday half way through the cruise on a sea day I could not walk at all after lunch and the medical centre said no more going ashore, wheelchair all the time, keeping my leg raised and regular icing, very good became really excellent and he was always looking for ways to help.  This was our fifth SS cruise with two very good butlers, two who were excellent and one who I admit was in the wrong job!

• Like 1