Pride of Aloha--Don't waste your money!

ldbucha

You need to make the most of your own time. Reading the reviews is good but not every cruise that runs weekly is the same. I think you need to take the cruise and hope for the best. I have been on about 9 cruises the same ship at different times not this ncl but another one. I had a couple of really lousy cruises but still went back to the same ship year after year. I go because I like to relax, sit around the pool and on beaches. I do not go for the food or my room. If that is what you go for you might as well go to a hotel of your choice pick out a really nice room that has all the aminities of home and cook for your self. A cruise is a trip away from home, the phone and cleaning and that is what is important to me not whether the fruit is fresh or canned....

Interesting Posts! I found the Cruise Critic by accident about three months prior to our first and only Carnival Cruise on the Pride and have used it since for information and of course, everyone's reviews. I read so many complaints about Carnival and a subsequent cruise on the Dawn Princess that I started to have some doubts - they were all unfounded. Both cruises turned out to be wonderful. I now choose to soak in all the positive reviews and just about disregard all the negative ones. I appreciate all the positive posts on the Pride of Aloha especially the one by dcp81, and am confident that my wife and I will enjoy her as much as we have enjoyed our other seven cruises.

:mad: :mad: I had the worst cruise experience of my life sailing the Pride of Aloha in Hawaii. NCL needs to either dock this ship permanently or dry dock it and spend the money necessary to fix their problems.

We had booked a pre & post hotel package and had gone through the check in process at our hotel only to be made to stand in line outside in the heat for over an hour to check in again.

Yes...drydocking the boat will definately solve this problem. So silly.

Here we are sailing in paradise where tropical fruits like papaya, mango and pineapple fall to the ground and literally rot and NCL chooses to insult their guests by serving them canned fruit.

So...you would have preferred rotted fruit from the ground?

Enough already with the post count stuff! This thread is a review of a cruise. Good or bad it's what this person experienced. If you have something to say about the review, say it. The OP's post count is what it is. And remember, ALL OF YOU only had one post at some point. Attacks back and forth over the merits of a review of a first time poster will be removed. So will any more discussion about post counts.

Cecilia, I think that the issue is that these 1st post posters are so dogmatic in their belief that nobody else should ever cruise on this line, because of their bad experience.

If they JUST highlighted their experience, and opinions without trying to change people's minds on the value of the cruise, then others wouldn't be so defensive.

SJB

I have been reading the Cruise Critic boards for well over a year now, and each line has a following of cruisers that are extremely loyal. I have no problem with anybody writing a poor review, because that is what this site is for as well. It's not just for the good news and it's not just for somebody who has posted numerous times. I myself have stated some instances where things have not gone well for some friends of mine that went on some cruises, and yes, I was more or less attacked on that board. I had merely asked if anybody else had had the same problems as my friends. Anyway, every ship in every line can have problems at any given time. I am sure the service and the food can vary even on the same ship. I plan on cruising Hawaii in 2007 in the fall and plan on either the Pride of Aloha or the Pride of Hawaii. The Pride of America's look doesn't really turn me on for a tropical cruise, but I guess I want to keep the tropical theme for Hawaii. Just me...that's all. Eventhough somebody else didn't have the greatest cruise on the POA will not deter me in choosing that ship, unless there's a steady stream of people posting it's a poor choice. My husband and I aren't gourmets and we'll be getting a midship oceanview cabin, so our expectations may not be as high as others. We are satisfied with buffet food generally, but ate in the dining room every night on our Celebrity cruise. It was a terrific dining experience for us. Had a chance to eat numerous foods I'd never had before (escargot, creme brulee, baked alaska, etc.) Anyway, the point I'm getting at is, that most people will use common sense and not run away from a ship at the first complaint on these boards. So, don't fear any poor experiences relayed on this site unless there are numerous ones. Hope everybody has a great cruise in their future!!!:D

First off the Aloha does serve canned fruit. It was usally a mix of fruit, however I always wondered why they even put this on the buffet. Being they served so much fresh fruit on board. To say they didnt have fresh fruit the OP must be blind.

In my 20 weeks on board I know we never ran out of fresh fruit. Maybe of one thing but always had fruit. Now towards the end of the morning then there was limited fresh fruit. Say around 10 in the morning.

Look I'll be the first to Knock NCL, I'm not their biggest fan, but the fruit was a strong point. The pineapples were Maui gold, very pricey. They serve fresh papaya when they could find enough, and always had a ton of melons. At the end of my contract they were even serving yellow watermelon. It impressed me.

As for the sewage smell this has been documented on the Pride of America, but not the Aloha. I smelled sewage one time, and it was a late saturday night, and I was outside on deck 11 where the buffet was. I made a comment about it, and was informed that it was from the burning of sludge, which I guess the ship does from time to time, but it is rare and done late at night. I don't beleive for a second that the aloha has a smell problem.

As for the dining room food. Well cold food that happens, but you wont see raw food much. They cook everything but steaks well done. Got a few compliants that the fish was dried out. The simply will not cook a fish to medium in temp. Has to be 160 degrees.

Lastly I would like to say this is a cruise to see hawaii. Its not like an carribbean cruise. Being its in port everyday there are alot of things just not offered. Most people get off the ship early and stay off till the ship is getting ready to leave. Its a way to see the islands plain and simple. I can't believe to many people would go all the way to hawaii for a cruise in itself. The ship is the means to see the islands. Go enjoy hawaii take it all in, and if u get a bad meal or your lazy butt sleeps till 10 in the morning, and has to eat canned fruit so be it. Your there to see Hawaii. If you want a just a great cruise then take one with some sea days to the carribbean.

The 10 pp has never been a tip pool on the NCLA ships. It is a a true service charge to offset the added expense of US workers benefits. The crew gets nothing extra from that charge - never have never will.

That said the crew on a NCLA ship are paid much more per hour including overtime. No getting rich but more then the $2 and hour an internation crew member might get. More in the 7-9 dollar an hour. Tipping is not required. If you believe someone deserves extra you will need to tip as you go.

since the tip is on your room account can you have it taken off? for instance, if you want to pay cash or pay more, our daughters will be in their own room and don't plan on eating in dining room.

The 10 pp has never been a tip pool on the NCLA ships. It is a a true service charge to offset the added expense of US workers benefits. The crew gets nothing extra from that charge - never have never will.

That said the crew on a NCLA ship are paid much more per hour including overtime. No getting rich but more then the $2 and hour an internation crew member might get. More in the 7-9 dollar an hour. Tipping is not required. If you believe someone deserves extra you will need to tip as you go.

Great info...thank you.

Have wondered how the US crew (who would not work for minimal) got paid!

Also, don't you think that the sewerage problems have something to do with the ports/how many stops at ports?

Loading/off-loading?

Smells are only at "certain" times on the ships.

Any thoughts?

First time posters who never return to post??:confused:

Great info...thank you.

Have wondered how the US crew (who would not work for minimal) got paid!

Also, don't you think that the sewerage problems have something to do with the ports/how many stops at ports?

Loading/off-loading?

Smells are only at "certain" times on the ships.

Any thoughts?

First time posters who never return to post??:confused:

To be exact - Bar Waiter

Position is onboard with room, meals and uniforms provided.

PAY RATE: $6.50/hr (overtime after 40hrs/week= $9.75/hr)

WORK SCHEDULE: 7 days per week 8-10 hours per day.

Assignment onboard for 16-20 weeks with 4-5 weeks vacation between assignments.

since the tip is on your room account can you have it taken off? for instance, if you want to pay cash or pay more, our daughters will be in their own room and don't plan on eating in dining room.
The tip covers more than dining room staff. If your daughters eat anything onboard, except room service, then the auto tip covers it. Also, they have a room right? The tip covers the person that will clean up after your kids.

As Cecilia pointed out the $10 minimum service charge covers many of those that will make everyones cruise special. As far as adjusting the amount you can if you have an issue with the service. That is unlikely on the Jewel from all reports.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#18

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise vacation. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

As Cecilia pointed out the $10 minimum service charge covers many of those that will make everyones cruise special. As far as adjusting the amount you can if you have an issue with the service. That is unlikely on the Jewel from all reports.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#18

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise vacation. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

thanks for clarifying this for me. i appreciate your posts

Wow! I didn't realize that by posting MY opinion of MY cruise that I would be attacked and even accused of lying!

My posting was, in no way, meant to "Scare" anyone. My posting was only meant to serve as a posting of my experience aboard this ship. I had absolutely no ulterior motive, other than posting my opinion. Yes, I am new to this board, because I did not know it existed before. I promise you all, that I tried to find every good thing possible and did find several, some of which I mentioned in my original post. I try to be one of those people who takes the time to write letters and give praise any chance I get.

Before booking and sailing on the POA, I did as much research as I possibly could and only learned about this site while onboard the ship -- from another passenger who informed me that he should have paid attention to the postings and saved his money.

My direct mention of the other 2 cruise lines is strictly because I have sailed those cruise lines several times and have had wonderful experiences on both. I had no intention of trying to undermine any ship or keep any ship from sailing out.

I have learned a valuable lesson here -- just keep your opinion to yourself and, I guess, it just does not pay to voice your honest viewpoint.

My apologies to all you out there that feel I'm dishonest just because I have not had any previous posts. This will be my last for sure.

But the fact still remains, it was MY opinion about MY cruise.

Buchanan

Houston, TX

WOW We are booked in a penthouse in a few weeks. What do you mean "tipping as you went?" for both bulters? How was their service? Did you use room service? Besides old - how was the cabin?

Where you not able to make reservations in the dining rooms?

Fill us in more...

By tipping as we went, I meant after each meal and for each service, including leaving tips on the tables in the poolside cafes. The tip was still included in any alcoholic beverages purchased. I had no problem with it but I went back later on and re-read all my cruise documents and it was not shown anywhere (and we weren't told, we heard other guests discussing it) that NCL was "trying' the new tipping method instead of the regular way. My understanding is they have reutrned to the "old" way of so much per day.

About our penthouse, we were on the very front of the ship, port side. The furnishings in the room were old, the carpet was showing wear & tear but it was very, very CLEAN. Our butlers did a great job for us. We tipped them at the end of the week for a job well done.

Also, if we had known about making reservations, we would definitely have done so. I guess it was a matter of not knowing the right questions to ask or who to ask. My understanding is now that you CAN make reservations but you have to make them every day. You can't have a standing reservation for the week.

Good Luch and I hope you have a great vacation.

So you had two butlers and no concierge? I would think with a penthouse you'd have a conceirge to take all the reservation hassles away from you. Perhaps this particular concierge did a poor job of properly explaining his duties and what you should expect of him. A good concierge is supposed to be able to assure the last thing his guest has is a lack of reservations or being forced to wait. Sounds like the ball might of been dropped there.

We had an almost identical experience on the POAM (bad food in the dining room, sewage smells, very slow service, waiters who just dissappeared, not to be seen again). However we did love the ship and had a good time, so it definitely wasn`t all bad. We also received future cruise discount vouchers, but when we called, we found out you can`t use the vouchers for any kind of specials or sales. So they are pretty much worthless, as we can get just as good a price by watching specials. (We aren`t rich!) With that in mind, we will probably not sail NCL again. We did consider the jewel. I also resent it when people on this board imply that we are just "picky". Well, we are not. In regards to food I just thought it should be better than what I eat at home on a normal night. (I`m no great cook) I am also low maintenance, and would prefer to just take care of myself. (I`m a nurse) I have no particular favorite for a cruise line, and have always been happy in the past with whatever line I was on.

• 1 month later...

I liked Bailey554's quotes:

I imagine this cruise, which we are sooooo excited, about despite the negative reviews that I've read for the past 8 months, will be somewhat the same.

We are thrilled to be in Hawaii on a cruiseship where our rooms will be made up each day, our buffet breakfast will have been prepped & served by someone else, and our dinners chosen from a limited menu.

We do not have visions of grandeur; of butlers, gourmet food and impeccable service. This is an all American crew with pre-tipping. We pretty much know what to expect.

Believe me, if we wanted excellent service and top of the line food served piping hot we would find a top of the line expensive cruise to go on (won't happen, way out of our price range!).

These type of cruise ships don't have the grandure of movies like "Titanic"

and anyone who expects it, "they will not get it"..I'm gonna be forking out close to 10K in November, for a Penthouse, and first class airfair for my wife & I. I plan to have cruise critic tags hanging off my luggage while Im wearing my blue/yellow CC t-shirt, after I'm settled into my room,

I've cruised this ship to Alaska..I know theres gonna be little things that bug me , but with that kinda money, ya think Im gonna let it ruin my whole trip "no way" even before I go , I will more than likely cruise NCL no matter what happens on a cruise thats still 7 months away..

For the general public, a cruise should be the best vacation getaway money can buy, but face it you buy things everyday in life that unfortunantly breakdown and you deal with it...I've put so much research into this cruise, its like buying a new home, and I plan on enjoing every second of it no matter what..fresh fruit or not..Right on Bailey you've got it right

In my 20 weeks on board I know we never ran out of fresh fruit. Maybe of one thing but always had fruit. Now towards the end of the morning then there was limited fresh fruit. Say around 10 in the morning.

HOLY SNIPES! 20 weeks on board and you're not an NCL fan??? Must be some sort of self abuse that's extremely enjoyable! ;)

Part of your posting makes it sound as if you worked on board, part of it makes it sound as if you were a cruiser.

-Monte

:mad: :mad: I had the worst cruise experience of my life sailing the Pride of Aloha in Hawaii. NCL needs to either dock this ship permanently or dry dock it and spend the money necessary to fix their problems.

We had booked a pre & post hotel package and had gone through the check in process at our hotel only to be made to stand in line outside in the heat for over an hour to check in again.

While this would be frustrating, it sounds like a hotel problem not a ncl problem.

We had a penthouse suite and found the room very old, but clean.

Nothing wrong here.

A word to the wise, if you book a penthouse, you are assigned 2 butlers, which means double the tips. On our sailing, we were unaware and were not told beforehand, NCL had changed their tipping policy and only found out about halfway through our cruise that we should have been tipping as we went. BAD!

Bad? You found out in time to compensate everyone properly. No worries. Or, are you complaining that you had to tip 2 people? If you can't afford this small extra expense don't book the penthouse!

The food was terrible. We were served canned fruit on all the buffets. Here we are sailing in paradise where tropical fruits like papaya, mango and pineapple fall to the ground and literally rot and NCL chooses to insult their guests by serving them canned fruit. Even in Alaska, you are served wonderful fresh fruits every day!

Canned peaches and pears are common to all buffets. Generally the melons are fresh. Other fruits are served fresh when in season. If you cruised recently it would have been late winter and fresh fruit choices would be limited. Alaska cruises, generally in summer, are at the height of northern hemisphere seasonal fruit harvest. Yum!

Their "Freestyle" dining experience is a joke, also. We stood in line for over an hour and a half to be served cold, raw food! We tried one of the alternate dining restaurants and although the food was better, the service was deplorable. We were totally ignored and had to ask for a menu, refills on our iced tea and even salt & pepper for our table.

More than 1.5 hours in line? I've never heard of this before. There are many options such as other venues or enjoying a lounge for a while then returning after the rush. As for cold and raw- I just love Sushi.

The ship smelled of raw sewage in several places and mold in others..

Yuck! OK I'll give you that one.

After we got home, I wrote a letter to NCL to complain. I don't like to do that but we had saved for over 5 years to take that cruise and I felt like I had thrown my money down the drain. I received a form-letter type reply from NCL telling me my complaints were unfounded, mine was the ONLY complaint received and then insulted me even further by offering me a $200 "coupon" for another cruise! Yeah, I see that happening in this lifetime!..

I think this is the posters true complaint. The listed complaints were all minor, but cumulatively frustrating. It seems five years of expectations and perhaps a cruise slightly out of posters financial comfort zone led to a unsatisfying experience, but what reply did she expect from NCL? I imagine she demanded a refund in her complaint - Not going to happen. Now having not gotten her way she is throwing a tantrum on these boards, exaggerating small problems into the worst cruise ever.

Hey if you don't want that coupon I'm sure someone here would be thrilled to have it.

We were on the Pride of Aloha in May of 2005. We had read many bad reviews of long waits in the dining room, old, dirty rooms etc. We had a balcony room on the ninth deck, and just have to say our experience was totally different. Our room was always kept clean and made up very well. We never had to wait in the restaurant, and our service was always good. From the time we went to the restaurant till the time we left was about 1 hour and that included dessert. I have to say however that some of our group was complaining that their dinners took up to three hours. We went to the restaurant early, and had no problems, while those that went late were the ones that had long waits. The only problem we had was the way the ship was laid out, in other words, you couldn't get there from here. You couldn't get from the restaurant to the front of the ship without going up one deck and then back down. Also, the buffet wasn't arranged very efficiently. Other than that, we had a great cruise.

Wow! I didn't realize that by posting MY opinion of MY cruise that I would be attacked and even accused of lying!

Here's a cruise review webpage that had a Penthouse and agreed with you on condition saying:

"The ship however was showing its age in some areas .... For a ship that had just been through a refurbishment, many things still needed work. It looks like they concentrated on the public areas redecoration and not cabin refurbishment."

http://www.orcatekweb.com/POA/ncl_Pride_of_Aloha_october_2004.htm

I would also be unhappy with a ship in worn condition, and would expect good quality fruit. I have only been on NCLs newer ships and have been happy, the fruit was all fresh and as good as it gets.

You might consider trying the Pearl. It is just like the Jewel which I found it to be a great ship, and new also. The 9 day South Caribbean cruise looked good to me as a great itinerary and two extra days, so I booked it.

Archived