Greenland Questions

kerota

I'm looking at a Greenland cruise on Grandeur Of The Seas (Sep 2024). I know Nanortalik and Qaqortoq are tenders. Is Nuuk a port or tender?  Concerning the tender ports, how often are they cancelled because of weather? Thanks.

5 hours ago, kerota said:

'm looking at a Greenland cruise on Grandeur Of The Seas (Sep 2024). I know Nanortalik and Qaqortoq are tenders. Is Nuuk a port or tender?  Concerning the tender ports, how often are they cancelled because of weather? Thanks.

We docked in Nuuk at a very unattractive working dock.  Had a shuttle bus to run us over to the nicer more historic harbour area area of town which was further away than expected  and over a hilly route

We did two cruises with Greenlandic port calls and none were affected by weather,( even managed to cruise Prince Christian Sound) although the area can be affected by fog which we experienced quite a bit of although it didn't impact our visits.

OTOH, a cousin and his wife cruised a similar route one of the times but 2 weeks earlier than us, and missed two ports of call due to icebergs blocking entries to the ports. And PCSund is only accessible if both ends are clear of icebergs allowing through passage as ships cannot turn around. I think RC ships might be too large for passage there anyway, but that I do not know. It was a particular highlight.

With communities being small, and the need to tender in at least two of your ports, I would suggest that if possible  you maybe consider an itinerary on a smaller ship

Edited by edinburgher

Just returned from a Greenland cruise on the Jewel. We visited 3 ports. Nuuk we docked at port. The other 2 we tendered. I do believe those ports can be missed if it’s too foggy. Grandeur is smaller than Jewel. Was a great cruise!

• Like 1

I was on a Greenland cruise in August. Each morning started foggy but then glorious sunshine and no wind. No problem with tendering at Qaqortoq and Nanortalik. Maybe I was lucky. It was suggested that it was better to do some of the excursions early in the day; not so as the visibility was so poor until about 11a.m. I found the country and people totally fascinating.

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2023 at 4:15 AM, kerota said:

I'm looking at a Greenland cruise on Grandeur Of The Seas (Sep 2024). I know Nanortalik and Qaqortoq are tenders. Is Nuuk a port or tender?  Concerning the tender ports, how often are they cancelled because of weather? Thanks.

Your Grandeur is now replaced by Jewel. We did Jewel in September.

Nuuk -docked- stroll up the hill into town, about 20 minutes. Don’t miss going over the far side for the outstanding views 

IMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.4070f99812914d88d7dd25322336b795.jpeg

best place for shopping - Dooit designs have amazing glassware but expensive. 

Tendered into Q and N. We were blessed with outstanding weather 

• 1 month later...

We were just there in August and it was grey and rainy for most of our time cruising in Greenland. We also docked in Nuuk (my least favorite port) and tendered in the other two ports. That being said; we did excursions in every port even in a driving rain as we had already paid and doubt that we'll be going back. It may have been uncomfortable in that little RIB but we loved it none-the-less. The tenders ran without a hitch and have no complaints. So darn many icebergs as we were heading out from the last port. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 10:00 PM, Dot60 said:

Just returned from a Greenland cruise on the Jewel. We visited 3 ports. Nuuk we docked at port. The other 2 we tendered. I do believe those ports can be missed if it’s too foggy. Grandeur is smaller than Jewel. Was a great cruise!

I was on this same cruise and loved it.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

If we buy something like animal fur rugs in Nanortalik and or Qaqortoq are we allowed to bring it back to the US?

Edited by Kdatcm

17 hours ago, Kdatcm said:

If we buy something like animal fur rugs in Nanortalik and or Qaqortoq are we allowed to bring it back to the US?

I'd search the Internet and US Customs sites instead of relying on random input from strangers on the internet.  It is likely your question here is too vague to answer, anyway, as I expect Polar Bears might be treated differently than seals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 4:57 PM, paradiselivin1 said:

We were just there in August and it was grey and rainy for most of our time cruising in Greenland. We also docked in Nuuk (my least favorite port) and tendered in the other two ports. That being said; we did excursions in every port even in a driving rain as we had already paid and doubt that we'll be going back. It may have been uncomfortable in that little RIB but we loved it none-the-less. The tenders ran without a hitch and have no complaints. So darn many icebergs as we were heading out from the last port. Enjoy!

How was the weather... I can understand the rain but temperature wise? TIA

On 3/4/2024 at 11:52 PM, Kdatcm said:

Your question asked and replied to on this thread, with references to C.I.T.E.S.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995710-nanortalik-and-qaqortoq/#comment-67060958

On 3/5/2024 at 5:00 PM, Nitemare said:
On 3/4/2024 at 11:52 PM, Kdatcm said:

I'd search the Internet and US Customs sites instead of relying on random input from strangers on the internet.  It is likely your question here is too vague to answer, anyway, as I expect Polar Bears might be treated differently than seals.

The question was asked and replied to with references to C.I.T.E.S. Someone even mentioned signage in the Q tannery stating that sealskin was prohibited in the USA (it appears that Kdatcm double posted)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995710-nanortalik-and-qaqortoq/#comment-67060958

On 3/15/2024 at 2:41 PM, BSCarlow said:

How was the weather... I can understand the rain but temperature wise?

Don't remember it being too cold when we weren't on the open RIB's but felt raw with the rain. We walked in every port and while I don't remember the temperatures, we walked comfortably on long walks. Simply prepare to layer and bring along rainwear even if it's the little ponchos you can get in a pouch. Think that what we used once when caught short. If it hasn't already been mentioned when you researched the ports; if you are in search of trinkets/magnets, etc. in those ports you will need to get off early! Slim pickings and you may find yourself with northing to take home (other than junk) if it important to you! Enjoy!!