SYDNEY & AUCKLAND HELP

Table 6 UK

LADIES & GENTS - The two of us will be taking a 11 day Celebrity Edge cruise from Sydney to Auckland in February and we haven't booked any excursions as yet and have noticed it appears too late to book any Celebrity ones (OK - our fault)

Our major consideration is what we can do in the 3 days we have in Sydney pre-cruise and the 3 days we have in Auckland post cruise and we will try and sort out the other ports of call ourselves - so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

While I don't proclaim to be an expert, here's some things we've enjoyed in the past:

1. Free Guided Walking Tours:  Both Sydney and Auckland have Free Guided Walking Tours.  Sydney has two a City Sights and "The Rocks,"  Auckland's meets near the Cruise Terminal  see: Sydney Free Walking Tours | I'm Free Tours Sydney (imfree.tours) 
  2. Try to catch a show (not a tour) at the Sydney Opera House.  We're seeing "Opera's Greatest Arias" in February 2024
  3. Sydney Bridge Climb or at least the Pylon Overlook/Museum 
  4. Dinner and a pint (or two) at one of the old pubs in The Rocks (Sydney)
  5. Sydney has two HOHO Bus routes that are very good at a "one over the world" view of Sydney
  6. ferry over to Manly Beach for a laid back kind of day (Sydney)
  7. A day trip (either by tour or a DIY) to the Blue Mountains (Sydney)
  8. A stroll through the botanical gardens (Sydney)
  9. Walk or Bus up to The Domain in Auckland.  Great Museum and a very nice park.
  10. Find a tour of Auckland that gets you out to the major sights One Tree Hill and such
  11. Both places (Auckland especially) see what Tours by Locals has available  Auckland-New-Zealand - Find an Authentic Private Tour - (toursbylocals.com)

Have Fun,

Greg

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Table 6 UK said:

OK Greg - thanks very much for that - we will take a look at all your recommendations and book accordingly - cheers  

For Auckland, I would suggest catching the ferry across the harbour to the village of Devonport. Agree with all the Sydney recommendations.

• Like 2

I would also agree with the Sydney recommendations apart from #5 the HOHO busses which are obsolete now the light rail  is operating. Along with the walking tours, you could also get a Sydney Greeter, part of the international Greeter organisation which will create a bespoke tour with a likeminded guide based on your interests.

A trip by train to the Blue Mountains is another great day out.

You could also look at the Riverboat Postman cruise on the Hawkesbury, easily accessible by train.

For Auckland, I recommend a ferry ride to Waiheke Island to spend the day visiting the gorgeous wineries, olive groves and countryside. You can hire a car or bikes whilst there.

• Like 2

Many thanks for that. So are you saying that the HOHO buses do not operate now ? Do you know the cost of the Sydney Greeter option ?

The Blue mountains seem to be very popular - is taking the train an easy thing to do from the Rocks area (hotel) and can we take something like a bike ride once we get there?

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Table 6 UK said:

Many thanks for that. So are you saying that the HOHO buses do not operate now ? Do you know the cost of the Sydney Greeter option ?

The Blue mountains seem to be very popular - is taking the train an easy thing to do from the Rocks area (hotel) and can we take something like a bike ride once we get there?

Thanks again

The hoho busses still operate but get stuck in traffic and are pretty useless. Catch the tram or go on the fabulous ferries for a multitude of destinations. The Coogee to Bondi walk is very worthwhile doing or you could catch a ferry and do the entire coastal walk from Watsons Bay all the way to Coogee.

Catch the train from Circular Quay to Central and then train to Katoomba. (check that there is no maintenance scheduled on a weekend which may mean a bus replacing the train) There is a HOHO bus in the blue mountains which will take you to the main attractions. Or you could Uber or walk. When I was there last we saw many people mountain biking the trails. I'm not sure if you can hire mountain bikes but you can get ebikes. https://bmac.com.au/

Sydney Greeters are free. They request that you donate whatever you believe is fair to the organisation. DON'T tip the greeter. https://internationalgreeter.org/destinations/sydney?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Table 6 UK said:

YARRAMAR - can I ask - if we visit the Blue Mountains during February and do the hop on hop off bus tour amongst other things - would we need to pack warmer clothes other than the usual summer clothes ?

This is the February observations this year.  http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/202302/html/IDCJDW2068.202302.shtml

They have forecast an El Nino weather event for our summer so temperatures are likely to be warmer, less rain and less wind

I highly recommend taking the ferry to Waiheke Island for the day when in Auckland. You can get local buses once on the island to go to various points of interest, including some great wineries. Try to make it to Onetangi Beach for lunch at the Ki Maha Restaurant. Amazing food, especially the local oysters, and an excellent wine list. We have friends that live nearby and went to this restaurant with them in December. It was amazing!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 3:11 PM, gdlamberth said:

While I don't proclaim to be an expert, here's some things we've enjoyed in the past:

1. Try to catch a show (not a tour) at the Sydney Opera House.  We're seeing "Opera's Greatest Arias" in February 2024

Greg

We have tickets to the same show in February (2/25)!

• Like 1

Right in the heart of Sydney, near where the ship departs; is the Australian National Maritime Museum. We really enjoyed it - you can go aboard the replica of Captain Cook's Endeavour, as well as onboard a decommissioned Submarine and Destroyer. Also in the same area is Madam Tussauds wax museum and the Sydney Aquarium which we also found good. Walking distance from there to the Opera House and Botanical gardens. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Right in the heart of Sydney, near where the ship departs; is the Australian National Maritime Museum. We really enjoyed it - you can go aboard the replica of Captain Cook's Endeavour, as well as onboard a decommissioned Submarine and Destroyer. Also in the same area is Madam Tussauds wax museum and the Sydney Aquarium which we also found good. Walking distance from there to the Opera House and Botanical gardens. 

I second the Maritime Museum. It's a wonderful, interesting place to visit. 

Although I wouldn't class it as right in the heart of Sydney. It is actually quite a way from Circular Quay, close to three kilometres if walking or around five kms if driving. For some, probably not far but for others, it is qute a distance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...