Dining with children

Beachfan98

My Kids are 10 and 7. I will be on the Century April 2 and have late seating with a table of 10. Does this include 2 chairs that will be empty if my kids are not there? I heard that there is informal dinning for them.Has anyone taken their kids to eat there and put them in the kids program for the parents to eat at the formal dinning room? If I do take them to the formal dinning one night is there kid friendly food served there?

I am cruising on the Century April 2 and have late seating. My 7 and 10 year old kids are going also. We are at a table for 10. Will there be 2 empty chairs if my kids are not there? If I do take them into the dinning room is there kid friendly food offered? What other options do I have for feeding the kids and still having a meal in the dinning room for mom and dad? Has anyone taken there kids to the midnight buffet to experience the fun carvings and ice sculptures?

Yes, if your kids do not show up, there will be 2 empty chairs there.

There is a children's menu available in the dining room. Our kids have always liked what was on the menu.

Your options include feeding your kids from the room service menu or taking them to the alternative dining room during main seating. I think you can also feed the kids an early dinner from the grill. In all cases you would hand your kids off to the children's program which starts at 7pm before you go and eat during late seating. On both of the formal nights, the children's program hosts a pizza party for the kids.

hello,

Having cruised with two children who were close in age to yours, you probably will be better to switch to the first seating. The second seating is really for late dining, that is, after 8:00 PM which is really late for kids. After long days of fun and more fun the 7 year old might well fall asleep in the dining room. This has nothing to do with maturity as I am sure that your kids are very well behaved but the second seating is late dining.

The chairs will be kept empty because the wait staff would not know who would be there. And at the first seating the wait staff knows that they have children and many have lots of fun with the kids. The second seating is for grown ups and good conversation.

Another reason for the switch to the early dinner time is that you can have dinner as a family, and still sit at a table for 10 where most likely there will be another family with children. See the maitre D as soon as you board the ship and they will gladly assist you if they can, to arrange for first seating and a table with another family.

The alternative dining room is a dining room set up in the buffet area but it is a sit down dinner and this would work for you as well but you would miss some of the elegance and fun that the regular dining room provides. The food is excellent and the service is good in the alternative dining room but it really isn't part of the cruise experience that you expect.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

I have always requested the late seating with my children in the dining room. They were 4 and 7 when they started and it was a bit difficult however, the dining room staff will ask if you would like to have them serverd ahead of everyone else which can work out if you or your husband want to run them down to the kids program between courses. I see many other children on the late seating, not as much as the early of course but they also are well behaved and manage easily. Sometimes an afternoon nap helps, I know I certainly need one most cruises. The children can order off a kids menu that is designed to match courses with the adult menu but they will always substitute things if you request them. Please keep in mind that the dress code for the evening also applies to children and some of them look amazing like little prince and princesses.

DD and I took her 4 kids on the Mercury a few years ago (my grandkids) they were ages 8 9 12 and 14. The younger kids loved the kids club so much they ate with them when ever it was offered. Normally about 6pm. But they enjoyed the dinning room too. They were able to order kid type food and as much as they wanted. Hamburgers french fries, "mashed potatoes" grill cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese. All food they loved. The older ones ordered off the reg. menu and had lots of choices and new food to try.

This was their 2nd cruise and had learned how to behave at dinner. Yes they played around a little but never enough to bother anyone else around us.

Since there were 6 of us we did have a table to our selves. Altho some nights there were just 3 of us. The 14yr old boy found friends to eat with rather than Mom and Grandmom.

the waiter served the kids first and kept bringing them treats to keep them entertained. We excused them to go to the kid club - the 12 yr old signed them in. DD and I were able to enjoy our meal and after dinner drinks without the kids.

hello,

I forgot to add the kids food in the dining room and the midnight buffet. Most of the food on a Celebrity ship is European and may take some getting used to by your kids. The wait staff will be very helpful here, and if they really don't like the regular dining room, you can get them fed very nicely at the 4-5 :00 PM "snack time" at the buffet.

As for the midnight bufet kids try mightily to stay awake and hopefully yours will make it but remember they are going to be going full blast with one activity after another all day long so it is iffy whether they can stay up that late.

Hope this helps,

Fred

Your table will include the two chairs for the kids. There is no informal dining for the kids except for Pizza, sushi, and room service. Room service will bring you the regular dining room food during regular dining room hours. There is an informal dining area but that is off a menu with the main course served by the waiters. Celebrity does not have buffets for dinner. They will give them dinner only on formal nights I believe.

If they are comfortable with the kids clubs, you should have no problem eating while they are in their groups.

Dining room staff are welcoming to kids and will seat them like the adults. Kid friendly foods are available and if you don't see them - ask. For instance, for a chicken eating youngster that won't touch it covered in "goop", just ask for the sauces held off. The crew will accomodate you.

Going with late seating can stretch the appetites of young (and old alike). I know my temperament declines when I'm hungry and my kids too. Depending on circumstances, you might want to run the kids by the buffet at an early hour (6 PM) for "heavy appetizers" if holding off creates famish frustration.

that will tell you whether the dining room is right for your kids or not.

Our son is now 10 and has been on six cruises with us since he was 6 1/2. He has had dinner with us in the main dining room pretty much every single night of every one of those cruises (and he's looking forward to our next one, 12 nights on Galaxy in just two weeks).

As others have pointed out, there are kids' menus if your kids like "typical kid food." Our son has always had slightly more eclectic tastes, so he has been ordering from the grownup menu most of the time. You can also mix and match --- I remember cruises where he had hot dog and french fries for his "entree" after an escargot appetizer!

All of the waiters and assistant waiters who have served us have doted on our son (and other kids we've seen around). They are kind, friendly, and also very elegant in their own way, while never being stuffy. The team on our second Century cruise (Dixon and Iwayan) was so wonderful, we actually cried on our last night.

But -- some kids might not be able to handle it. On our first cruise, we were paired with another family of three, whose child was younger (I think about 4). She just couldn't deal with the dining room, and they never came back after that first night. The second cruise, we supposedly were going to have another family as tablemates -- and they NEVER showed up! On the third cruise, we wound up stuck with a table full of folks who all had grown children and did NOT care very much to be sharing their table with a 7-year-old, so ever since then, we've just gotten our own table, and have had a grand time. (Always early seating; I personally wouldn't mind eating later, but my husband and son are used to early dinners at home --- while waiting for me to return from work --- and they would starve!)

Hope you have fun however it works out ... TR

We have always had late seating with my daughters (now 7 & 10). We request a table for four, so we do not bother other people who do not want to be with kids for dinner.

On our last cruise, there was the option of the kids eating, almost every night, with the fun factory staff. I believe there was a $ 7 charge for each child, however, on the formal nights it was free.

Our daughters ate there, three of the seven nights.

Celebrity has a great kids menu. Hamburgers, cheeseburgers and hot dogs are always on the kids menu. There are also items like small filets, fish sticks etc. It is my opinion that the kids menu on Celebrity is basicly just like a kids menu at a nice dinner place, but alittle nicer.

When my sister took her kids, who are very very picky eaters, they had no problem at all finding things to eat between the kids menu and the "adult" menu. In fact, one night banana splits were on the kids menu and my wife and I ordered one. FANTASTIC.

I think late dinner is fine for kids. There are plenty of ways to get them a snack before dinner. I would suggest that perhaps you get a table, just for your family, or request a table with other kids.

We have always had late seating with my daughters (now 7 & 10). We request a table for four, so we do not bother other people who do not want to be with kids for dinner.

On our last cruise, there was the option of the kids eating, almost every night, with the fun factory staff. I believe there was a $ 7 charge for each child, however, on the formal nights it was free.

Our daughters ate there, three of the seven nights.

Celebrity has a great kids menu. Hamburgers, cheeseburgers and hot dogs are always on the kids menu. There are also items like small filets, fish sticks etc. It is my opinion that the kids menu on Celebrity is basicly just like a kids menu at a nice dinner place, but alittle nicer.

When my sister took her kids, who are very very picky eaters, they had no problem at all finding things to eat between the kids menu and the "adult" menu. In fact, one night banana splits were on the kids menu and my wife and I ordered one. FANTASTIC.

I think late dinner is fine for kids. There are plenty of ways to get them a snack before dinner. I would suggest that perhaps you get a table, just for your family, or request a table with other kids.

The problem with late seating for kids is the kids clubs are closed for early seating and open again afterwards. If the kids are involved in the clubs they will miss good quality time in the clubs with late seating that they would not with early.

We usually feed our dd dinner at the grill or buffet, the go to our late seating dinner and one of us will run and pick her up and bring her to the dining room when the Fun Factory closes- and thats usually in time to have dessert with us.

She has a hard time sitting still for those long dinners and we like to have dinner in peace!

We requested the later seating on our first cruise, last summer, and have done so again for our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. The kids are now 11 and 14 and really enjoyed choosing items from both the children's and regular menus. We liked the late seating arrangement since we felt that we weren't rushing back to the ship from our port activities. Both kids liked option of a sushi or pizza snack to hold them until dinner. Also, they could indulge in late afternoon ice cream or cookies without fear of spoiling their dinner.

The only downside to the later seating for dinner is that the kids club activities do take place during that time period. My son didn't really care, but when my daughter wanted to participate in a particular activity, we just let our waiter know and he brought her meal earlier than the rest of ours, so that she was able to go back to the activities pretty quickly.

We do get late seating because we get more time either at port or around the pool. Its amazing to see how many people leave the pool area around 5:00 PM ( I guess thats because half of the ship is getting ready to eat!).

On the nights that our kids wanted to eat with us, but also wanted to attend the fun factory, we also told our waiter and the kids meals were brought out fairly quickly.

Sometimes it would be nice to have early seating, but when you get a wife and two daughters and myself together and try to get ready at one time we move like a bunch of turtles. Sometimes I think we have to get ready for dinner right after lunch!

Our DD9 has been on several cruises and has always eaten in the dining room with us. Once in a while, we will run her to the Kids Club if she finishes before us (usually due to excitment). However, I have found that the staff is excellent with kids. They do thier best to accomodate.

I have always attempted to have my daughter try items off of the main menu to encourage her to try new things. If nothing looks very good, there is always the kids menu. On our last cruise in October - she learned that she likes shrimp cocoktail, mango soup, and brie cheese.

Do what you feel best. There certainly is no lack of food on the cruise. You might want to try a couple of nights in the dining room and a couple of nights in the kids club.

Have a great cruise!

Desiree

Celebrity does not offer a buffet for dinner...on any of the ships.

There is "alternative dining" which is located in "The Buffet Area",

AFT.

It is an area that has tablecloths and you are served. 2.00

suggested gratuity. They offer a few menu items and it is a more

casual atmoshpere.

I noticed someone said they had a buffet...who was it? In

7 previous X cruises I have never seen a buffet for dinner.

Options,.....I know they have sushi and the grill out at the pool is

open, burgers, dogs, fries, pizza. Room Service is available as well.

Thank you for clearing that up, Lois.

One more thing...how late is the poolside grill open?

Also...can we order off the dinner menu and have it delivered to our room?

Sorry to be a pain...I'm just trying to sort through the information.

hello,

The alternative dining room on the Mercury is set up in the buffet area but it is not a buffet. It is a very nice, casual dining setting for those who for whatever reason do not want to have dinner in the main dining room. The menu selections are excellent and the service is attentive if not as polished as in the main dining room. This is also a nice place for dinner with children on the nights when you do not want to have dinner in the Mercury's truly beautiful main dining room.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Thank you for clearing that up, Lois.

One more thing...how late is the poolside grill open?

Also...can we order off the dinner menu and have it delivered to our room?

Sorry to be a pain...I'm just trying to sort through the information.

Val, you are not a pain:)

I don't know how late the poolside grill is open though. Maybe

someone else can give you the correct answer.

I have never eaten dinner out there.

As for room service, to my knowledge, yes, you can order

what is being served in the dining room. Again, I have never

done it but I am sure someone who has can give you a more

definitive reply. But from everything I have read, anything

on the dining room menus can be ordered from room service.

Celeb doesn't have a buffet in the evening... Somehow my recollection of the Celeb pasta stations got mixed with memories of the Horizon Court...

The point: Get the kids something to eat if they need it... Celeb does have room service right? :d:

Archived