ETIAS - Travel To Europe

jdacombe

With the proposed introduction in 2024 of the ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System), does anybody have any information on this system and when in 2024 it will be implemented.

From what I can see an Authorisation will be required for travel from the UK to the Schengen countries including those people on cruises.

It as already been postponed several times, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's postponed again beyond May '25.

When it does eventually come in it will be no big deal  - those who currently don't need an EU visa will have to make a simple ten-minute on-line application for an ETIAS (visa-waiver) and pay a fairly nominal (about €15?) fee. Unless you're considered an undesirable it should be approved automatically in a matter of hours, altho best to apply several weeks in advance in case of any glitches  eg you have a name similar to an undesirable.

It will be valid for 3 years.

It'll be very similar to the ESTA which has been required for the last 15 years or more for entry to the USA

And the UK is also planning  to bring in a similar system.

No need for 2024 cruises, and no worries when it does come into force

JB 🙂

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

It as already been postponed several times, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's postponed again beyond May '25.

When it does eventually come in it will be no big deal  - those who currently don't need an EU visa will have to make a simple ten-minute on-line application for an ETIAS (visa-waiver) and pay a fairly nominal (about €15?) fee. Unless you're considered an undesirable it should be approved automatically in a matter of hours, altho best to apply several weeks in advance in case of any glitches  eg you have a name similar to an undesirable.

It will be valid for 3 years.

It'll be very similar to the ESTA which has been required for the last 15 years or more for entry to the USA

And the UK is also planning  to bring in a similar system.

No need for 2024 cruises, and no worries when it does come into force

JB 🙂

You were right, it has been postponed to May 2025. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just asked on another thread how it will work for dual nationals. I asked my TA. They didn’t know 

You can only provide one passport for online check in, so if I use my EU one will I need to show I don’t need visa to come to U.K.?

if I use my British passport to check in I’ll have to show I have an ETIAS? All so confusing! 

They all said if I used my EU passport for online check in I couldn’t ask the British consulate for help if necessary. I can’t see how that is right? 

God for the days before Brexit, when it was easier and I’d no need of another passport! 

• Like 1

Postponed until 2025 partly due to delays in rolling out the Entry/Exit System (EES) and the Summer Olympic Games in Paris. EES going live is a precursor to ETIAS going live, so until that happens there will be a delay.In theory once biometric data is collected it should speed up travel to EU countries. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wineoclock said:

They all said if I used my EU passport for online check in I couldn’t ask the British consulate for help if necessary. I can’t see how that is right? 

They are all wrong, primarily because there is no "EU Passport" or nationality, just passports and nationalities of EU member countries.

If someone is (say) a French & UK dual national, the UK FCO will not normally provide support to them in dealings with French authorities while they are in France.  This is regardless of which passport they travelled on; you don't need to have a French passport to be a French national, just as you don't have to have a UK passport to be a UK national.  If that same person needed assistance in (say) Germany, then it would normally be provided.

The FCO cover it all on their website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/who-the-fcdo-can-support-abroad#dual-nationals where they explicitly state "You do not need to be travelling on your British passport to seek support from the local British embassy, high commission or consulate."

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wineoclock said:

How will I show I don’t need ab Estia?

I doubt there's a way. I think you are going to need to make a choice. Travel on your UK passport and pay what's expected to be a small sum for the Estias. Or travel on your other passport and save a few quid. I think "mix and match" probably causes more hassle than just using one passport. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Thank you that’s what I thought! 

Im wondering how it will all work though. If I use my U.K. passport for online check in? How will I show I don’t need ab Estia? All so confusing! :)) 

Why wouldn't you supply the passport details that match what you will show at the border when you arrive?

If planes, ships or trains only collect one set of details for both out and return legs, that looks like something that they will need to address

It’s been announced as from 2025 that ETIAS will be extended to EFTA & Non-Schengen Countries as well, so one will be needed for Norway, Switzerland, Iceland & Liechtenstein, plus non-Schengen countries of Romania, Bulgaria & Cyprus. Ireland is exempt for U.K. travellers currently due to Common Travel Agreement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

It’s been announced as from 2025 that ETIAS will be extended to EFTA & Non-Schengen Countries as well, so one will be needed for Norway, Switzerland, Iceland & Liechtenstein, plus non-Schengen countries of Romania, Bulgaria & Cyprus. Ireland is exempt for U.K. travellers currently due to Common Travel Agreement.

............ but if you're visiting just one Schengen country you'll need an ETIAS anyway, and that one document will cover all of those added countries. An extra small expense if you're only flying to or from somewhere like Switzerland, but makes no difference to most European cruises - a Norway-only cruise is the only one I can think of where it will

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

17 hours ago, John Bull said:

............ but if you're visiting just one Schengen country you'll need an ETIAS anyway, and that one document will cover all of those added countries. An extra small expense if you're only flying to or from somewhere like Switzerland, but makes no difference to most European cruises - a Norway-only cruise is the only one I can think of where it will

JB 🙂

But if you are doing a land based holiday to any of those countries it will affect you,

On 9/26/2023 at 9:03 PM, jdacombe said:

With the proposed introduction in 2024 of the ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System), does anybody have any information on this system and when in 2024 it will be implemented.

From what I can see an Authorisation will be required for travel from the UK to the Schengen countries including those people on cruises.

https://www.fodors.com/news/travel-tips/european-etias-visa-implementation-will-probably-be-delayed

The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) is planned to be implemented in 2024, according to a European Union website about the system.

However, the website SchengenVisaInfo.com claims that ETIAS won’t be implemented until May 2025, according to unnamed European officials.

No delay has been officially announced by the EU, and Fodor’s has not been able to independently verify the information.  

Edited by EDVM96