Oceanview vs. Balcony for a Transatlantic?? The price difference is (how can I put this?)...YIKES!!!

schmoopie17

On 9/29/2023 at 6:54 PM, ysolde said:

I find the fact that at this price point, NCL still charges us for sodas, tea, and coffee ridiculous, but this is why we have mostly moved on to Regent.

Regent and NCL are worlds apart. Respectfully, that's not a fair comparison. NCL is a mass market line and Regent is luxury. You're comparing a Toyota to a Jaguar. 😉

If I was your wife, I would only be upset that you seem to think this is your decision to make. This should be a discussion and come to an agreement between the two of you. I would be very unhappy if my husband made a $2,500 decision without us agreeing on it. Did you really think that telling her that strangers on the internet think it's a waste of money would affect her thoughts? 

Edited by sanger727
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 5:38 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Regent and NCL are worlds apart. Respectfully, that's not a fair comparison. NCL is a mass market line and Regent is luxury. You're comparing a Toyota to a Jaguar. 😉

We're getting way off-topic here, but I will say that the prices NCL is charging for suites (not Haven) are really pushing it, when you consider the fact that it is a mass market line (hence, we will be paying our own airfare, we have to purchase our own excursions, we have to purchase internet packages, we have to purchase specialty dining packages, we have to purchase soda packages, coffee and tea packages, etc.). When you start to add up all the additional costs, Regent looks quite reasonably priced.  The only thing included in NCL suites class is breakfast and lunch in specialty dining restaurants (is it every day? Not sure), which sounds great, except it had never occurred to us to go to breakfast/lunch at a specialty dining venue on NCL.  This seems to be new to Prima/Viva class ships (or perhaps we had not heard of it).  It would be a much better value for us if they included the soda package or gave us a few nights' worth of specialty dining.  I suspect that they are providing this specialty dining at breakfast and lunch because, apparently, the buffet is notoriously small on this class of ship and they are looking at ways to ease overcrowding. 

3 hours ago, ysolde said:

When you start to add up all the additional costs, Regent looks quite reasonably priced.

I disagree. Regent's prices are astronomical compared to NCL's. I will say, however, that we only sail in balcony cabins as a rule, not suites. The average cruiser isn't a suite passenger, and the proof of that is that there are very few suites on most megaships, compared to balconies, oceanviews and insides. Just for fun, I had a look at Regent's Mediterranean itineraries for 2023. A comparable cruise on Regent for me and my wife (comparable to the one we are booked on with NCL next month, 10 days Mediterranean) is $7469 PER PERSON! Now yes, it comes with lots of extras, like Business class air, free excursions, mini bar, restaurants, drinks, transfers, etc. But you pay a heck of a lot more for those extras. IF you were planning on all of those items, I could see a rational basis for choosing Regent. But their offerings are still several times more expensive than ours, and we have a Club Balcony cabin. Regent's cheapest option is a "Deluxe Window Suite." I think for the average cruiser, NCL is an incredible bargain. We're paying roughly $4,000 for the two of us, and that includes Unlimited drinks, specialty dining, and standard Wifi. If we opted for FAS Plus, it still wouldn't come close to Regent's cost. Maybe one day, but I would not try and compare Regent to NCL on a cost basis.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:31 PM, sanger727 said:

If I was your wife, I would only be upset that you seem to think this is your decision to make. This should be a discussion and come to an agreement between the two of you. I would be very unhappy if my husband made a $2,500 decision without us agreeing on it. Did you really think that telling her that strangers on the internet think it's a waste of money would affect her thoughts? 

Apparently you haven't known me long enough to know that almost everything I say (especially on CC) has a certain degree of sarcasm attached to it. I told Mrs. Schmoopie that I posted this on CC and I would let her read the responses. She thought the whole thing was funny (of course, she also has the sarcasm gene...which is one thing that originally attracted me to her).

No "$2500 decision" has been made...far from it. We're tossing around ideas (together, mind you) for a big 2025 cruise and this is only one option. 

And just to refresh your memory, I wasn't talking about spending $2500...it was about SAVING $2500. Big difference if you're implying I was going behind her back with "my decision to make". 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

ysolde.

if youre booked into suite (not a club balcony) or a haven you can eat breakfast and lunch at the specially designated restaurants every day of your cruise. usually moderno and cagneys. if the ship, has and exclusive "haven" then you can have breakfast lunch and dinner in the haven restaurants.

remember, you also get the services of a 24 hr on call butler, as well as the services of a concierge. you also get cabin steward twice a day rather than once.

there is an option, where you dont have to accept the drink package or the dining package. the cost for extra wi-fi minutes is minimal if you want them.

even with $50 off shore excursions, we hire taxi's at almost every port. turns out much cheaper (even with the $50 discount) 

by the way, cabins in a "suite" or haven are essentially similar, the difference being access to the haven area

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

ysolde.

if youre booked into suite (not a club balcony) or a haven you can eat breakfast and lunch at the specially designated restaurants every day of your cruise. usually moderno and cagneys. if the ship, has and exclusive "haven" then you can have breakfast lunch and dinner in the haven restaurants.

remember, you also get the services of a 24 hr on call butler, as well as the services of a concierge. you also get cabin steward twice a day rather than once.

there is an option, where you dont have to accept the drink package or the dining package. the cost for extra wi-fi minutes is minimal if you want them.

even with $50 off shore excursions, we hire taxi's at almost every port. turns out much cheaper (even with the $50 discount) 

by the way, cabins in a "suite" or haven are essentially similar, the difference being access to the haven area

We are sailing TA on Viva and went with a non-Haven suite (not a club balcony suite -- a full suite, just not in the Haven), since the reviews of the Haven on Viva have been less than enthusiastic.  We do have access to the concierge and butler.  The concierge should be nice.  The butler, less so.

I am well aware we don't have to accept the drinks package or the dining package.  Given that the beverage options without a soda package are less than what I got in my college dorm (which was a pretty basic set-up), I think this says it all about the current cruise experience.

DH and I enjoy a bit of variety in our food.  Depriving ourselves on a 16-day TA, knowing the better food options are in the specialty dining venues seems like biting our own noses.

We always end up purchasing the extra wi-fi minutes.

It has turned out to be difficult for us, post-Covid, to hire outside excursions.  I have a mobility impairment and use a small, collapsible wheelchair to get around.  I can get into taxis, cars, buses, etc.  Never had an issue prior to Covid.  On our first cruise after Covid, when there were few excursions on NCL, we made arrangements with private excursions more than a year and a half in advance.  Corresponded with the excursion owners personally, back and forth, several times.  Paid our money.  Were assured the wheelchair was not an issue.  Were even told. they had a close family member who used a wheelchair and they completely understood.  Of course, this was almost two years out, when Europe was desperate for tourist money.  The day before the first of our excursions, I received an e-mail.  DH was welcome; I was not.  My money was being refunded. DH was livid.  He said he was not leaving me alone in our cabin for six to eight hours while he went on an excursion of the south of France the next day and tried to determine whether there was any way I would be welcome in Barcelona.  Anyway, forget Barcelona.  They were lying to us.  We had visited several times, and few cities, even in the US, were as accessible.  I e-mailed them and told them DH would not be joining the private excursion.  We did not even try finding taxis in those ports.  Sometimes, you just feel entirely defeated.

1 hour ago, ysolde said:

The day before the first of our excursions, I received an e-mail.  DH was welcome; I was not.  My money was being refunded. DH was livid.

Wow, were you given any reason for the about-face on the wheelchair? Seems odd they would assure you it would be no problem, then go back on their word at the last minute. That's terrible!

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, were you given any reason for the about-face on the wheelchair? Seems odd they would assure you it would be no problem, then go back on their word at the last minute. That's terrible!

Yes.  They were no longer able to accommodate the wheelchair. It was shocking, given all the assurances they had given us.  At that point, what can you say?  We have had much better experiences with excursions booked directly with the cruise lines that specifically say they will accommodate wheelchair users who can step onto the bus, etc.  We have done this on Regent and Royal and it has gone from OK to quite well.  This is what we will stick to in the future.  No private tours (and certainly no taxis) for us.

Edited by ysolde
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IAcruising said:

Uh, no. Not even remotely close.

Business class airfare to Europe for two people, then back in economy from SJU in December (we will probably be doing this trip on points, so will probably be flying back in "Caribbean Business Class" and First Class too).  Anyhow, add in the cost of Business class airfare to the cost of Viva's non-Haven suite class on this fare, add in the specialty dining, the soda package, the specialty coffee and tea package, the wifi, etc. and Regent looks quite reasonably priced.  I should know.  DH and I were on a Voyager TA in April, will be on a Splendor Caribbean in February, will be on a Voyager Brazilian journey that then crosses the Atlantic in March, and will be spending the holidays 2025 on a Christmas/New Year's cruise in the Caribbean on Mariner (our longest cruise to date -- 22 days!).  It's a different way to go about it but the way we cruise we find real value for money on Regent.  It's also just a bit more relaxing overall.  Obviously opinions vary on this quite a bit.  It's just where we have landed of late, and why.

ETA: And btw I think a lot of it for us has been the realization that international business class airfare has increased in price, especially if we want to fly on certain airlines.  I think this is where taking a cruise that includes business air becomes a value proposition (though you may need to consider deviation to make scheduling flights a bit easier).  I think for travelers who are younger or are not quite as far away from where they may be traveling to as we are (we are often traveling fourteen hours or longer to reach our cruise), then the business class airfare may not be as determinative a factor as it is for us.

Edited by ysolde

17 hours ago, ysolde said:

I suspect that they are providing this specialty dining at breakfast and lunch because, apparently, the buffet is notoriously small on this class of ship and they are looking at ways to ease overcrowding. 

"invitations" to breakfast and lunch for suite guests have been extended since before forever on all classes of NCL ships. it has nothing to do with prima class. also, it isn't really specialty dining... you'll find nothing that is on the restaurant's regular menu is served for breakfast or lunch. it is usually the haven menu served to you in a different venue. as for buffet overcrowding, no, that's not why they do it. the local, the MDRs and the indulge food hall siphon people away from the buffet.

12 hours ago, complawyer said:

if the ship, has and exclusive "haven" then you can have breakfast lunch and dinner in the haven restaurants.

i've seen a lot of things, but i haven't seen this.

there may be an exception i'm unaware of, but generally, on ships with an actual haven restaurant, it is exclusively for haven guests... no suite guest interlopers. they take their morning and afternoon meals in specialty dining restaurants, typically moderno and cagney's. on ships without a haven restaurant, such as the jewel class ships, haven guests and suite guests do indeed dine together for breakfast and lunch, again, typically, in moderno and cagney's.

Reading this topic makes me wonder if maybe I shouldn't be so ridiculously excited over my €941 balcony on my upcoming TA (Rome-NY, Gem, Dec 4-19) 😁 (Booked around 60 days before sailing, Solo traveller. Around 200 more than an inside, I think 170 more than OV. Added an extra CN and got one more speciality dinner, so kind of a no-brainer. Or so I thought...)

Well, it's my first balcony and possibly my last so I m going to enjoy it. And use it - as in at least stepping out and staying a few minutes every day. 😁 A mug of hot chocolate would be nice...

(An by the way, balcony price has now gone UP almost €400. Did not expect that!)