When ‘Free at Sea’ is not Free at At Sea

PollyMurg

Why d

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

But why should NCL pay taxes for you?

It’s more of a question of why don’t NCL include the taxes in the quoted all inclusive price, the same way that msc, Costa, royal caribbean, p&o, princess, Holland America, Fred Olsen and Carnival do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davidcraig2003 said:

Why d

It’s more of a question of why don’t NCL include the taxes in the quoted all inclusive price, the same way that msc, Costa, royal caribbean, p&o, princess, Holland America, Fred Olsen and Carnival do?

That would make sense and less of a hit in the pocket if they did.

Or they could let their customers know at the booking and payment process that they may be liable for added vat and port taxes even if all inclusive.

If they did that then customers can budget for it.

They started this on 25th Sept without letting passengers know. As far as everyone was aware taxes were included like other cruise lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, davidcraig2003 said:

Why d

Are  you saying NCL should increase the price of the drink packages to cover the VAT?

How does NCL increase those prices retroactively? 

Should that increase be a fixed amount or proportional to the drinks consumed?

1 minute ago, Alba1 said:

Or they could let their customers know at the booking and payment process that they may be liable for added vat and port taxes even if all inclusive.

They started this on 25th Sept without letting passengers know. As far as everyone was aware taxes were included like other cruise lines.

These cruises were booked and paid for several months ago.  

Do cruise lines include such a statement about taxes being applied to drinks in certain us ports, ie texas?

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

These cruises were booked and paid for several months ago.  

Do cruise lines include such a statement about taxes being applied to drinks in certain us ports, ie texas?

Rocket.

The 20% added Vat charge started on NCL Epic on 25th Sep leaving Marseille visiting France an Italy.  Apparently the Epic is first ship they have done this on. We booked the cruise 2 weeks before departure and at no stage were made aware of this until onboard the ship.

Not aware of any NCL ships based in USA they have tried this extra VAT charge on. If they did I would expect a full blown mutiny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alba1 said:

It was a NCL ship that we were on when the 20% vat was introduced.

NCL did not inform the passengers before hand and we only found out about it once onboard. Introduced it by stealth.

Long lines at guest services with complaining passengers.

Why its 20% most of the crew didn't even know.

We were told it was only the Epic that these charges have been introduced from 25th Sep so would be interesting to see if any other NCL ships have had the 20% vat introduced.

We are booked with P and O in November so I will contact them to see if they are introducing this vat charge or not.

I can't tell if you're trying to make a point or if you're just throwing anything and everything out there with no thought, rhyme, or reason to see if you get lucky.

Doesn't matter that you were on an NCL ship when it was introduced. This TAX, like all others, is mandated by the government. If you base your anger at your location instead of the taxing authority, then it is this type of cluelessness that allows the government to get away with overtaxation.

Sorry, but it is NCL's job to ensure that you have a safe time on your cruise. They aren't responsible for explaining government taxation to you.

Line up all you want, nothing that they can do about it. You might as well complain to guest services about your cable tv bill at home.

8 minutes ago, Alba1 said:

Actually makes no sense at all and is not less of a hit. Your way you pay the inclusive price of 6. The current way has you pay the inclusive price of 5 plus a tax of 1. Either way 6=6. You should WANT to know exactly what you are being taxed. When the government is taking your money, it should never ever be hidden from you.

They DO let their customers know at the booking and payment process. The fact that you are responsible for the VAT is mentioned in the T&C of the Free at Sea drink package. Not just once, but TWICE. You didn't read it? Blame the mirror.

2 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

I can't tell if you're trying to make a point or if you're just throwing anything and everything out there with no thought, rhyme, or reason to see if you get lucky.

Doesn't matter that you were on an NCL ship when it was introduced. This TAX, like all others, is mandated by the government. If you base your anger at your location instead of the taxing authority, then it is this type of cluelessness that allows the government to get away with overtaxation.

Sorry, but it is NCL's job to ensure that you have a safe time on your cruise. They aren't responsible for explaining government taxation to you.

Line up all you want, nothing that they can do about it. You might as well complain to guest services about your cable tv bill at home.

Actually makes no sense at all and is not less of a hit. Your way you pay the inclusive price of 6. The current way has you pay the inclusive price of 5 plus a tax of 1. Either way 6=6. You should WANT to know exactly what you are being taxed. When the government is taking your money, it should never ever be hidden from you.

They DO let their customers know at the booking and payment process. The fact that you are responsible for the VAT is mentioned in the T&C of the Free at Sea drink package. Not just once, but TWICE. You didn't read it? Blame the mirror.

Nothing on booking form or final invoice about extra VAT charges. At final invoice it say taxes included.

Well aware of terms and conditions we are not daft.

This was our sixth cruise and the first cruise this has ever happened on.

We were aware of a possible 10% tax if in Spanish waters but were not near Spanish waters.  The cruise was France and Italy.

There is nothing about a 20% tax or the reason for it online or otherwise.

Along with all the other passengers on board we were not aware of this 20% tax.

As previously stated passengers that were on the ship the week before were not charged this 20% tax but were then charged it on their 2nd week of the cruise without being told.

Still not heard of any other NCL ships in Europe introducing this 20% charge or other any cruise lines. It just seems to be NCL Epic.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alba1 said:

Well aware of terms and conditions we are not daft.

You claim to be "well aware" of a document that mentions the VAT not once, but twice and you're still surprised? I agree, you aren't daft, this is purposeful ignorance.

Nothing online you say? Have you checked the website of the taxing authority for each country? (You don't have to answer, I know you didn't)

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, HowardK said:

due to the alcohol and lack of sleep I became ill at the end of the cruise and had to go to urgent care at home .

Lack of sleep and alcohol?  Couldn't it have been something else?  (like being packed into ship/plane/airport/terminal with hundreds of disease carrying humans?)  I know people want to blame alcohol for all human evils, but I doubt that anybody can back that up.

55 minutes ago, Alba1 said:

Rocket.

The 20% added Vat charge started on NCL Epic on 25th Sep leaving Marseille visiting France an Italy.  Apparently the Epic is first ship they have done this on. We booked the cruise 2 weeks before departure and at no stage were made aware of this until onboard the ship.

Not aware of any NCL ships based in USA they have tried this extra VAT charge on. If they did I would expect a full blown mutiny.

I wasn't referring to VAT on US based cruises. It's well known that certain states do tax beverages sold while in their jurisdictions.  Texas for example.  

4 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

You claim to be "well aware" of a document that mentions the VAT not once, but twice and you're still surprised? I agree, you aren't daft, this is purposeful ignorance.

Nothing online you say? Have you checked the website of the taxing authority for each country? (You don't have to answer, I know you didn't)

Yes I have checked onl7nw and otherwise along with probably all the other passengers that were on board that week.

Nothing about 20% vat tax for France or Italy at sea or in Port on line or otherwise.

If there is show me. 

I just went on to check and book the Epic for next week to see what ot says and went through the full process to the end. It still says taxes included. Hee haw (Scottish saying) about any 20% extra charge on your all inclusive drinks.

Nothing about why one ship  in NCL, The Epic applying 20 tax and no other ship in the fleet Europe.

If there show me. 

Maybe they are trying it on the Epic to see the reaction and then spread it across the fleet.

If any other ship on any other cruise line are applying 20% added tax in Europe then show me.

I really can't see why you are defending this stealth tax unless you secretly work for the cruise line

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Lack of sleep and alcohol?  Couldn't it have been something else?  (like being packed into ship/plane/airport/terminal with hundreds of disease carrying humans?)  I know people want to blame alcohol for all human evils, but I doubt that anybody can back that up.

Could have been due to being packed on the ship with others not sleeping and having too much alcohol themselves, which wears down the immune system.

For my return to cruising next year, I am seriously considering having them waive the drink package for me. 

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wasn't referring to VAT on US based cruises. It's well known that certain states do tax beverages sold while in their jurisdictions.  Texas for example.  

We did a carribean cruise 4 years ago with Royal Carribean in the Carribean. Hee Haw, (Scottish saying which mean no )taxes applied to all inclusive drinks.

We are planning on doing a 2024 cruise taking in New Orleans etc and surrounding area. Is there an extra tax charge for cruises around that area?

33 minutes ago, Alba1 said:

We did a carribean cruise 4 years ago with Royal Carribean in the Carribean. Hee Haw, (Scottish saying which mean no )taxes applied to all inclusive drinks.

We are planning on doing a 2024 cruise taking in New Orleans etc and surrounding area. Is there an extra tax charge for cruises around that area?

Yes there is a port tax in NOLA, and it applies for up to 6 hours until you pass the mouth of the Mississippi.  And if you are up at 11 PM on return, it will come back as you enter the river.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Alba1 said:

Yes I have checked onl7nw and otherwise along with probably all the other passengers that were on board that week.

Nothing about 20% vat tax for France or Italy at sea or in Port on line or otherwise.

If there is show me. 

I just went on to check and book the Epic for next week to see what ot says and went through the full process to the end. It still says taxes included. Hee haw (Scottish saying) about any 20% extra charge on your all inclusive drinks.

Nothing about why one ship  in NCL, The Epic applying 20 tax and no other ship in the fleet Europe.

If there show me. 

Maybe they are trying it on the Epic to see the reaction and then spread it across the fleet.

If any other ship on any other cruise line are applying 20% added tax in Europe then show me.

I really can't see why you are defending this stealth tax unless you secretly work for the cruise line

See post #554 and #556.

A thought for consideration. How do would NCL tax "unlimited drinks?"  Should they assume 10 per day, 15, 20, 25?  In fact they could assume 30, add the tax, then roll out some higher up front daily prices, knowing they are scamming  the customer.

And drink menu's.  They would need new ones, with new prices for a-la-cart.  Current drink pkg sets limit at $15.  Add 20% and most of the drinks go above $15.  Then you have customers paying more much more, and getting much less.

By adding per drink, NCL is letting you, the customer know that is was a POLITICAL change causing the increase.  This allows them to keep their standardized pricing across the fleet regardless of home port for each cruise. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Yes there is a port tax in NOLA, and it applies for up to 6 hours until you pass the mouth of the Mississippi.  And if you are up at 11 PM on return, it will come back as you enter the river.

Thank you.

We are really looking forward to visiting this area. 👍

44 minutes ago, Alba1 said:

Texas can be even more restrictive.  It's been reliably reported that only certain liquors can be served until out of texas waters.  The ones that can be served are those which Texas sales taxes have been applied.  After departing Texas waters, the full liquor packages can be served.

BTW, if you buy liquor bottles (say a bottle of tequilla in Mexico or in the onboard duty free shop) on a cruise that sales to/from Texas, Texas will try to collect their sales tax on those bottles upon your return.  

30 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Texas can be even more restrictive.  It's been reliably reported that only certain liquors can be served until out of texas waters.  The ones that can be served are those which Texas sales taxes have been applied.  After departing Texas waters, the full liquor packages can be served.

BTW, if you buy liquor bottles (say a bottle of tequilla in Mexico or in the onboard duty free shop) on a cruise that sales to/from Texas, Texas will try to collect their sales tax on those bottles upon your return.  

Thanks for that. Will take note.. 👍

1 hour ago, davidcraig2003 said:

And yet noones explains why only NCL apply this tax to consumers when other cruise lines don’t.

Not saying other lines don’t pay it, but it’s part of the cost of doing business. In europe such costs should be included in the sales price and not added afterwards 

Completely agree!

3 hours ago, Alba1 said:

If there is show me. 

If there show me. 

"Show me, show me, show me...while you may think this is clever, it merely demonstrates the fact that you're either too lazy or simply unable to find information on your own.

Here are the very terms and conditions that you claimed to be very familiar with:

tc.jpg.3e995a6c93885faa30f56e7ca9703d5e.jpg

3 hours ago, Alba1 said:

Defending the tax? Hardly. I've said nothing in favor or in support of the tax. I'm just pointing out that your alleged anger is misdirected as you somehow seem to believe that NCL is taxing you. 

I know that you only recently created this new screen name so you could argue, but is your argument really so weak that you've dropped to the "you must be an employee" diversion? By your logic, can we all assume that the only reason for your posts is that you secretly work for NCL's competition?

I’m trying to figure out how much you all drink, resulting in a tax bill breaking you after paying several thousands of dollars on a vacation. On a port-intensive cruise like the Med, I’m guessing I’ll be looking at averaging maybe $10/day - or $100, give or take, for my planned trip next year.