Another Live from thread - Queen Victoria Greek Islands

rakkor

We're currently sat on the balcony, and the internet is OK, perfectly adequate for general internetty stuff - Signal strength is Weak/Medium on my Chromebook - Again this is in 4098 so YMMV

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

I've been suffering with a cold for the last couple of days, a proper cold with sore throat and wheezy chest. I've been really worried it's going to be COVID and it's causing me a dilemna, what do I do if I test positive, and what happens to you? Do you get chucked off the ship, there aren't any quarantine cabins any more. Any way we went into Cadiz and got some Spanish Lemsip, and some rapid flow tests  the bad news is the Lemsip tastes awful, the good news is I'm negative. So now I'm free to spread my germs around the ship

IMG_20231004_110935.thumb.jpg.69036e6389b1c4998715e37b9753d8c8.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, rakkor said:

I've been suffering with a cold for the last couple of days, a proper cold with sore throat and wheezy chest. I've been really worried it's going to be COVID and it's causing me a dilemna, what do I do if I test positive, and what happens to you? Do you get chucked off the ship, there aren't any quarantine cabins any more. Any way we went into Cadiz and got some Spanish Lemsip, and some rapid flow tests  the bad news is the Lemsip tastes awful, the good news is I'm negative. So now I'm free to spread my germs around the ship

What a relief for you. In May, I was simply confined to the cabin, my husband was allowed out, but not to eat or drink, for some inexplicable reason. He had to do daily tests, but didn’t catch it.

49 minutes ago, rakkor said:

The ship doesn’t provide Covid tests? Feel better and thanks for the updates. 

1 minute ago, NE John said:

The ship doesn’t provide Covid tests? Feel better and thanks for the updates. 

I'm sure they will but sometimes it's better to know the answer before you ask the question!

Sorry you're feeling poorly @rakkor, hope you're feeling better soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say that taking a few lateral flow kits with you when travelling - cruising or otherwise - is a good idea. They don't take much space and costs around £2 each in supermarkets (bit cheaper in Boots). You can now get Lateral Flow tests for influenza, same process. It just rules other things out and helps people to make informed decisions which can reduce infections to other people.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Out of interest, did you manage to get jabbed before the voyage started or are you too young?

I'm far too young, almost a callow youth - I had my flu jab a couple of weeks back

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I've posted yesterday's rather boring blog and today's Daily Programme https://blog.rakkor.uk

I really didn't do much yesterday, as I'm full of the Flu which is a surprise since the flu jab is the one inoculation I've had this year, I can only assume that this strain wasn't on the list that they chose the jab from. I'm aching all over and the Spanish Lemsip doesn't seem to do anything plus there isn't anything for a cold in the ships shop. Jane had the bright idea of getting dome lemon and honey at breakfast, so I've just had a homemade Lemsip, so let's see how I fare with that

• Like 1

Captain Hoyt has just announced an itinerary change as part of his 12 o'clock announcement - apparently Mykonos is going to be too windy to tender safely so we will be going to Crete instead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

I really didn't do much yesterday, as I'm full of the Flu which is a surprise since the flu jab is the one inoculation I've had this year, I can only assume that this strain wasn't on the list that they chose the jab from.

Unlikely that the vaccine failed, though it is possible. But are you sure it was influenza as opposed to a heavy cold? What I'm seeing is that during the pandemic a lot of people didn't get the usual seasonal cold and flu seasons and so now it's over, colds and RSV are really hitting home. People tend to merge this altogether (many haven't heard of RSV), but colds, flu and RSV are three very different viral conditions. My favoured definition of flu is "when you can see a £50 note fluttering around your garden and you don't give a damn". Flu comes on sudden, hit you like a train, and you get chills, fever and don't feel like eating. If you are sneezing and have a stuffy nose that's a cold. Paracetemol (Lemsip) works best on flus due to the moderation of the temperature fluctuations and body aches, but can have some mild benefits on colds (improved breathing). Colds don't really respond to much, though things like cough sweets can make you more comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rakkor said:

It could be a cold, but it just feels worse than that, washed out, aching all over etc. But then  again I am a bloke so you never know

Dreaded Man Flu! (Female version: a bit of a cold). Body aches can go with colds, but it tends to a nuisance rather than confined to bed, aching all over, which is what influenza gives. Paracetemol or ibuprofen can help with body aches. Aches should start to fade in 48 hours or so from first symptoms. Plenty of liquids, lots of sleep / rest, light exercise, bit of fresh air should all help.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for the update, I hope that's not too much of a disappointment. I can imagine that Mykonos would have been one of the new ports for people. 

Yes, I suspect that, for those that haven’t been to Crete, this is a change for the better, but most people probably have.

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

It could be a cold, but it just feels worse than that, washed out, aching all over etc. But then again I am a bloke so you never know

I hope you don't mind me saying, but the symptoms you are describing sound exactly like Covid (my husband and myself had it 6 weeks ago)

15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I hope you don't mind me saying, but the symptoms you are describing sound exactly like Covid (my husband and myself had it 6 weeks ago)

That was my first thought, which was why we bought a test kit in Cadiz which thankfully came back negative.

47 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, I suspect that, for those that haven’t been to Crete, this is a change for the better, but most people probably have.

This will be out second visit to Crete, both times because of a rearranged schedule, the last time was because we couldn't get into Ephesus because of the abortive coup attempt in Turkey

1 minute ago, rakkor said:

This will be out second visit to Crete, both times because of a rearranged schedule, the last time was because we couldn't get into Ephesus because of the abortive coup attempt in Turkey

I think I might have been on that cruise. We also went to Sarande, actually instead of Mykonos.