Another Live from thread - Queen Victoria Greek Islands

rakkor

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from rakkor! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Upon return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

rakkor was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I shall post about our current QV cruise here. It was nice to get back on board and head off to what is hopefully a nice  warm Mediterranean cruise out to the Greek Islands and back - Embarkations today was uneventful unlike Roy's biblical QM2 exploits. We were through security and on board in less than an hour, all very boring. I'll also be updating my blog (hopefully daily) which can be found at https://blog.rakkor.uk

• Like 11

We've really got a move on overnight, the Navigation screen on the TV is showing us somewhere south of the Bay of Bengal - A quick look out of the balcony shows that it isn't the case, it's a bit chilly and murky off the French coast at Brest.

IMG_20231002_070808_hdr2.thumb.jpg.27090f53b92fb9c676ab9533f448f229.jpg

• Haha 9

53 minutes ago, rakkor said:

We've really got a move on overnight, the Navigation screen on the TV is showing us somewhere south of the Bay of Bengal - A quick look out of the balcony shows that it isn't the case, it's a bit chilly and murky off the French coast at Brest.

IMG_20231002_070808_hdr2.thumb.jpg.27090f53b92fb9c676ab9533f448f229.jpg

I had a thread in the summer complaining that the QV navigation channel didn’t give enough information, but at least it always had us in roughly the right place.

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I had a thread in the summer complaining that the QV navigation channel didn’t give enough information, but at least it always had us in roughly the right place.

The current info page is quite simply the least informative I have seen. Wind speed is actually across deck and direction is ° from the bow.

• Like 1

Very good, and it looks smart on my screen. I do like to read these Programmes, even if I'm not on board. I'm kind of surprised that Cunard goes to some length to not broadcast them to the whole world since they are to my mind major selling pieces for the line.

Out of interest, what was your technical solution here? I take it you didn't get Mr. Amazon to drone in a travel scanner to the Bay of Biscay? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Very good, and it looks smart on my screen. I do like to read these Programmes, even if I'm not on board. I'm kind of surprised that Cunard goes to some length to not broadcast them to the whole world since they are to my mind major selling pieces for the line.

Out of interest, what was your technical solution here? I take it you didn't get Mr. Amazon to drone in a travel scanner to the Bay of Biscay? 

The Daily Programme is made up of 6 pages in the pdf viewer and It was a matter of right clicking on each page and saving as a png - you have to save all six - then it's just a matter of using an online png2pdf converter - a bit of a faff, but it works and it means I can upload each day easily - I tried to scan at home when they first changed format and my scanner doesn't like the skinny format

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, rakkor said:

I finally figured out how to make a pdf of the Daily Program, so I shall be posting them on my blog - for this cruise they can be found HERE in my Blog

Thanks to @rafinmd @Pushpit & @D&N for the inspiration

Enjoying the blog posts Rakkor and you’ve made my day with posting the daily programmes! Getting me excited for QV’s 20th october cruise! I hope you both are having a lovely time! 

@rakkor could I ask to see the full  daily programme for embarkation day please? (If not too much trouble of course!)  

Today's Daily Programme has been uploaded (LINK) to my blog. I was going to make them all inserts into the page, but I reckon once the page is populated it will be very slow to load, so I've made it so only the current Daily Programme is an insert, all others are links

@aday10 It took me  a while to figure out how to capture the files so I never got around to doing that one - I'll photograph it, the quality wont be great though

I am liking the new world of Cunard Internet - my Zoom call yesterday went without a hitch and blog posting has been seamless - It slowed a little at bed time last night when, I assume, everyone was checking their phones

Screenshot2023-10-0306_16_51.png.e4f230bc666ff88de67272d81736097b.png

• Like 3

It was the Black and White Gala night last night and we (certainly in PG) all got a welcome aboard glass of fizz, which Jane enjoyed and then when we got back down to the stateroom there was another half bottle, Pol Acker this time, and in place of my usual turn down chocolates was a little box of Charbonnel and Walker salted caramel truffles which weren't mine apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Today's Daily Programme has been uploaded (LINK) to my blog. I was going to make them all inserts into the page, but I reckon once the page is populated it will be very slow to load, so I've made it so only the current Daily Programme is an insert, all others are links

@aday10 It took me  a while to figure out how to capture the files so I never got around to doing that one - I'll photograph it, the quality wont be great though

Thank you very much @rakkor, do not worry about quality, just interested in seeing it! But you have done a brilliant job on the pdf files for the other programmes, well done! 

glad you enjoyed the gala night, yes I think I’ve heard those type of chocolates can be bad for me 🤔 I’m sure Jane is just doing what’s best for you of course! 

• Like 2

On the steamers on the Promenade deck it's toasty in the sun, on the starboard side people were wrapped in blankets. Inside it varies, It's been chilly in the Winter Garden when it's cold outside, in the PG dining room it's perfect for me, but some of the ladies, Jane included, were saying it was warm.

9 minutes ago, rakkor said:

On the steamers on the Promenade deck it's toasty in the sun, on the starboard side people were wrapped in blankets. Inside it varies, It's been chilly in the Winter Garden when it's cold outside, in the PG dining room it's perfect for me, but some of the ladies, Jane included, were saying it was warm.

That’s interesting, was on board last week and it was a bit cool in PG, most ladies had coverings on and even the maitre D thought it was a bit chilly, perhaps they’ve upped the temp. Wonderful team in there, made the trip.

• Like 1