Another Live from thread - Queen Victoria Greek Islands

rakkor

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

It could be a cold, but it just feels worse than that, washed out, aching all over etc. But then again I am a bloke so you never know

Besides what @Pushpit recommends, rest/sleep and plenty of fluids will help.  Hope you are better soon.  I'm enjoying your blog.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

That was my first thought, which was why we bought a test kit in Cadiz which thankfully came back negative.

Which is hopefully the case, although beware because sometimes the test has a delayed reaction and you are initially ill but don't test positive until a few days after the onset of symptoms - that is what happened to me, 3 or 4 days if I remember correctly. Anyway I hope that isn't the case for you but it might be worth doing another test.

• Like 3

I'm a  bit slow updating the blog today, myVoyage has been down since the itinerary change, some were saying it was down to people crashing the intranet trying to change their shore excursions, but that seems a bit far fetched to me - anyway both yesterday's blog and today's Daily Programme are now available at https;//blog.rakkor.uk

Edited by rakkor
sort the link out
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

I'm a  bit slow updating the blog today, myVoyage has been down since the itinerary change, some were saying it was down to people crashing the intranet trying to change their shore excursions, but that seems a bit far fetched to me - anyway both yesterday's blog and today's Daily Programme are now available at https;//blog.rakkor.uk

It is funny how our DW’s often have more fun without our engaging company…Your storytelling is spot on. 

No idea why, but that latest link always brings me back to this page.

I caught up with the blog through the browsers autocomplete. Interesting as usual!

I've always made our own lemsips. Crushing tablets with a spoon and adding orange, lemonade, honey and sometimes brandy. Suppose I should call it orangesip. We stir or swirl the cup to ensure all the paracetamol is mixed through as we drink.

A great thing for keeping sinuses clear is a little bottle called Neilmed. They sell sachets of mix for it, but we just add salt and bicarb of soda to warm water. I'm sure it would offer some relief without the bicarb if you could only get salt from dining room. Rinsing out the sinuses a couple of times a day makes things a bit more comfortable.

Thankfully we've only had a couple of colds in last 7 and a bit years so it doesn't get much use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D&N said:

No idea why, but that latest link always brings me back to this page.

I caught up with the blog through the browsers autocomplete. Interesting as usual!

Sorry it's a typo on my part  ";" instead of ":" in the URL should be https://blog.rakkor.uk

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

Latest post and Daily Programme uploaded https://blog.rakkor.uk

I was given one task this morning, do the laundry - I loaded it all correctly, set the correct settings and set it off. When I went back 40 minutes later the door light was still flashing and it hadn't started, I nudged the door and it started properly this time - soooo mad!

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 3

I'm on this cruise too. Enjoying being uncontactable on the sea days.

I'm right at the back of the ship and found the cabin vibration so bad the first couple of nights that I seriously contemplated trying to get some sleep on deck! It's calmed down a bit now we are in the Med and going slower. The Med weather has been glorious so far.

I have to recommend the freshly made pizza in the Lido. One of the best I have ever eaten.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

I'm right at the back of the ship and found the cabin vibration so bad the first couple of nights that I seriously contemplated trying to get some sleep on deck! It's calmed down a bit now we are in the Med and going slower.

That's interesting - can you give a hint as to where on the vessel you noticed this? I notice it in Britannia right by the rear windows, the salt cellar sometimes starts to limp off the table.

Otherwise it's good to know you are enjoying some autumnal sunshine.

59 minutes ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

I'm up on deck 8. The cabin steward had to put the bottles of water on a cloth to stop them moving across the worktop. 😄

At the end of deck 8 are five Queen Suite staterooms, plus the aft Balcony staterooms on the side, and a few Insides. Whereas in 4185, the aft most Balcony bar one on deck 4, I didn't really notice much a few months back. Vibrations do go in odd directions though.

8 hours ago, rakkor said:

Latest post and Daily Programme uploaded https://blog.rakkor.uk

I was given one task this morning, do the laundry - I loaded it all correctly, set the correct settings and set it off. When I went back 40 minutes later the door light was still flashing and it hadn't started, I nudged the door and it started properly this time - soooo mad!

It's worth waiting to check the wash cycle has actually started before leaving... not closing the washer door fully happens easily.

It's good to have slight seas even if it's been quite windy at times on this voyage. Good thunderstorm was visible yesterday evening but the ship was steady as a rock.

• Like 1

I started with the good intentions of photographing my dinner dishes,  and got as far as the asparagus appetizer

IMG_20231008_200116_hdr.thumb.jpg.3d5a5b119b2d9754d207f5ec923c82f3.jpg

The the tandoori lamb cutlets arrived and I promptly forgot about anything else

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, rakkor said:

I started with the good intentions of photographing my dinner dishes,  and got as far as the asparagus appetizer

IMG_20231008_200116_hdr.thumb.jpg.3d5a5b119b2d9754d207f5ec923c82f3.jpg

The the tandoori lamb cutlets arrived and I promptly forgot about anything else

Your priorities are entirely correct.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2023 at 10:30 AM, exlondoner said:

I was quite sad, because, although I’m a classicist, I usually find archaeological sites rather dull, but I really wanted to see Ephesus. Hey ho.

Ephesos? I don’t think the Artemis is still there . . .  For sights, I’d take Crete (assuming there’s an excursion to Knossos); but I sure would love a chance to walk about Delos while the ship is docked at Mykonos.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:09 AM, Wagtail adventures said:

I noticed the vibrations were very pronounced at the back of the Britannia Restaurant in September.  Maybe the propellers are not in pods like on the QM2? 

QV has pods just as QM2 & QE. We were right at stern deck 2 in Britainnia on last cday and vibration was neglible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Ephesos? I don’t think the Artemis is still there . . .  For sights, I’d take Crete (assuming there’s an excursion to Knossos); but I sure would love a chance to walk about Delos while the ship is docked at Mykonos.

But Ephesus is a significant classical site, which I had never visited, whereas I had been to Knossus a couple of times. And the guides were still peddling the same ahistorical rubbish they did when I visited as a sixth former. But I agree if you haven’t been, Knossus is a great substitute.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

But Ephesus is a significant classical site, which I had never visited,

Ephesus should be high on any traveler’s list. Plus, the Turkish tour guides (booked via Cunard) were excellent both there and Istanbul. Each passenger had each owns headphones so we can hear the guide while walking as a group thru these busy sites. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

But Ephesus is a significant classical site, which I had never visited, whereas I had been to Knossus a couple of times. And the guides were still peddling the same ahistorical rubbish they did when I visited as a sixth former. But I agree if you haven’t been, Knossus is a great substitute.

I didn’t mean to belittle Ephesos; I haven’t been to any of these sites, and would be happy with each of them. I’m not surprised to hear (from @NE John, #74) that the Turkish tour guides are very good, nor that what the ones at Knossos tell you is rubbish; probably get a better impression of what the place was like from Mary Renault’s The King Must Die (a great cruise read in any case, I should think, especially in the Aegean).