Formal Nights

mlsetc

25 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

In my eyes it is about respect of others and not wanting to make other people feel embarrassed or uncomfortable.

That's self insecurity issue.  The way people dress around you won't fix that.  You chose to wear your outfit, own it.  If anyone wants to dress up fine.  If anyone doesn't fine as well.  

That's the thing, cruising, based on the price and value, should be for everyone.  Not just the select who want to dress smart casually/formally all day, everyday as Cunard discriminates.  

25 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

it is something we can all do without needing to spend money or to do anything special.

That notion is out of touch with reality.  Clothes cost money.  If people are retired, like my parents, they don't even do smart casual anymore like they did when they had to work.  They walk around in jeans and t-shirts on a daily basis.  They would have to purchase outfits just to go to formal nights on their cruises.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

From the sound of your post, it sounds as though you'd feel uncomfortable unless you dress up to please the formalists in the crowd. Then by all means, drag along the formal clothing to please them. It'll make their dining experience more enjoyable.

On the other hand, half the crowd will dress to please themselves by dressing casually with some possibly even wearing shorts. 

It's your choice. Princess will allow just about anything lately. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree on one point.  My DH and I don’t dress nicely to please the “formalist crowd” or anyone else.  We like to look good for ourselves and each other.  We look good going to Home Depot!  

Some of us take pride in how we look and how we present ourselves to others.  Some people don’t care if they look good, so they don’t  even try.  It doesn’t bother us even a tiny little bit how other people dress.  What is nice though, is when we walk into the MDR, we always get smiles and compliments.  Totally worth the effort!  And, the way my DH looks at me is with a million bucks!

• Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

That's self insecurity issue.  Your dress won't fix that.  You chose to wear your outfit, own it.  If anyone wants to dress up fine.  If anyone doesn't fine as well.  

That's the thing, cruising, based on the price and value, should be for everyone.  Not just the select who want to dress smart casually/formally all day, everyday as Cunard discriminates.  

That notion is out of touch with reality.  Clothes cost money.  If people are retired, like my parents, they don't even do smart casual anymore like they did when they had to work.  They walk around in jeans and t-shirts on a daily basis.  They would have to purchase outfits just to go to formal nights on their cruises.

No they wouldn't. No-one has the dress up on formal nights. Smart casual would cost anyone on a cruise any extra. I am sure that almost everyone that can afford to cruise will have smart casual wear.  

22 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

That is the problem right there... the people that want to wear anything they want only think of themselves. Rather selfish IMO.

In your opinion it's selfish but in the opinions of many others on the ship they feel that why should they have to dress up to please others in the DR.

It's not necessary and serves no purpose other than to give some people a feeling of a fantasy evening for an hour or so.

If that's what your after then go for it, but just realize that Princess no longer will force people to join in your style of choosing. 

• Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
4 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

That's self insecurity issue.  Your dress won't fix that.  You chose to wear your outfit, own it.  If anyone wants to dress up fine.  If anyone doesn't fine as well.  

Not at all. I am someone with a solid sense of self confidence. I am a retired pilot... I have had to be secure in my own feelings all my working life. But I respect that others might not feel comfortable with me in my tracksuit or sports gear. That is why the guidelines exists... so everyone can dress to a similar standard and so no-one feels out of place.

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

In your opinion it's selfish but in the opinions of many others on the ship they feel that why should they have to dress up to please others in the DR.

It's not necessary and serves no purpose other than to give some people a feeling of a fantasy evening for an hour or so.

If that's what your after then go for it, but just realize that Princess no longer will force people to join in your style of choosing. 

Fantasy? Smart casual? I think it is you living in a world of fantasy if you think that smart casual gives people a sense of fantasy.

My style? You have no idea what my style is yet you make opinionated statements about me without knowing anything about me. FWIW... my style is smart casual... nothing more unless I fancy dressing up... which on some cruises I do and on some I don't.

Guest Snaxmuppet
15 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

<deleted>

Forgot my personal rule about not getting involved with anymore formal threads.  🤣

Someone has to put the other side... Sorry.

4 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

But I respect that others might not feel comfortable with me in my tracksuit or sports gear. That is why the guidelines exists... so everyone can dress to a similar standard and so no-one feels out of place.

I guess that's why RCCL, Celebrity, and most major mass market cruise lines dropped their dress suggestion enforcement--because because people felt out of place?

I feel out of place when people tell me what to wear.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree on one point.  My DH and I don’t dress nicely to please the “formalist crowd” or anyone else.  We like to look good for ourselves and each other.  We look good going to Home Depot!  

Some of us take pride in how we look and how we present ourselves to others.  Some people don’t care if they look good, so they don’t  even try.  It doesn’t bother us even a tiny little bit how other people dress.  What is nice though, is when we walk into the MDR, we always get smiles and compliments.  Totally worth the effort!  And, the way my DH looks at me is with a million bucks!

But that's your choice. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Just don't try to make others dress up in what you feel is appropriate for the cruise when Princess has finally accepted the fact that there are people who like to dress casually on their vacation. 

• Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

I guess that's why RCCL, Celebrity, and most major mass market cruise lines dropped their dress suggestion enforcement--because because people felt out of place?

I feel out of place when people tell me what to wear.

Well perhaps that is the issue then... you don't like being told. QED.

If you want to wear anything in the MDR then you can always cruise RCCL or Celebrity then if that is what you prefer. 

4 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Fantasy? Smart casual? I think it is you living in a world of fantasy if you think that smart casual gives people a sense of fantasy.

My style? You have no idea what my style is yet you make opinionated statements about me without knowing anything about me. FWIW... my style is smart casual... nothing more unless I fancy dressing up... which on some cruises I do and on some I don't.

Everyone has their own ideas of what a fantasy evening is. 

Princess has at least allowed us to now choose what it will be without that  mandatory dress style.

• Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Just don't try to make others dress up in what you feel is appropriate for the cruise when Princess has finally accepted the fact that there are people who like to dress casually on their vacation. 

But Princess hasn't accepted it. They still say Smart casual... it is just that people ignore it and by Princess's own admission, they don't want the confrontation. Doesn't mean they are happy with it.

Sure, it is their vacation too but that does not give them the right to do what they want. There are still both rules and conventions and out of respect for those that cruise Princess because of that they should be followed. It is all about respect. 

3 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

If you want to wear anything in the MDR then you can always cruise RCCL or Celebrity then if that is what you prefer. 

Why switch cruise lines when when Princess has joined the other cruise lines now having the same dress requirements? 

• Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, MissP22 said:

Why switch cruise lines when when Princess has joined the other cruise lines now having the same dress requirements? 

But they haven't. It is just that some people ignore it.

Just now, MissP22 said:

Please read my post one more time.  I said we do not care even a little bit what others wear.  So, I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth that are simply untrue.  

For some reason you get very upset and defensive when someone chooses to wear nice clothes or even attempt to look good and God forbid we should say that we do.  You want everyone to look like you.  You are far more judgmental than I will ever be.  I do not care how you look or how you dress.  If you’re happy with what you see in the mirror, then more power to you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

But Princess hasn't accepted it. They still say Smart casual... it is just that people ignore it and by Princess's own admission, they don't want the confrontation. Doesn't mean they are happy with it.

Sure, it is their vacation too but that does not give them the right to do what they want. There are still both rules and conventions and out of respect for those that cruise Princess because of that they should be followed. It is all about respect. 

Well maybe they haven't considering what they publish on their web site but from what I know, Princess is allowing people to dress as casually as they wish on any night, like it or not.  This provides a situation of fantasy for everyone. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Well maybe they haven't considering what they publish on their web site but from what I know, Princess is allowing people to dress as casually as they wish on any night, like it or not.  This provides a situation of fantasy for everyone. 

You just don't get it do you... they allow it not because they approve of it but because they don't want to create a scene and spoil it for everyone else.

Just because they allow it doesn't mean that they approve of it or that we should then all jump on the bandwagon and do the same. The guidelines are "smart casual"... not "what you can get away with"!

Edited by Snaxmuppet

56 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

with some possibly even wearing shorts.

If you read the OP it is a British Isles cruise and generally it is not that warm that you would want to wear shorts in the evening in an air conditioned environment.

I am not sure why whenever the word "formal" appears in the title of a post that the protagonists come out with the "same old same" all the time. The OP asked a simple question that was answered in the first reply - there is, in my opinion, no necessity to drag this out yet again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

For some reason you get very upset and defensive when someone chooses to wear nice clothes or even attempt to look good and God forbid we should say that we do.

Not at all. I couldn't care less what clothing others care to wear.

It's just nice that Princess has finally come to their senses about their "formal nights" by allowing everyone to choose what appeals to their own style. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Princess can't afford to turn away passengers based on their choice of dress.  There's a reason why CCL has kept Cunard small, the demand for that style of cruising is low.  RCCL has a fleet of over 20 and growing and the RC group's stock prices reflect that what they have to offer is the trend, which is why Princess is following suit.

19 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Since you are a pilot, passenger's dress doesn't affect the safety of the aircraft or other passengers' flight experience, so no point in trying to get passengers to dress up like in the early years of flight.

Dress as you wish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, david63 said:

If you read the OP it is a British Isles cruise and generally it is not that warm that you would want to wear shorts in the evening in an air conditioned environment.

I am not sure why whenever the word "formal" appears in the title of a post that the protagonists come out with the "same old same" all the time. The OP asked a simple question that was answered in the first reply - there is, in my opinion, no necessity to drag this out yet again.

It seems that there are always people that think anything should be acceptable in the MDR and always be people that disagree and want the guidelines to be followed. Until Princess remove the guidelines I will always feel that not to follow them without a good reason is disrespectful to those people that do follow them. 

6 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

You just don't get it do you... they allow it not because they approve of it but because they don't want to create a scene and spoil it for everyone else.

Oh, I get it alright. Yes, I'm almost sure that they've changed their policy due to many arguments at the door on formal evenings. That and the fact that Princess was the only remaining cruise line to publish a formal dress code while the other cruise lines had long abandoned it. 

It all boils down to them not wanting to lose $$$$$. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, SCX22 said:

Princess can't afford to turn away passengers based on their choice of dress.  There's a reason why CCL has kept Cunard small, the demand for that style of cruising is low.  RCCL has a fleet of over 20 and growing and the RC group's stock prices reflect that what they have to offer is the trend, which is why Princess is following suit.

Since you are a pilot, passenger's dress doesn't affect the safety of the aircraft or other passengers' flight experience, so no point in trying to get passengers to dress up like in the early years of flight.

Dress as you wish.

No one gets anyone to dress in any way at all when flying (except that it must be decent and legal!) so I have no idea what you are on about.