New to Windstar

Wayfairers

We’ve never sailed with Windstar but have wanted to for several years.  The sailing yachts are so beautiful.  I know there are also Windstar motor yachts, but, for now, we are interested in the those with sails.

Does it feel the same as a sailboat when you are under sail?  To me that is a feeling of peacefully and quietly gliding across the water.  The largest boat we have sailed on was around 35-40ft.

How often do you sail with the engines off?  Are you more likely to sail with engines off on certain itineraries or yachts?  

28 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

We’ve never sailed with Windstar but have wanted to for several years.  The sailing yachts are so beautiful.  I know there are also Windstar motor yachts, but, for now, we are interested in the those with sails.

Does it feel the same as a sailboat when you are under sail?  To me that is a feeling of peacefully and quietly gliding across the water.  The largest boat we have sailed on was around 35-40ft.

How often do you sail with the engines off?  Are you more likely to sail with engines off on certain itineraries or yachts?  

Some old info:

We have been 27 times with WS all but two with the sails. It all depends on weather, wind and where you are.  If WS has a tight schedule no, days at sea yes. Examples: Crossing the Pacific 2014 going to Tahiti, we sailed for two whole days because we were ahead of schedule and the  captain was so skilled we almost sailed into  the pier in Papeete.  That was incredible. October 22 we were under sail for 4 hours along the Amalfi Coast,  gorgeous, we sat on deck with our legs handing over,  lucky with perfect winds. Both trans Atlantics yes, once we sailed around the Azores. Days at sea in the Caribbean yes. Yes,  to a lot in the Caribbean. Tall Ships  going from Oslo to Amsterdam no and crossing the English Channel, no. What is great even with the motor the sails are up and used. The decks are big, you never feel crowded. Having sailed my entire life, we love the sailing ships because with their size it is surprising how " sailing " it is. We obviously love those ships. Happy Sailing. Give it a try. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Strenz said:

We have been 27 times with WS all but two with the sails. It all depends on weather, wind and where you are.  If WS has a tight schedule no, days at sea yes. Examples: Crossing the Pacific 2014 going to Tahiti, we sailed for two whole days because we were ahead of schedule and the  captain was so skilled we almost sailed into  the pier in Papeete.  That was incredible. October 22 we were under sail for 4 hours along the Amalfi Coast,  gorgeous, we sat on deck with our legs handing over,  lucky with perfect winds. Both trans Atlantics yes, once we sailed around the Azores. Days at sea in the Caribbean yes. Yes,  to a lot in the Caribbean. Tall Ships  going from Oslo to Amsterdam no and crossing the English Channel, no. What is great even with the motor the sails are up and used. The decks are big, you never feel crowded. Having sailed my entire life, we love the sailing ships because with their size it is surprising how " sailing " it is. We obviously love those ships. Happy Sailing. Give it a try. 

Thank you!  I’ll check itineraries for sea days and crossings.  Sounds like you’ve had some wonderful experiences …..looking forward to cruising with Windstar. 

Good Luck, WS obviously fits us and we have had wonderful travel opportunities with them. We use WS for trips and vacations for me to feel heat in January. Just got off the Pride for the most extraordinary trip to Greenland on the Pride. Good Luck Enjoy.

Two things....

First, Strenz...  How was your Greenland cruise? Any weather problems?  We were on the Iceland cruise immediately prior to Pride heading to Greenland and there were a number of weather related changes ("overhauls") of the itinerary.  Afterwards, I watched the various storms heading toward the Canadian Maritimes and was afraid that you might be hitting a lot of bad weather.

Second, the "Sailing" ships.  We are sailors, although mostly small Hobie-Cat size, also certified for renting up to 50 ft sailboats, so some background in actually sailing.  The Windstar Wind* ships are actually rather poor as "sailing ships".  They all have flat bottoms, suggesting they were not originally intended to be sail-powered, but were "re-designed" during the construction process.  With no keel, the ships are very limited as to how effective the sails are.  As I tell people, "The sails are for show, not for go."  On the other hand, they are beautiful and there just something about being on a ship with the sails up, even if they are not really doing much good.  Generally speaking, according to one of the captains, the best they expect to do on sails is a net benefit of about 1 - 2 knots.  The best I experienced was on the Wind Surf in the Med (from the Adriatic, rounding the boot of Italy, heading for Sicily.  We had perfect conditions with a 20 knot wind from behind so we were on a broad reach.  Captain shut off the engines and reported that we were making 5 knots on sails alone.  Then again, if you are wanting to get somewhere in a hurry, you shouldn't be on a sail boat anyway.

• Like 2

Hi,

We we're sorry to hear about your cruise and the nasty weather. We arrived in Reykjavik 3 days before the Greenland trip and had good weather, a bit cold but doable, I do not say that lightly for I am always cold, but I was prepared. 

Greenland was fabulous as was the cruise. We had calm sailing for two days to Greenland, Greenland great weather, first day out of Greenland calm, 2nd and 3 rd days rough, rain, lots of people sick, we had to skip St. Anthony's in Newfoundland the first stop. The rest of the way very good with good weather. Cold very, yes, windy yes. Once we started going down the St. Lawrence calm of course and it warmed up.   Capt. Pinzo fabulous, with the  weather he kept us up to date and what he was doing to keep everything a calm as possible: changes in speed, course etc. We also had superlative speakers,  a man and wife, both extraordinary photographers and experts on ice, glaciers, Arctic Birds, climate change, riveting talks. We had ice pilots from Greenland/Denmark and Newfoundland and one gave a great talk on ice piloting. Greenland was fascinating and so glad I learned things beforehand. Great trip/ cruise. 

I have sailed from small lightenings to my father's 41-48;ft boats, all over the New England coastline and in the Caribbean with him. When my husband and I first  saw the Windstar masts in 1989 in Marseilles we were wowed and in 1999 when we received a postcard, why who knows, of the Surf offering 2 for 1, we jumped on, pinched ourselves for 7 days, we were hooked. It fits who we are and what we like. I think the sails are more than for show, motors needed 90%+ of the time yes but still the sails have use with the motors so it was explained to us by a captain. That 10% without the motors is magical for us. As explained we have some great sails without the motors. You are so right if you need to be some place in a hurry you should not sail. Great comment. We are hoping for many more years on the sailing ships and we know they are aging and so are we. We really enjoyed the Star Pride but I think the   Mediterranean  Sea, the Caribbean Sea and the Lagoon of the Tahitian Islands screeches the sailing ships of Windstar. Happy Sailing to you. 

• Like 2

I'm very glad your cruise worked out well.  A lot of the officers changed between the two cruises and our Captain Rowden did a good job with the weather we were dealt.  Of the 6 ports we were supposed to stop at (if you include Reykjavik), we actually got to 3 of them and had a couple of days of rough weather.  Our last evening, the Amphora was only about 1/3 full and Compass Rose was practically deserted.  I suspect a lot of people were not feelin well.  Our biggest regret was that, mostly because of the pretty solid overcast, we never got a glimpse of the Northern Lights.

Yes, we have sailed Windstar 6 times previously, all on the Wind* ships.  There is something magical about a sailing ship in places like the Caribbean and especially French Polynesia.

Yes, the lights were beautiful. The Capt. put out an announcement around 2 am, everyone rushed to the open decks, eternally grateful they were so glorious. AmateurGo too bad you could not see them. Happy Sailing. Susanne

(Not Strenz, but.....)   Early in our cruise, not many people had "discovered" the Yacht Club yet, so it was not crowded.  Late in the week, when we were on board and not much was going on, it did get a bit crowded.  We were always able to find seats, but not the preferred seats with a good view.  The very last day, when waves were biggest and ship moving quite a bit, not so many in the YC: I think a lot of people were trying to minimize the movement they saw/felt.

Hi Misty Morning, On the Greenland trip there were 190 passengers. Given that it was cold and windy even when the skies were blue most people stayed inside on sea days, with the exception of going up/down the fjords and after Woody Point, Newfoundland down the St. Lawrence.  Yes, sometimes the Yacht Club midday was crowded and a chair with a view hard to find. The Compass Rose bar never seemed crowded. The lectures were in the lounge and about 100 people attended those, by the way fabulous. The games were in the Compass Rose with good attendance. The Amphora never seemed crowded but given 190 pax that is probably why, plus there were two other venus for dinner. Lunch was full but always could find a table for two, breakfast was never crowded for us because we are early birds even on vacation. We found the ship very comfortable, people curious and friendly, we loved our room sitting by the small balcony reading in the afternoon on sea days. I think it is a very comfortable ship,  well thought out small motor vessel. We totally understand that this was not a trip for sails.

We would go on her again in a minute but for us the Caribbean, the Med Sea and the Lagoon in Tahiti screams sails only. We love the size, we obviously have loved our experiences with Windstar. 

Happy Sailing

My husband is a Québecois we are passionate for that Province and have traveled extensively there. Our 3rd time on the St. Lawrence, 2 on the supply ships. Hope we can meet you on the Jan 6 th trip. 

Thanks Strenz for your info. Look forward to bump into you in January. Just like you we love the Windsurf itineraries in the Caribbean. Total relaxation. Very much looking forward to get back on our favorite island Anguilla which has now become a regular stop on the Yachtmans Caribbean. À bientôt

Hi, I am looking forward to beaching it, everyday. I swim in a pool on CC every morning year around but to day 26C in the air, 18c in the water, yummy in for 30 minutes at Skaket Beach Orleans, heaven. The latest we have swam on Cape Cod 10/19. Love the Surf. See you on board. My name is Susanne Strenz Thibault, my husband Gilles Thibault. À bientôt aussi. 

Funny that you mention that you went swimming today, my wife did the same at the lake (we live on a lake northwest of Quebec City) and the water was still close to 20C. Looks like our summer is now slipping into September and even October, climate change at work.  We are Pierre & Nathalie and we will likely be easy to spot as the only Francophones on board. Santé

Great, 3 Francophones, Gilles. We heard that it was 27 C in Hudson Bay. We saw lots of evidence in Greenland on climate change. Je comprend tout mais  parler  est difficile pour mois.J'aime beaucoup Québec. 

On 10/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, AmateurGO said:

As I tell people, "The sails are for show, not for go."

Perhaps consider Sea Cloud for a true sailing experience? On a transatlantic a few years back they reported something like 85% under sail. different experience though. DW and I will be sailing with them this time next year and will report back. 

2 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Perhaps consider Sea Cloud for a true sailing experience? On a transatlantic a few years back they reported something like 85% under sail. different experience though. DW and I will be sailing with them this time next year and will report back. 

Thanks for the info.  I haven’t heard of them - they look very interesting.  Please do report back after your cruise.

2 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Thanks for the info.  I haven’t heard of them - they look very interesting.  Please do report back after your cruise.

We first spotted Sea Cloud II in the Canaries - fabulous. Then, last year, while anchored off of the coast of Delos in a miserable little un-airconditioned Turkish gulet, the original Sea Cloud slid into view (see photo below). It was like a seeing a dream. We so wanted to just beg them to let us on board. BTW, that original Sea Cloud ship has a fascinating history (wikipedia) as a gift to Merriweather Post from E.F. Hutton.

But don't worry, we want to sail Windstar, too, that's why I'm keeping an eye on this channel! 😀

Sea Cloud.gif

• Like 1