Specialty Dining questions..

Warm-Water Diver

Booked our first MSC 4 day cruise coming up on the Seashore this November.

We usually sail NCL and purchase the Specialty Dining package but NCL has recently restricted the package too 1x1x1 meaning only 1 appetizer, 1 entree and 1 dessert. Anything additional including appetizers is not covered  and out of pocket. I enjoy several appetizers and usually forgo the dessert but that's not really allowed so we stopped booking them.

Few questions:

1) Seems MSC is restricted in that they choose the restaurants that you can visit (2 meal package shows Steak restaurant and Japanese hibachi) vs. NCL which allows you to pick "any" specialty venue on the ship?

2) Does MSC restrict specialty restaurants to the same 1x1x1 app, entree, dessert? If so I'm wondering if that is still worth the price of $35-$42 per meal?

3) Have not tried the free MDR so considering doing just that but have no experience on taste/quality/quantity?

1 minute ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

2) Does MSC restrict specialty restaurants to the same 1x1x1 app, entree, dessert? If so I'm wondering if that is still worth the price of $35-$42 per meal?

3) Have not tried the free MDR so considering doing just that but have no experience on taste/quality/quantity?

You will be enjoying the 'Experience' menu so if you look at sample menus online that is the section you are looking for, and yes it will be similarly restricted, you will not be able to order multiples of each course. 

In the MDR on recent US based sailings there have also been reports of charges for multiple entrées...

Also I've seen some posts that there is a "formal" night where Surf and Turf (steak and lobster) is served in the MDR.

Can anyone confirm if that is offered on a 4 day Bahama cruise on the Seashore? If so I'm considering booking the 2 meal package and opting for the MDR surf/turf for the last night..

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

You will be enjoying the 'Experience' menu so if you look at sample menus online that is the section you are looking for, and yes it will be similarly restricted, you will not be able to order multiples of each course. 

In the MDR on recent US based sailings there have also been reports of charges for multiple entrées...

Do you still get the 50% discount on other dishes ordered?

Thanks EM. I've only ever been into the speciality restaurants for the Diamond meal. I knew it was offered then, but didn't know if it also applied when you've booked the tasting menu. No help to the OP so, I'll not mention it 😉 

Edited by CruisingFox27

9 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks EM. I've only ever been into the speciality restaurants for the Diamond meal. I knew it was offered then, but didn't know if it also applied when you've booked the tasting menu. No help to the OP so, I'll not mention it 😉 

It is explained at the top of the menu extract I posted earlier:

image.thumb.png.2f08f3cf9f885102b9c832e3e5459e46.png

You get 50% off if it is replacing an item on the 'Experience' menu, but there are limitations, not all the main menu steaks can be reduced using that option for example.

Otherwise, you just pay full price for additional menu items you order.

I don't think this is related to the Diamond status meal.

Since it sounds like there won't be any decadent offerings like Filet Mignon or Lobster served in the MDR, I'm leaning towards purchasing the 2 meal package for Butcher's Cut and Kaito Teppenyaki. Is it true that using my package at Kaito for Teppenyaki requires an additional $10 per person?

33 minutes ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Since it sounds like there won't be any decadent offerings like Filet Mignon or Lobster served in the MDR, I'm leaning towards purchasing the 2 meal package for Butcher's Cut and Kaito Teppenyaki. Is it true that using my package at Kaito for Teppenyaki requires an additional $10 per person?

Yes. If you use one of your specialty dining credits at Teppanyaki, there is a $10 upcharge. If the ship you are going on has Hola! and/or Kaito Sushi, I recommend foregoing a dining package and just dining at those two places a la carte, as their pricing is very reasonable. Assuming you like Mexican food and sushi, that is.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they show the price on MSC for the 2 package meal and state it is only for Butcher's Cut and Kaito Teppenyaki, yet after you purchase that package, they will charge you an additional $10pp when you try to redeem the meal onboard and eat there? That makes 0 sense to me?

The only dining packages I've seen on MSC hasn't been specifically for Butcher's Cut and Teppenyaki, just for "two experiences," so what you're seeing may not be standard.

Of course, I've only seen it under the general information on the webpage because I'm not seeing any dining packages under the "manage my booking" section of their website. 

On 10/3/2023 at 12:57 PM, Warm-Water Diver said:

Wow extra charge for MDR?? That is crazy!

That's starting to become a standard if you want a second entree of specific dishes across multiple cruise lines. On our sailing we found the MDR to be better than the NCL MDR, same with the buffet. 

While onboard the Seaside we purchased the three meal Asian Kitchen package which at the time was $109 pp. We were 'restricted' to a specific menu for each but had more than enough food at all of the venues. The meals were all great with the Teppenyaki being the weakest. The version on NCL is better, but the MSC version is still good. Overall you may find that the specialty dining on NCL is stronger than MSC, it's one of the strongest points for NCL along with the entertainment. 

We did a food review of the Seaside that might give you a sense of what to expect on Seashore. We'll be sailing the Seashore in June 2024 with a group.  https://youtu.be/8DNLLqRyCiA

So MSC changed the specialty dining packages. I was on there a couple weeks ago looking at the Unlimited and it’s gone. And instead of any combination of any restaurant (except BC) it’s now a 3,4,5 meal pass and you are locked into one restaurant one dinner each. For example the 5 day is Kaito, Hola, Ocean, Butchers, and Tepp. One night each. And the lower the nights you lose the premium options like BC and Ocean. Jaimie is right. Hola and Kaito is much better just Ala carte and it seems to get the premiums you have to do the 4-5 nights. 

I should have bought the unlimited or the old 5 meal pass when I had it up. Never k OE when this stuff is gonna change!!

if I’m interpreting the new plans wrong let me know! 

1 hour ago, Slyfox16 said:

If you do the 3 meal package on the Meraviglia, which restaurants can you choose from?

Any of them. Though I would say it is foolish to waste a specialty dining credit at Hola! or Kaito Sushi, as the a la carte prices at those are so cheap. You get more bang for your buck using specialty dining credits at Butcher's Cut, Ocean Cay, and Teppenyaki.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, JamieLogical said:

Any of them. Though I would say it is foolish to waste a specialty dining credit at Hola! or Kaito Sushi, as the a la carte prices at those are so cheap. You get more bang for your buck using specialty dining credits at Butcher's Cut, Ocean Cay, and Teppenyaki.

Are  you sure?   If I book the 3 night package, it tells me what the restaurants are.. I cannot pick Butchers Block for 3 nights.   From the sounds of the post above yours, this is a new change.  The BB alone is $99 pp, and the 3 night package is $140. 

22 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Are  you sure?   If I book the 3 night package, it tells me what the restaurants are.. I cannot pick Butchers Block for 3 nights.   From the sounds of the post above yours, this is a new change.  The BB alone is $99 pp, and the 3 night package is $140. 

It does appear that the packages have changed since the last time I booked one. Now it seems that each package allows for one meal each at specific restaurants which are listed in the package details. I will say that even with the old format, you could only do Butcher's Cut once.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

It does appear that the packages have changed since the last time I booked one. Now it seems that each package allows for one meal each at specific restaurants which are listed in the package details. I will say that even with the old format, you could only do Butcher's Cut once.

Do they still refund an unused "restaurant"? We only did two and we got a prorated refund to the shipboard account for not using the third restaurant of the 3 restaurant package. (Top Sail Restaurant was just so much better)