The Retreat on Encore

jawlaw

I was able to grab a spot in The Retreat on our one sea day during a 7 night cruise, at a cost of $249.00.  

We will be sailing in the Med from Bodrum, Turkey to Limassol, Cyprus.

Worth it?  
Pros?  

Cons?

Thanks in advance!

I think you will have to try it to know for sure if it is worth it for you.  One thing you need to know before you sign up is that there is not a view of the sea from The Retreat.  Many Seabourn cruisers do not applaud The Retreat because it goes against the idea of Seabourn as an all inclusive cruise line.  I have read reports that others love it.  Do you love champagne? The Retreat offers an upgrade from the champagne served complimentary around the ship.  There might also be a different lunch served there.  You will also have your own cabana with a TV and lounging opportunities.  Only you will be able to determine (after you have tried it) if it is worth it for you.  

In our particular case, we want to support the all inclusive idea for Seabourn.  Also, we would not want to spend a cruise day without a view of the sea.  We don't drink much champagne and don't watch any TV while cruising.  Try The Retreat for one day and then you will know if it is right for you.  It will be money well spent.  

• Like 4

Although most posters on here don’t appear to like/approve of the retreat, I can only say that we have done two fourteen night cruises in the far east that we booked the full fourteen day package for the retreat and really enjoyed it. We also have it booked for a month for our sun cruise in February.

We pay $1400 for the 14 day package and receive a $700 credit for the Spa ( which we use frequently).

We appreciate having the sofa in the cabana when we want shade and having the nice sunbeds to lie in the sun and move between the two areas.

The nice bottle of champagne each day costs approx 50 dollars so we actually believe the package to be a bargain for us.

Service is excellent as there are 3 people working in the retreat.

Although there is an additional menu in the Retreat we actually go the Restaurant /Collanade for lunch so can’t comment on it.

As SLSD says you can only try it and see if it suits you 😀

• Thanks 1

We like the Retreat and always book it for the whole sailing.   We don’t enjoy the chair hog game and we are assured of a nice place in the shad or sun.   We have also enjoyed a sea view from the cabana.    There is a walkway between you and the sea but it’s never busy.   Enjoyed the champagne or we exchanged it for an excellent wine and we often used it at dinner.   Lunch was good and we had it everyday.

We spent yesterday at the Retreat and loved it. I had already booked it for another port day during our cruise but I called this morning to see if we could get it for our one sea day also, but it is fully booked. So if you think you might like it, book it ahead and you can always cancel.

I think others are right, you have to try it.  It’s a bit like the TKG. We tried it the first cruise on one of the smaller ships and found it noisy, not great food and felt pushed to upgrade the wine.  We did a later cruise on one of the larger ships and were urged to try it again. It was better but since we were a table of two it felt cramped. Nothing spectacular. On our last cruise before Venture we were again urged to give it a try.  Our impression was “Not bad but nothing special “. Others love it.  We are not champagne drinkers or spa users so the Retreat may well not be for us but we will give it a try if we sail on one of the larger ships again. Then we can judge.

Mom and i decided to pre-book the full 14 days for our transatlantic on Ovation next month.  We have tons of onboard credit and like knowing we can have shade while still being outside.  My late husband and I enjoyed The Retreat as a bit of a quiet spot on the ship without having to remain in our suite.

I anticipate we'll use our cabana as a bit of a daytime HQ while wandering off to do other things (lectures, trivia) while knowing we won't lose our shaded spot.  I know from past experience that as long as I get one of the cabanas that is on the side (and not the center ones) that the shutters open up for a sea view.  And it's a guaranteed patio table for lunch, which isn't always easy to come by on a nice transatlantic day.  Everything else is just a bonus - we don't really drink but will hopefully make friends with potential dinner partners who don't mine us bringing a bottle of premium champagne to share with the table.  

On 10/8/2023 at 12:45 PM, Dusko said:

I think others are right, you have to try it.  It’s a bit like the TKG. We tried it the first cruise on one of the smaller ships and found it noisy, not great food and felt pushed to upgrade the wine.  We did a later cruise on one of the larger ships and were urged to try it again. It was better but since we were a table of two it felt cramped. Nothing spectacular. On our last cruise before Venture we were again urged to give it a try.  Our impression was “Not bad but nothing special “. Others love it.  We are not champagne drinkers or spa users so the Retreat may well not be for us but we will give it a try if we sail on one of the larger ships again. Then we can judge.

Wow, does the Venture now have a TK Grill?    Last year they only had the Restaurant, the Colonnade, and a few items in the forward lounge.   We are on the Venture next year and will look forward to it.

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Wow, does the Venture now have a TK Grill?    Last year they only had the Restaurant, the Colonnade, and a few items in the forward lounge.   We are on the Venture next year and will look forward to it.

If you read the post it says, "On our last cruise before Venture......" 

21 hours ago, jenidallas said:

Mom and i decided to pre-book the full 14 days for our transatlantic on Ovation next month.  We have tons of onboard credit and like knowing we can have shade while still being outside.  My late husband and I enjoyed The Retreat as a bit of a quiet spot on the ship without having to remain in our suite.

I anticipate we'll use our cabana as a bit of a daytime HQ while wandering off to do other things (lectures, trivia) while knowing we won't lose our shaded spot.  I know from past experience that as long as I get one of the cabanas that is on the side (and not the center ones) that the shutters open up for a sea view.  And it's a guaranteed patio table for lunch, which isn't always easy to come by on a nice transatlantic day.  Everything else is just a bonus - we don't really drink but will hopefully make friends with potential dinner partners who don't mine us bringing a bottle of premium champagne to share with the table.  

Jeni, I think you and your mom will have a wonderful time.  I am so sorry to hear that your husband died.  My sincere condolences.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Jeni, I think you and your mom will have a wonderful time.  I am so sorry to hear that your husband died.  My sincere condolences.  

I also send condolences as I remember seeing your beautiful wedding photos from onboard Seabourn. Take care and you and your Mom have a wonderful cruise.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:05 AM, frantic36 said:

I also send condolences as I remember seeing your beautiful wedding photos from onboard Seabourn. Take care and you and your Mom have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you Julie and SLSD.  This would have been our fifth anniversary on this sailing.  I’m grateful for the time we had although it was unexpectedly short.  I’m glad my mom can come with me for this as she also loves Seabourn transatlantics!

• Like 1

@jenidallas sending you virtual hugs.

Enjoy the Retreat on Ovation as we did, even on the days it rained as the crew helped make it fun. We had champagne and caviar one day when it rained. We and one other couple braved the weather. We had a great rapport with the crew and we worked around the brief showers. We were in a hot climate area though so hot tub in the rain was fun.

For those of you who book for the whole cruise, is it generally at the price listed above, $100/day (with $50/day spa credit)? Or does it vary depending on the cruise? We are thinking about doing a transatlantic and would love to book the retreat for the whole thing, but with so many sea days I was worried it would be prohibitively expensive.

Every 14 night cruise segment I have seen/booked is $1419 dollars ( I tended to round it to $100 a day). You receive a rebate of $700 dollars in onboard spa credit.

I booked a 14 night cruise Retreat package today - it cost £1170.70

We liked the Retreat on Ovation and love the better lunch menu.  Go up as early as possible to select your cabana - depending on the weather, some are better than others.  For example, if it is a hot, humid day, you may want one one the cabanas on the side that have openings to the fresh air.

Also, while they do have TVs, TV coverage can be spotty.  We just got off 14 days in Alaska and we went 4 days with no live TV coverage which is important to us.  The upside is the internet wasn’t quite as crappy as recent cruises!

Is there a difference between the Retreat on the Encore vs Ovation?  I see positive comments on the Ovation Retreat but I have not seen positive comments on the Encore Retreat (unless I missed those)?

On our upcoming 18-day sailing on the Encore the price is a little over $ 1,800 so comes out to about 100 per day.  Since there are a lot of sea days on this one it may be worth it.

1 minute ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Is there a difference between the Retreat on the Encore vs Ovation?  I see positive comments on the Ovation Retreat but I have not seen positive comments on the Encore Retreat (unless I missed those)?

On our upcoming 18-day sailing on the Encore the price is a little over $ 1,800 so comes out to about 100 per day.  Since there are a lot of sea days on this one it may be worth it.

As far as I know they are the same. We went three days on our recent cruise on Encore and loved it, which is why I am exploring the cost of booking it for the whole time next time. 😊

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, Love dubai said:

We pay $1400 for the 14 day package and receive a $700 credit for the Spa ( which we use frequently).

@Love dubai question about this - not sure if you saw on the other thread about issues with reimbursement for prepaid spa, but on our most recent cruise we had trouble getting our prepaid spa appointments reimbursed and converted to use our onboard credit. When you have done this in the past, have you prebooked your spa or waited to do it on the ship? If you did it before was it a problem to apply the spa credit to it once you boarded? Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

43 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

@Love dubai question about this - not sure if you saw on the other thread about issues with reimbursement for prepaid spa, but on our most recent cruise we had trouble getting our prepaid spa appointments reimbursed and converted to use our onboard credit. When you have done this in the past, have you prebooked your spa or waited to do it on the ship? If you did it before was it a problem to apply the spa credit to it once you boarded? Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

I book my spa treatments when I first board the ship. Reason being that on booking 3 massages they offer a package that gives 10% off first, 20% off second and 30% off third. I use my Seabourn free 25 minutes combined with a 75 minute paid for first massage and then have two paid 100 minute massage. Any pre boarding offers are always only on port days. I like to choose when I have my massages and not be forced into booking specific days.

Also if you are a “good client” who obviously likes and spends money at the Spa, ask when you are booking what small freebies they can throw into your package ( usually have a free 25 minute facial plus a hair treatment thrown in ) 😀

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2023 at 4:21 PM, LMB01 said:

We liked the Retreat on Ovation and love the better lunch menu.  Go up as early as possible to select your cabana - depending on the weather, some are better than others.  For example, if it is a hot, humid day, you may want one one the cabanas on the side that have openings to the fresh air.

Also, while they do have TVs, TV coverage can be spotty.  We just got off 14 days in Alaska and we went 4 days with no live TV coverage which is important to us.  The upside is the internet wasn’t quite as crappy as recent cruises!

Am considering booking the Retreat for the entire cruise on my upcoming 14day SE Asia cruise on the Encore.   Can you reserve a specific cabana in advance before departure or is it first come, first served every day?