The Retreat on Encore

jawlaw

On our last cruise, it seemed like there were certain cabanas that were reserved for the same people each time we went up there. So if you reserve it for the whole time, I bet you can choose one on the first day and that will be yours for the duration (I don't know that for sure though). Honestly though we went three times and had three different cabanas and liked all of them, so I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Just now, Covepointcruiser said:

No, you can’t reserve a specific cabana.    We go up early, they open at 9:00 AM and select the one we like.  We all seem to have different favorites.

That’s strange that they wouldn’t let you.  We went up on the first day and reserved #10 for the duration of the sailing. Two others were already reserved/unavailable when we went up.

Hello. Seabourn Cruisers:

Does anyone have a menu for the retreat on the Encore? i am curious about the wine upgrade list? I would love it if  anyone has a copy of the drink menu that is offered in The Retreat. i would like to know about the "upgraded" wines offered.  Thank you

14 hours ago, chuckncole said:

Does anyone have a menu for the retreat on the Encore?

In addition to the menu posted by @Covepointcruiser if your next booking is on Encore then you should be able to access the menu through the Seabourn Source app.  If you click on “view more” for Dining options, you’ll see the lounges listed including the Retreat.  The bar menu you can access there is the full menu, including food and drinks, and does change from time to time.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, johng75370 said:

In addition to the menu posted by @Covepointcruiser if your next booking is on Encore then you should be able to access the menu through the Seabourn Source app.  If you click on “view more” for Dining options, you’ll see the lounges listed including the Retreat.  The bar menu you can access there is the full menu, including food and drinks, and does change from time to time.  

6 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Thank you So much!   this is so helpful!!!!!

I have another (perhaps silly) question. If we  booked The Retreat for entire cruise, ( 14 days in our case) do you receive 50$ spa credit per day (700$) or Only50$ spa credit regardless how many days you reserve The Retreat. I asked my Seabourn Cruise TA  and she was not sure, but thought only one time 50$ spa credit.  any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Best, Colleen and Carl 

From Carmel by the Sea, California

Hello. Seabourn Cruisers:

Does anyone have a menu for the retreat on the Encore? i am curious about the wine upgrade list? I would love it if  anyone has a copy of the drink menu that is offered in The Retreat. i would like to know about the "upgraded" wines offered.  Thank you

1 hour ago, chuckncole said:

If we  booked The Retreat for entire cruise, ( 14 days in our case) do you receive 50$ spa credit per day (700$) or Only50$ spa credit regardless how many days you reserve The Retreat.

I've heard from others that you get the $50 credit per day, along with a daily bottle of nicer champagne - making it a really good deal if you plan multiple spa visits and to buy revenue champagne.  Hopefully others who have done that can confirm, but it is what I have heard onboard (from people who did it).  A couple of considerations:  if your itinerary has cold or bad weather The Retreat may not be that useful.  On the other hand, there is a massage space in The Retreat, so if you want an outdoor massage it's the only option onboard.  Personally, I have done it once and really enjoyed it and would do it again, but would be itinerary-dependent (and wine offering dependent) as to the value for buying it for the whole sailing.  As @Mr Luxury highlighted, it used to be Bollinger as the champagne and (IMHO) better wines than are currently showing, but I would still take advantage of it depending on itinerary.  

Edited by johng75370

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:

FWIW, here is the menu currently showing for Ovation on the Source app.  With other culinary changes going on at Seabourn this menu should likely be updated/revisited.  

menu_template_-_the_retreat_-_2023 (1).pdf 151.35 kB · 4 downloads

Premium Champagne????  Wow they cannot even bother to list a brand!  And those wines are not nearly as nice as the ones Covepointcruiser posted.

The menu for food and wine is dreadful.

Nothing luxury or special about any of it. 

If you want seclusion away from the sun and crowds and a TV, then I  can see no benefit over staying in your suite for the day after paying for it.

On fact if it's really hot then air con in the suite is a benefit over the hot and stuffy Retreat.

I can see nothing positive.

• Like 2

The BLT chop chop salad and club sandwich are delicious, the berry basil drink (forget what it’s called exactly) is delicious, the brownie sundae is delicious, the atmosphere is lovely with a really nice hot tub and attentive staff, and the loungers are super comfortable (and you can be in the sun or the shade as you desire). We were on a warm weather cruise and I did not find it hot or stuffy. I do not care one bit about the champagne or wine. So as always, depends on the person and what they are looking for.

And for the person that asked, yes you get $50/day spa credit, so $700 for 14 days.

• Like 2

The day pass to the thermal suites area is $ 49 per passenger per day.

Does anyone know if the $ 50/day spa credit applies to a day pass purchase?

If so that would make the Retreat an even better deal as that would mean one person gets in free to the thermal suites area.

13 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

The BLT chop chop salad and club sandwich are delicious, the berry basil drink (forget what it’s called exactly) is delicious, the brownie sundae is delicious, the atmosphere is lovely with a really nice hot tub and attentive staff, and the loungers are super comfortable (and you can be in the sun or the shade as you desire). We were on a warm weather cruise and I did not find it hot or stuffy. I do not care one bit about the champagne or wine. So as always, depends on the person and what they are looking for.

And for the person that asked, yes you get $50/day spa credit, so $700 for 14 days.

Thank you very much for the information about the spa credit.  We booked the entire 14 day, feb cruise on the Encore in SE Asia... and are trying to see if it passes the dollar to donuts test!( ha) curious about the stuffy SE Asia humidity.....so honestly  we are on the fence.  I understand the hot button issue about all inclusive  cruise at a premium then having to pay for the retreat on a daily / entire cruise fee. However we are not ones to try and scope out chairs and finding them all Held for others ALL DAY!

My husband  likes his shade... and we enjoy the spa  and nice wine and champagne.....

decisions decisions....

The “Retreat”? I am with Mr L on this concept which is a mass market hotel concept foisted on these 2 overcrowded ships to appeal who have either figured out the game and/or think that this is good value and in somehow consistent with the all inclusive luxury concept (which I believe it is not). 

Too bad, too, that the meager outdoor deck space per passenger is given over to this revenue center. But hey…

All this value calculating, competing, executing vouchers 2:1 here and there, and avoiding hoi polloi is too much for me to contemplate before and on “Retreat” sign-up day/embarkation day for a vacation. There are undoubtedly better and “calmer” luxury lines out there without doubt, and they have earned their competitive positions at Seabourn expense.

Now if Seabourn would reduce some passenger numbers to create a more spacious deck environment and introduce wider, padded loungers near the pool, and a more attentive drinks service there, well, the space usurped by the “Retreat” could be shared for deck sports. Like it is on the Ody class ships and the original Seabourn Legend, Spirit and Pride. But that was then, and now is now…. And the cruises’ pricing might even be able to rise to reflect the value that everyone gets. But oh no. These days it’s all about discounting and bartering with this current product, and the market has spoken.

OTOH, maybe 2024 will be different?

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 3

I think of the Retreat like classes on an airplane.  Some people will simply pay to be in the better 'class' regardless of whether or not the value proposition is there.  The value proposition on an airplane is simple though.  You get a flat bed seat versus 10 across in economy and much better food/drink.  So for airlines, I totally see the value proposition.

Onboard Seabourn, the value of the Retreat is less obvious.  My feeling is that it gets full simply because it is perceived as a better 'class' and plenty of people have the money to blow on it.  Good for them, but that is not what Seabourn was about.  

• Like 4

On 11/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, lisa6191 said:

If you do the Retreat on a 14 day basis, I assume you can aggregate the $700 coupons for a spa service (for example $350 on one service and $350 on another)? Also do they provide the $50 coupons in advance or daily (i.e., do you need to collect the last day and use it that day to get full benefit)? Lastly, what are the Retreat hours -- are they same port or at sea (looking at the value proposition when only 2 of 14 are sea days). Thanks in advance. 

15 hours ago, markham said:

The “Retreat”? I am with Mr L on this concept which is a mass market hotel concept foisted on these 2 overcrowded ships to appeal who have either figured out the game and/or think that this is good value and in somehow consistent with the all inclusive luxury concept (which I believe it is not). 

Too bad, too, that the meager outdoor deck space per passenger is given over to this revenue center. But hey…

All this value calculating, competing, executing vouchers 2:1 here and there, and avoiding hoi polloi is too much for me to contemplate before and on “Retreat” sign-up day/embarkation day for a vacation. There are undoubtedly better and “calmer” luxury lines out there without doubt, and they have earned their competitive positions at Seabourn expense.

Now if Seabourn would reduce some passenger numbers to create a more spacious deck environment and introduce wider, padded loungers near the pool, and a more attentive drinks service there, well, the space usurped by the “Retreat” could be shared for deck sports. Like it is on the Ody class ships and the original Seabourn Legend, Spirit and Pride. But that was then, and now is now…. And the cruises’ pricing might even be able to rise to reflect the value that everyone gets. But oh no. These days it’s all about discounting and bartering with this current product, and the market has spoken.

You have read my mind and I entirely agree.  The hunt is on for a less crowded luxury line.  Such a shame - the little yachts were true class - as the Odyssey and Sojourn still are.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:41 AM, markham said:

Our TA had a very interesting meeting with the CEO yesterday.

Things are happening apparently.

We will see how it all goes.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 8:58 AM, texanaust said:

I think of the Retreat like classes on an airplane.  Some people will simply pay to be in the better 'class' regardless of whether or not the value proposition is there.  The value proposition on an airplane is simple though.  You get a flat bed seat versus 10 across in economy and much better food/drink.  So for airlines, I totally see the value proposition.

Onboard Seabourn, the value of the Retreat is less obvious.  My feeling is that it gets full simply because it is perceived as a better 'class' and plenty of people have the money to blow on it.  Good for them, but that is not what Seabourn was about.  

Totally agree.

One ship,one class.

This is what we have always had in the past with Seabourn.

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

Our TA had a very interesting meeting with the CEO yesterday.

Things are happening apparently.

We will see how it all goes.

Told yesterday by a senior staff member that the Retreat had not been a financial success and is to be replaced with a number of select suites with keycard access only to that deck