The Retreat on Encore

jawlaw

Mr Luxury/Isr45

I will immediately contact the CEO and senior staff  stating that many only sail the Encore and Ovation because of the Retreat.   The last thing these ships need is more cabins/suites, what in the world are they thinking!     Every cabana is in use today with happy passengers.   Certainly hope your TA has very little influence and we will also contact our TA who may have more a little more influence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Katsings01 said:

If you do the Retreat on a 14 day basis, I assume you can aggregate the $700 coupons for a spa service (for example $350 on one service and $350 on another)? Also do they provide the $50 coupons in advance or daily (i.e., do you need to collect the last day and use it that day to get full benefit)? Lastly, what are the Retreat hours -- are they same port or at sea (looking at the value proposition when only 2 of 14 are sea days). Thanks in advance. 

It’s all done on your account, which is settled up at the end. So you can use the spa as you wish and then at the end you will have $700 credited against whatever you spent there. 

I believe the hours are the same every day, 9-6.

Adding more cabins up there at some big expense sounds foolish to me. But the HAL managers might just be moving the brand into HAL anyway by making these open deck starved ships even more so. If so it’s  the larger ship “pack ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap” game that’s in their DNA.

The “Retreat” installation on Encore and Ovation was/is foolish too but then those punters who claim to benefit from its services might differ. But can’t we all agree that luxury means more and not less space per passenger, and provision of deck space for sports eg putting and shuffle board for all passengers?

Or maybe the bean counters remain fully in charge in terms of their way of doing things: trying to increase revenues at all costs. Apparently they have cut so much already and they see the damage such cuts have made to revenues. If they’re in a pickle now it’s because the consequences show in a poorer revenue picture. And this is all they can come up with to increase it.

Good luck to them.

Happy and healthy sailing!

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Our TA had a very interesting meeting with the CEO yesterday.

Things are happening apparently.

We will see how it all goes.

8 hours ago, Isr45 said:

Told yesterday by a senior staff member that the Retreat had not been a financial success and is to be replaced with a number of select suites with keycard access only to that deck

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Totally agree.

One ship,one class.

This is what we have always had in the past with Seabourn.

Mr L if what Isr45 was told is correct this is not one ship one class but an even worse type of class segregation. So if correct I hope your TA isn't successful.

At least with the Retreat when I have used it at times we had to vacate by 6pm because they were setting up for cocktail parties. Including one for that Face group that a few contributors on this board use. I don't use it.

So if converted into suites those groups won't get to use that area at all.

8 hours ago, Isr45 said:

Told yesterday by a senior staff member that the Retreat had not been a financial success and is to be replaced with a number of select suites with keycard access only to that deck

I suspect that whatever happens, this space will not be turned back over to the 'masses.'  Seabourn is determined to make money out of this area, so more deck space is simply not in the equation.  

If I was a bean counter (and I didn't care about lessening the product), there are plenty of other things I could do too.  The specialty TK/Solis could be chargeable.  Double sunbeds around the pool-chargeable.  Caviar-chargeable.  They could have a Seabourn 'CLUB' pass that they sell before the cruise.  Maybe $250 a couple.  It could get you early/late priority embarkation/disembarkation, add back the caviar, early access to your suite and lunch in the Restaurant...😁

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Mr L if what Isr45 was told is correct this is not one ship one class but an even worse type of class segregation. So if correct I hope your TA isn't successful.

At least with the Retreat when I have used it at times we had to vacate by 6pm because they were setting up for cocktail parties. Including one for that Face group that a few contributors on this board use. I don't use it.

So if converted into suites those groups won't get to use that area at all.

No,Julie 

My TA had a meeting with Natalya but was listening to exciting new things that shebeill be implementing around the ship. 

He wasn't there to suggest anything about the Retreat.

In fact he is tight lipped at what was discussed as I would expect him to be.

He wasn't there to tell her to change the whole ship configuration.

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

No,Julie 

My TA had a meeting with Natalya but was listening to exciting new things that shebeill be implementing around the ship. 

He wasn't there to suggest anything about the Retreat.

In fact he is tight lipped at what was discussed as I would expect him to be.

He wasn't there to tell her to change the whole ship configuration.

Thanks for the clarification Mr L.

Some other friends currently on Odyssey have been on there quite a few weeks and they are getting to experience some of the new dining concepts being tried out by Pascal and Michael Sandalov. Also a presentation on Solis with fresher mediterranean menus. As you say nothing is set in stone as yet so all speculative. 

My friends have had a great trip though I haven't heard anything for a few days so hopefully things are still good.

39 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Thanks for the clarification Mr L.

Some other friends currently on Odyssey have been on there quite a few weeks and they are getting to experience some of the new dining concepts being tried out by Pascal and Michael Sandalov. Also a presentation on Solis with fresher mediterranean menus. As you say nothing is set in stone as yet so all speculative. 

My friends have had a great trip though I haven't heard anything for a few days so hopefully things are still good.

I have been talking to Michael and I know ow that they have had a rough time weather wise at sea.

He is having a go at implementing a fee new ideas in the Colonnade and he is in every galley trying to train and help.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:05 AM, lisa6191 said:

It’s all done on your account, which is settled up at the end. So you can use the spa as you wish and then at the end you will have $700 credited against whatever you spent there. 

I believe the hours are the same every day, 9-6.

This is unexpected.  I thought I read a post by someone else that the credit was applied on a per-day basis, so if one did not use spa services on any given day, the $ 50 credit would be lost.

If it is indeed accumulated, that would be great for someone who uses a lot of spa services...makes booking the Retreat almost a no-brainer in that case.

Just now, CalTexCruiser said:

This is unexpected.  I thought I read a post by someone else that the credit was applied on a per-day basis, so if one did not use spa services on any given day, the $ 50 credit would be lost.

If it is indeed accumulated, that would be great for someone who uses a lot of spa services...makes booking the Retreat almost a no-brainer in that case.

Credits applied yesterday at start of cruise

IMG_4377.png

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:33 AM, CalTexCruiser said:

I think that at one time they were on a per-day basis, but that was also when they thought they had adequate staff to provide massages in the dedicated spa cabana on the Retreat deck. I have yet to be able to get a massage up there and on our recent 14-day experience in the area, it sat open and unused for the duration of the sailing.

The spa credit is added to the onboard account as a separate $50 credit for each day the Retreat is booked, but I can confirm from my experience disembarking last Sunday that they will aggregate and apply them to any spa service rendered during the sailing automatically.  If you book for the entire sailing, all the $50 credits show up at once.  

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

I know this is thread has been inactive for 2 months but wanted to ask a question about the Retreat during colder weather.  I have seen there are fans for when it is hot. During cold or windy weather, is the Retreat essentially unusable?

Thanks for any responses.

1 hour ago, BriSquared said:

During cold or windy weather, is the Retreat essentially unusable?

Thanks for any responses.

When the weather is bad, the Retreat is no fun.

During rough seas, it is also no fun.  (The hot tub in the center becomes a Seabourn Waterfall.  I have photos!)

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

When the weather is bad, the Retreat is no fun.

During rough seas, it is also no fun.  (The hot tub in the center becomes a Seabourn Waterfall.  I have photos!)

Thank you so much.  Our temperatures are unlikely to break the mid-60s so your input is very helpful.  The spa credit and champagne would almost make it worth a risk for the whole voyage but I understand Bollinger champagne is no longer offered and given our weather may not  be cooperative, we are likely to opt for a one and done day pass rather than an entire voyage. Thank you again.

On 11/30/2023 at 10:39 AM, lisa6191 said:

the atmosphere is lovely with a really nice hot tub and attentive staff

Can it be a really nice hot tub, if someone else has used the water before you?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BriSquared said:

I understand Bollinger champagne is no longer offered and given our weather may not  be cooperative, we are likely to opt for a one and done day pass rather than an entire voyage.

Do you know which is the current champagne for the Retreat?

If you try it for a day and like it (and the weather forecast for the rest of the voyage is good), you can always ask guest services about paying the difference for the full voyage Retreat acess (if that is being offered on your voyage, of course).

Edited by sfvoyage

On 11/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, Mr Luxury said:

Not a lot more than you could get around the ship in other restaurants or from room service.

The Champagne is pretty standard.

I thought that they used to serve Bollinger in the Retreat 

Ummm.  We had a bottle of Moët ( our favorite) in the retreat on Ovation in October.  

5 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Do you know which is the current champagne for the Retreat?

If you try it for a day and like it (and the weather forecast for the rest of the voyage is good), you can always ask guest services about paying the difference for the full voyage Retreat acess (if that is being offered on your voyage, of course).

Thank you. I had read it was switched from Bollinger to Moët, however, I am not sure if that has changed again.

1 hour ago, LEESRE said:

Can you book the Retreat before you embark, or do you do it once on board.

Cannot see anywhere on the web site to book pre-cruise??

Click on “manage my booking”

Section headed “Before you leave” -  click on The Retreat Reservations.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:51 PM, BriSquared said:

Thank you. I had read it was switched from Bollinger to Moët, however, I am not sure if that has changed again.

In October it was Moet

On 2/27/2024 at 9:51 AM, Isr45 said:

Click on “manage my booking”

Section headed “Before you leave” -  click on The Retreat Reservations.

How far in advance can you book. I just tried tonight and it would not allow me too. I was however able to book my dinner reservation at the Thomas Keller restaurant. 

9 hours ago, sunshin9 said:

How far in advance can you book. I just tried tonight and it would not allow me too. I was however able to book my dinner reservation at the Thomas Keller restaurant. 

You can book once a reservation is confirmed ( I can see the packages available up to our December 2025 cruises) BUT if you have combined cruises ie I have a 30 night cruise booked for June 2024 - this is actually three 10 night cruises - then it does not show a package price - just individual sea days or port days. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Does anyone know please whether the spa voucher may be used on spa products rather than treatments? 

I used $500 of the spa credits on hair products in the hair salon in the spa - don’t see that body products etc would be any different 😀

• Thanks 1