3 Day Cruises

stquentin

On 10/4/2023 at 10:24 AM, stquentin said:

How much interest is there for 3 day cruises? I know that unless I'm living in or near the embarking port I would pass. Hard to justify airfare for such short cruise.

I haven't read most of the comments here, but I'm sure this grizzled group of veteran cruisers has little interest in 3-day cruises.  My shortest cruise has been 5 days, but...

I actually booked one of these for next year.  It happens to have a couple of headlining musicians and a couple of comedians of headliner quality.  It's on a cruise line that I've never used.  Apparently, that was enough for me to get to book.  I'm looking forward to it.  👍

We did a three-day last December and loved it!  Of course, the circumstances worked out just right: 

- We paid only $99/person. 

- We live close enough to drive. 

- We were among the first to board, which added a few hours to a short cruise. 

We did see lots of people, um, indulging /overindulging -- but I didn't see anyone behaving badly.  Mid-sized ships are our favorite, so we enjoyed sailing on Independence.  The only negative was Nasasu. 

Given the same circumstances, I'd do a three-day again.  We agreed that we wouldn't be willing to pay as much per night for a three-day, and -- if we find another excellent price -- we'd try to turn it into a B2B.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Most of these posts seem to express the customers view...and understandably so.  However many, especially West Coast short cruises, are actually repositioning trips that the cruise line advertises in the hope that they can recover some of the operating costs of moving the ship.

Reading comments about west coast cruises I am reminded that there are very few west coast destinations. I have live in the LA area 5 times and you can only go to Tijuana and Ensenada just so many times. Sure if I am heading to or fro with Alaskan cruises it would start/end on the west coast but these are NOT 3 day cruises. I really appreciate the comment on how much free time is left after boarding when considering waiting for your luggage, unpacking and re-packing your stuff. I also lived in Titusville Florida (twice), Orlando Florida (3 times) and Key West. When I first lived in Titusville Port Canaveral was a mere rock jetty to breakup waves.

1 hour ago, stquentin said:

Reading comments about west coast cruises I am reminded that there are very few west coast destinations. I have live in the LA area 5 times and you can only go to Tijuana and Ensenada just so many times. Sure if I am heading to or fro with Alaskan cruises it would start/end on the west coast but these are NOT 3 day cruises. I really appreciate the comment on how much free time is left after boarding when considering waiting for your luggage, unpacking and re-packing your stuff. I also lived in Titusville Florida (twice), Orlando Florida (3 times) and Key West. When I first lived in Titusville Port Canaveral was a mere rock jetty to breakup waves.

On the other hand there isn't much to pack/unpack for a three day cruise.  Take the roll-on bag with when you board & unboard.  No need to wait for it in the luggage hall. 

When I lived in the Keys, Miami and FLL were easy commutes for 3-day cruises.  They made for great weekend getaways and for some reason, I never really felt like my cruises on Majesty of the Seas were booze cruises.  We always had a great, and relaxing time.  

I would never fly to a 3-day cruise though unless it was part of a longer vacation.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

Very strange mentality. 

I suspect I would be just as confused by how many days you think is enough to see a poc destination. 

What mentality are you finding strange?  If nearby, then a 3 day cruise is handy and inexpensive.  If you have to fly across the country, then maybe not worth it.  Or, it is very likely I'm missing your point.     

• Like 2