Have we made a mistake?

babs135

Currently we are booked into a deluxe inside cabin on the Queen Victoria.  There will be 3 of us, the 3rd being our adult daughter who prefers the sofa bed as she feels she can no longer comfortably manage the bunk bed.  The upgrade email has arrived and we were tempted by the obstructed outside view cabin, but when we tried to bid on line it only showed double occupancy.  DH rang Cunard and the lady confirmed our booking for 3 and that although the bid showed only for 2 people we would be okay.  We further enquired about the 3rd bed and again she said it would be a sofa bed.  Based on this conversation we went ahead and put in a (minimum) bid.  The confirmation email has just arrived and it still shows only double occupancy.  I then looked at deck plans (yes, I should have done it first) and it looks to me as if there are no cabins big enough for 3?

Should we be worried?

24 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Currently we are booked into a deluxe inside cabin on the Queen Victoria.  There will be 3 of us, the 3rd being our adult daughter who prefers the sofa bed as she feels she can no longer comfortably manage the bunk bed.  The upgrade email has arrived and we were tempted by the obstructed outside view cabin, but when we tried to bid on line it only showed double occupancy.  DH rang Cunard and the lady confirmed our booking for 3 and that although the bid showed only for 2 people we would be okay.  We further enquired about the 3rd bed and again she said it would be a sofa bed.  Based on this conversation we went ahead and put in a (minimum) bid.  The confirmation email has just arrived and it still shows only double occupancy.  I then looked at deck plans (yes, I should have done it first) and it looks to me as if there are no cabins big enough for 3?

Should we be worried?

We recently bid on an upgrade and won . Had  72 hours to pay for it so presumably if you get offered a cabin that wouldn’t suit you could decline it  ? I had a brilliant obscured ocean view on QV had a large sofa but not sure if it was a sofa bed. Might be best to ring again. 

I am probably not allowed to name it, but there is at least one website which shows detailed deck plans.  If there is a sofa bed in a particular cabin, it is indicated by a +.  I suggest you look for one of these websites and check your assigned cabin.

You need to call back. None of those obstructed view oceanview cabins are a three berth. I seriously doubt that there will be a sofa bed in a room not designed to have one in it. 

We were told that even if we didn't need a bed we could not book a double occupancy cabin, it had to be a three berth so I'm surprised their computer system has allowed three people to book in a standard cabin. Actually I'm not surprised really!

32 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

I am probably not allowed to name it, but there is at least one website which shows detailed deck plans.  If there is a sofa bed in a particular cabin, it is indicated by a +.  I suggest you look for one of these websites and check your assigned cabin.

You may have to enlarge the image, depending on your screen, but the little + signs are on the deck plans on Cunard's website. Connecting cabins are also shown.

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

Cunard’s own deck plans will also show if there is a sofa that can be a 3 rd berth 

57 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

You need to call back. None of those obstructed view oceanview cabins are a three berth. I seriously doubt that there will be a sofa bed in a room not designed to have one in it. 

We were told that even if we didn't need a bed we could not book a double occupancy cabin, it had to be a three berth so I'm surprised their computer system has allowed three people to book in a standard cabin. Actually I'm not surprised really!

The bid to upgrade is handled by a third party so not the same as booking a cabin. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. We have cancelled the upgrade.  Whilst I have to admit to not checking occupancy in an obstructed ocean view cabin I am also cross at the misinformation given to us via the telephone. I told her that there were 3 of us on the booking and she confirmed that she could see 3 names, but she assured us that we would receive an email which would clearly state an occupancy level of 3.  It did not.

55 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

The bid to upgrade is handled by a third party so not the same as booking a cabin. 

The booking still has to be put into Cunard's systems though. Alarm bells should have rung somewhere whether at the third party or at Cunard when three passengers were assigned a two berth. 

14 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Thanks for the advice. We have cancelled the upgrade.  Whilst I have to admit to not checking occupancy in an obstructed ocean view cabin I am also cross at the misinformation given to us via the telephone. I told her that there were 3 of us on the booking and she confirmed that she could see 3 names, but she assured us that we would receive an email which would clearly state an occupancy level of 3.  It did not.

It absolutely should not be on the passenger to check that the room offered can actually accommodate all passengers on a booking. Luckily your Cunard spidey senses started tingling and you were able to correct the error before you got on board. I wonder what would have happened if you had trusted the phone operator and left things be.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, babs135 said:

Honestly, I would have assumed that if they let me bid on a category that they had rooms in that category my party could fit into or they will cancel the upgrade.  I wouldn't have checked either.