Passports and boarding cards

Kinniegirl

we’re newbies to Saga.

Chatting with hubby and we’re unsure if you have your passport stamped at embarkation and disembarkation.and go through customs

Also getting on and off the ship in visiting Ports do you go through customs and do you need your passport, or use your boarding cards

thanks in advance

You show your passport to Saga, on embarkation only, on cruises to and from the UK to Europe. We have never had our passport stamped in Europe in recent years with Saga, apart from In Russia. When going ashore and returning to the ship in ports of call your cruise card is all you need (also on disembarkation). Generally Saga advise you to make a copy of the main page in your passport and take that when going ashore. I can’t say that I have been particularly aware of customs at any point…..others may be able to help with this.

Edited by Kohima
Addition

41 minutes ago, Kohima said:

You show your passport to Saga, on embarkation only, on cruises to and from the UK to Europe. We have never had our passport stamped in Europe in recent years with Saga, apart from In Russia. When going ashore and returning to the ship in ports of call your cruise card is all you need (also on disembarkation). Generally Saga advise you to make a copy of the main page in your passport and take that when going ashore. I can’t say that I have been particularly aware of customs at any point…..others may be able to help with this.

You will pass through Customs, through the Red or Green Lane, after disembarkation.

Saga do not issue boarding cards. All you need is your passport. This will be scanned at check in and then returned to you; your booking is automatically linked to your passport.

At most ports all you need to go ashore is your cruise card. At a minority of ports however, you may be required to carry your passport. Whether or not you are required to carry your passport will be stated on the daily programme delivered to your cabin. If you are required to carry your passport you must carry the actual document; a photocopy is not usually acceptable.

2 hours ago, Kinniegirl said:

we’re newbies to Saga.

Chatting with hubby and we’re unsure if you have your passport stamped at embarkation and disembarkation.and go through customs

Also getting on and off the ship in visiting Ports do you go through customs and do you need your passport, or use your boarding cards

thanks in advance

When the ship docks officials come on board to check the passenger list & other stuff. Then the bridge or the cruise director announces that we are cleared to disembark. Last cruise, Eastern Med, we didn't need our passports. Caribbean cruise I think there was at least one island we had to carry them. Can't remember which ones.

15 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

On our recent cruise we were advised to take copies of our passports and not the originals when going ashore.

On the night before we arrived in France copies of our passports were left in our cabin.

I was just going to say the same. Maybe we were on the same cruise (11 Sept, 5 nights). 

On some cruises they did not hand us back our passports at check-in, we had to collect them several days later from ship reception. Probably because of specific customs/visa requirements at ports of call.

Check-in is always a remarkably cheerful affair, and they explain things as they go along.

(The photo they take at check-in is always the best photo that gets taken of me for the entire cruise.)