Seine River cruising in Normandy

Tipper_1

We are booked on AMAWATERWAYS 7day cruise from Paris to Le Havre on the ship Dante. I was trying to find out if the river ships on the Seine travel at night or if you are docked in town where you can walk around at night. We have sailed on the Douro River in Portugal where the ships where not permitted to sail at night.

I'm doing French Riviera to Normandy in April with Avalon.  Spending evenings in port is always enjoyable.  Ships usually do sail at night, one of the perks of a river cruise is waking up in a new location.  Just check the detailed itinerary for your cruise and it's easy to figure out when you'll be sailing and when you'll be docked.  

We sailed the Seine - Paris, Honfluer, Paris, this year with Scenic. Yes there were evening/overnight sailings usually to get into position for the next days frolics, oops sorry excursions. The Seine as it gets towards its meeting with the sea is not the most beautiful of rivers apart from a couple of the most spectacular bridges and the wide open spaces of the Seine estuary. As you are aiming for Le Havre you’ll miss the last one and leave the first one to go down the canal to the port. Technically I’d say the Seine itself is not the most beautiful of rivers but the history and heritage of the countryside it flows through takes an awful lot of beating.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e686c528be1669cae67f3556f5d3a88.jpeg
The Pont du Normandy absolutely spectacular! The second bridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

How were the excursions on this itinerary ? We have been on Scenic twice ( Danube and Rhine) both a few years prior to Covid. Now we are thinking about doing the Scenic Gem on the Seine. I know the river is not a spectacular as the others but hoping it would be as enjoyable. Any input on this itinerary and Scenic ( post Covid) would be appreciated.

Look for Jazzbeau’s in depth report they did it last year. It was our second time this year we were on the very first Scenic Seine cruise as well. My DH did the bike tour in Caudebec which he throughly enjoyed. Don’t miss Giverney. Trying to fit in everything keeps you very busy. Next year heritage wise is worth going it’s the 80th anniversary of the Normandy landings. Superb cruise as usual with Scenic.