Regent - Unreasonable Air Itineraries - Never Again

Golfess

23 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Isn't that what I said when I said that "any money's, be it refund or FCC, would be deducted from the Travel Insurance?"  The poster didn't get a refund from Regent but did get full refund from their Travel Insurance.  So what difference would it be if they got FCC from Regent or not?  In fact, isn't it better to get 100% refund from the insurance company rather than a FCC that needs to be used within a year?  

Just catching up on some of these informative posts.  And, yes, I understand that a refund from insurance provides more flexibility.  But, given that we had no option to deviate (cruise booked late) and were stuck with a bad Regent itinerary, I think it is wrong that insurance had to pay up instead of Regent.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Golfess said:

Just catching up on some of these informative posts.  And, yes, I understand that a refund from insurance provides more flexibility.  But, given that we had no option to deviate (cruise booked late) and were stuck with a bad Regent itinerary, I think it is wrong that insurance had to pay up instead of Regent.  

Regent doesn’t have to pay; as I previously wrote, they need by default to book air to arrive a day prior to embarkation (money-wise, there is no difference for them versus booking to arrive on the embarkation date).  Then the majority would be mad at them if missing the cruise, because it really would be out of Regent control.

48 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Regent doesn’t have to pay; as I previously wrote, they need by default to book air to arrive a day prior to embarkation (money-wise, there is no difference for them versus booking to arrive on the embarkation date).  Then the majority would be mad at them if missing the cruise, because it really would be out of Regent control.

Concierge suites do arrive a day in advance as they have an 'included' 1-night pre-cruise hotel.  I suppose if Regent changed to booking EVERYONE to arrive a day in advance -they'd have to include that same pre-cruise hotel or you can be sure people would complain.  And then to 'include' that hotel Regent would have to increase the per-person package cost.  And people will complain....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Concierge suites do arrive a day in advance as they have an 'included' 1-night pre-cruise hotel.  I suppose if Regent changed to booking EVERYONE to arrive a day in advance -they'd have to include that same pre-cruise hotel or you can be sure people would complain.  And then to 'include' that hotel Regent would have to increase the per-person package cost.  And people will complain....

Agree…..and further downgrade hotels due to cost. Which would get even more people complaining. Our last 2 Splendor cruises had us staying in hotels that we felt were not up to the “first class experience” Regent promises, and the breakfasts on day of embarkation were very poor with cold food and warm juices. For our upcoming Grandeur cruise in July, we took credits and booked own air and hotels.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, Steve Q said:

We are booked on the Rio to Lisbon cruise in March 2024. This will be our third Regent cruise. With our travel agent, we spent 35 minutes on the phone yesterday with a Regent Air service representative trying to arrange our flights. There were no available one stop flights from DFW without an additional cost of several thousand dollars (she even quoted us an additional $4,000 for just the DFW-RIO flight on one particular flight). The only flight available without an additional fee departed from DFW to Miami to Lima to Rio. The Lima leg would also  have been in coach. We were shocked as Lima is on the West coast of the continent! Lima is almost 3,000 miles from Rio! While we paid our $75, we were very surprised and disappointed. We have decided to just wait until 70 days from our cruise date to have them assign our flights. It is difficult to believe that they could be any worse than what they were offering.

Gosh - that is terrible.  I decided to book my own flights a couple of days ago.  Yes, it cost more than I got as a rebate from Regent, but I have no regrets.  I'm a planner and a control freak and very picky about where my seat is located, so like to book way in advance.  What surprised me was how many business class seats were already sold on our return flight from London Heathrow, and it is still over 260 days out.  I didn't even want to wait until 210 days out and still end up paying an upcharge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

Gosh - that is terrible.  I decided to book my own flights a couple of days ago.  Yes, it cost more than I got as a rebate from Regent, but I have no regrets.  I'm a planner and a control freak and very picky about where my seat is located, so like to book way in advance.  What surprised me was how many business class seats were already sold on our return flight from London Heathrow, and it is still over 260 days out.  I didn't even want to wait until 210 days out and still end up paying an upcharge.

BUT....keep reviewing your airline reservation at least weekly...too many 'schedule changes' whether Regent books your air or you do...

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

BUT....keep reviewing your airline reservation at least weekly...too many 'schedule changes' whether Regent books your air or you do...

Definitely- as I said, I'm a planner and a control freak.  I check all my reservations on a weekly basis, and more often in the last weeks prior to flying.  In case of a last minute change, since I am paying full fare, I know the airline will take care of me before those tickets which have been sold to a consolidator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

I don't understand "booking by default a day prior to embarkation".  Regent booked air the day of embarkation and we were told we had no option to change or deviate or get a credit in order to fly the day prior.  

2 hours ago, Golfess said:

I don't understand "booking by default a day prior to embarkation".  Regent booked air the day of embarkation and we were told we had no option to change or deviate or get a credit in order to fly the day prior.  

You can deviate 210 days out. I do it for every cruise for myself and my clients....not optional. It ensures excellent flights.

4 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

They do not have to include the hotel for everyone? What to complain about. I understand complaining if something is removed for the same price being paid, but not adding something for the same price shall not produce complaining - it’s not logical.  From the other hand, for last 4-6 years it amazes me how there is so much not logical concept what people express these days around the globe (it’s out of “control”).

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

They do not have to include the hotel for everyone? What to complain about. I understand complaining if something is removed for the same price being paid, but not adding something for the same price shall not produce complaining - it’s not logical.  From the other hand, for last 4-6 years it amazes me how there is so much not logical concept what people express these days around the globe (it’s out of “control”).

If Regent added a hotel night for F and below...they would have to increase the price. I suppose people could take a hotel credit and get one on their own if they also wanted to arrange their own transfers.

3 hours ago, Golfess said:

That’s exactly my point! - What I wrote was Regent needs to change their air program to buy air ticket so a person will arrive a day earlier of the embarkation date.  I understand your unfortunate situation, and that’s why I wrote my statement. I really do not comprehend why they do not do that. If the implement such a policy, your situation would never occur.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

That’s exactly my point! - What I wrote was Regent needs to change their air program to buy air ticket so a person will arrive a day earlier of the embarkation date.  I understand your unfortunate situation, and that’s why I wrote my statement. I really do not comprehend why they do not do that. If the implement such a policy, your situation would never occur.

Absolutely agree.  On previous cruises, when we booked our own air, we ALWAYS traveled at least a day prior to embarkation.

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Completely agree with you, but why not take it a step further? Why can't Regent offer both options, so that for any given cruise you could choose either day-before or same-day flight arrival? No hotel included if you choose day-before (unless, as pointed out by others, you're at the Concierge level). And you can change your mind later via the same deviation process with the same fees. For that matter, why not offer 2 days before and 3 days before options as well? Someone from Regent has to book the flights no matter which option you choose, so no additional work for them. Am I missing something? Why is the policy so restrictive?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, BaltiGator said:

Completely agree with you, but why not take it a step further? Why can't Regent offer both options, so that for any given cruise you could choose either day-before or same-day flight arrival? No hotel included if you choose day-before (unless, as pointed out by others, you're at the Concierge level). And you can change your mind later via the same deviation process with the same fees. For that matter, why not offer 2 days before and 3 days before options as well? Someone from Regent has to book the flights no matter which option you choose, so no additional work for them. Am I missing something? Why is the policy so restrictive?

Yes.  However, with your idea a cruiser would have to call no matter what to select an itinerary initially what they want versus of how currently Regent just selects an itinerary on their own (saving time and resources of contacting).  I think the reason why Regent had the current policy is to collect the deviation fee for any change (and the majority of those who use Regent air program will deviate to avoid the obvious reason to potentially miss their cruise).  So, the only a good user’s point of a deviating for a day earlier with a fee is they can select at the same time a preferred itinerary (versus a blind one selected by Regent and revealed at the very short time prior to the cruise like in this thread’s unfortunate and unpleasant so to speak example).

Edited by kirtihk

45 minutes ago, Golfess said:

But we didn't get our air itinerary until much later.

I am presuming here, not knowing definitively, that the late booking date added to your troubles. I am so sorry for your misadventure. If it wasn’t for the advice I received here from veteran cruisers, I would have not known the importance of deviating and been stuck with a yucky flight schedule. We also added on an extra day before our pre-cruise tour because of issues we read about with flights being changed. We decided to add on an extra cushion for contingencies. Flights fill up quickly these days and we didn’t want to be left getting the leftovers. I will let everyone know how things go for us next April. Again, sorry for your experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Yes.  However, with your idea a cruiser would have to call no matter what to select an itinerary initially what they want versus of how currently Regent just selects an itinerary on their own (saving time and resources of contacting).  I think the reason why Regent had the current policy is to collect the deviation fee for any change (and the majority of those who use Regent air program will deviate to avoid the obvious reason to potentially miss their cruise).  So, the only a good user’s point of a deviating for a day earlier with a fee is they can select at the same time a preferred itinerary (versus a blind one selected by Regent and revealed at the very short time prior to the cruise like in this thread’s unfortunate and unpleasant so to speak example).

Thanks for your comments. I'm a Regent newbie, so maybe I don't understand the process well enough. But what I'm envisioning is that you pick which day you want to fly in when you book your cruise (arrival day of, 1 day before, 2 days before, 3 days before) but you then still wait for a "blind" assignment, as you put it, for your actual flights. No phone call is needed - your selection is just part of the initial cruise booking. At the 210-day mark, if you've changed your mind about your selection, you can still begin the deviation process. If not, you wait to see what you get. There are so many people who choose to fly in a few days ahead of a cruise, not only to ensure that they don't miss the start of the cruise but also to adjust to the new time zone, see the sights in the embarkation port, etc. I would love to use Regent's air option, but we always try to fly in 2-3 days ahead of time, and from what I'm reading on this thread, that wouldn't be possible even with the deviation process. Or am I wrong about that?

14 minutes ago, BaltiGator said:

Thanks for your comments. I'm a Regent newbie, so maybe I don't understand the process well enough. But what I'm envisioning is that you pick which day you want to fly in when you book your cruise (arrival day of, 1 day before, 2 days before, 3 days before) but you then still wait for a "blind" assignment, as you put it, for your actual flights. No phone call is needed - your selection is just part of the initial cruise booking. At the 210-day mark, if you've changed your mind about your selection, you can still begin the deviation process. If not, you wait to see what you get. There are so many people who choose to fly in a few days ahead of a cruise, not only to ensure that they don't miss the start of the cruise but also to adjust to the new time zone, see the sights in the embarkation port, etc. I would love to use Regent's air option, but we always try to fly in 2-3 days ahead of time, and from what I'm reading on this thread, that wouldn't be possible even with the deviation process. Or am I wrong about that?

RSSC newbie as well. You have it. If you want to deviate, then at the 210 day mark, you pay the fee and engage with Regent Air Department. Should you not go that route, then you 'get what you get' at the 75 day mark. As I trust you may already know, getting available flight options at hand before you call will expedite the process. Worked perfectly for me for my upcoming cruise with RSSC.

9 minutes ago, TheShag said:

RSSC newbie as well. You have it. If you want to deviate, then at the 210 day mark, you pay the fee and engage with Regent Air Department. Should you not go that route, then you 'get what you get' at the 75 day mark. As I trust you may already know, getting available flight options at hand before you call will expedite the process. Worked perfectly for me for my upcoming cruise with RSSC.

Thanks for your comments. Two things - first, having to mark the 210-day on your calendar and call seems unnecessarily burdensome to the customer. Why not have a check box when you book your cruise saying you want to fly in earlier? Second, are you saying that when someone calls to deviate, they can request flights that arrive more than 1 day ahead of the cruise? We would want flights 2-3 days ahead.

14 minutes ago, BaltiGator said:

Thanks for your comments. Two things - first, having to mark the 210-day on your calendar and call seems unnecessarily burdensome to the customer. Why not have a check box when you book your cruise saying you want to fly in earlier? Second, are you saying that when someone calls to deviate, they can request flights that arrive more than 1 day ahead of the cruise? We would want flights 2-3 days ahead.

Not only are you having to 'mark your calendar', you should also do extensive research before that 210 mark so that you have an informed basis for booking your flights. Not sure where you are going to and from where you are departing but there could be a myriad of options to consider. Many experienced cruisers are quite adverse to multiple stops, time-of-day flights, European connection airports, connection times, etc. etc.. As suggested by many experienced cruisers, I had 3 ranked options of preferred flights prior to my call. On the morning of the 210th day, I made my call and got exactly what I wanted. The agent suggested to me at the time that if one waits too long, then available seats do not materialize. And yes, they can help you with earlier flights as well as later return flights.