Regent - Unreasonable Air Itineraries - Never Again

Golfess

9 hours ago, Golfess said:

Thank you all.  Clearly, we have learned the hard way.  Specifically, in response to 1982CruzStart, we booked the cruise fairly late.  So, by the time we were faced with multiple bad itineraries, we were unable to change with the upcharge or to take a credit.  At that time, we would have paid a hefty extra price to book our own airfare.  

In the future, we will stick with alternative lines - as Regent's response to our problems left no motivation to use them again.  Even an on-board credit (or something comparable) on the next cruise would have been enough for us to reconsider Regent.  But that didn't happen.

There is a “sticky” thread with oodles of posts regarding R custom air. Its good to spend some time reading some posts and to get some ideas of  “best practices.” 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

We use Regent Air for our cruises.  I have the 210 days before cruise clearly circled on my calendar so we can deviate and get our flights settled, our TA does most the interface with Regent.

Same here. And as far as flying coach on domestic legs, that has never happened. As long as the domestic leg and international leg are ticketed together on the same airline or a code share partner airline, the domestic leg has always been first class. Can't speak for all airlines, but true for Delta, United, and American. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many people keep talking about taking the air credit and booking their own flights, and I understand that logic, but the air credit that Regent provides is nowhere near the cost of booking flights on your own. I looked into this on my recent cruise and it would have cost me thousands of dollars more to book my own business class fare above and beyond the air credit. I was already shelling out a lot of money for this cruise and couldn’t logically spend thousands of dollars more. Fortunately, all went well, even the hotels and transfers that were included. When it works, it is wonderful not to worry about anything except getting to the originating airport. Regent markets this experience and although they don’t directly control some of the facets of this “all included” experience, they still have some responsibility, in MHO, to deliver what they sold you and that was an entire package, not just the cruise ship experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcsdkqh said:

Same here. And as far as flying coach on domestic legs, that has never happened. As long as the domestic leg and international leg are ticketed together on the same airline or a code share partner airline, the domestic leg has always been first class. Can't speak for all airlines, but true for Delta, United, and American. YMMV.

You are correct, if you look at the booking it should be a single "business class" booking all the way.  So that means First Class for the domestic leg.  However if the airlines doesn't offer a through booking then you will possibly get coach for the domestic leg.  In my case, the no up charge offer was Japan Airlines to (I think) Boston, then JetBlue to Atlanta.  JetBlue to Atlanta has no First Class so it would be cattle car coach.  I chose the up charge non-stop. 

We always use Regent air because we can't find business class fare for the amount you get as credit; plus, with all the issues with airlines, we know Regent will get us to the cruise or back home.Having said that "we always deviate". Paying the deviation fee is worth every penny. United cancelled our flight in June and didn't even notified us. Regent got us on a flight that evening. I couldn't even get through United on the phone. I will never let Regent pick the flights because they are going to get the cheapest they can get under their contract no matter how many stops. I give them a list of several flights 210 days ahead of cruise. Up to now we always got the flights we wanted. For our next cruise there was an upcharge for flights we wanted it. They did offer decent flights with no upcharge. Never fly on day cruise depart. We always go early. Nowadays even going a day early is iffy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been following this thread and don't understand the comments about the low airfare credit if one chooses to book air themselves.  

We recently booked our first Regent cruise (Japan, had been a Viking fan in the past but getting a bit frustrated with them) and there's two listed prices.  One including air and one without.  The price differential is about $6,600.  Since we always like to be in complete control of our air bookings it was an easy decision for us to pick the cruse only fare.  We can easily get business class airfare for less than this price and get the exact flight we desire.

But from this thread, I think I'm missing something.  Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

47 minutes ago, mwike said:

I've been following this thread and don't understand the comments about the low airfare credit if one chooses to book air themselves.  

We recently booked our first Regent cruise (Japan, had been a Viking fan in the past but getting a bit frustrated with them) and there's two listed prices.  One including air and one without.  The price differential is about $6,600.  Since we always like to be in complete control of our air bookings it was an easy decision for us to pick the cruse only fare.  We can easily get business class airfare for less than this price and get the exact flight we desire.

But from this thread, I think I'm missing something.  Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

You’re not missing much. The air credits for Asia cruises tend to be bigger than for European cruises. For those of us living in the western US air fares are routinely less than the Regent air credit. If you were booking a European cruise you would likely find that the air credit would be nowhere near enough to cover business class air booked by you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It is my understanding that we can pay a deviation fee once the air itinerary has been determined by Regent and that fee will allow us to make changes that may likely result in an up charge....unless of course, we like the itinerary that is provided.  Am I understanding this correctly?

I may be misunderstanding your post but here goes my thoughts.

You can pay a deviation fee starting 210 days before embarkation.  There is now a non-refundable $75 fee to talk to Regent Air (RA). If you decide not to deviate you forfeit that fee, if you deviate it is subtracted from the deviation fee and you are charged the difference. 

Regent won't provide you with their air itinerary until about 75 days before embarkation which at that point is too late to deviate if you don't like the itinerary they give you. You are always best to deviate as soon as the 210 day window opens as I think you get the best choices of the itineraries that Regent has contracted.   Unless you are in concierge and above you will almost always be on flights that get you into the port city on embarkation day with RA. That alone is reason enough to deviate. 

Once you talk to Regent Air about deviating you can always refuse what they offer, you forfeit the $75 fee and take your chances with what you might get at the 70-75 day mark.  I believe when you talk to RA to deviate and are not happy with what they offer you can ask for the air credit and book your own flights. I think there is a very good chance if you don't like what they are offering at 210 days there is a very good chance you aren't going to like what they give you at 75 days. 

As others have said when you call RA to deviate be prepared. Have at least 2 or 3 acceptable flight itineraries to work with the RA agent. My experience is they will go out of their way to work with you to get you what they want. Of course with the airline turmoil that is our world now it is harder for them to do so. If you are very fussy about your flights and you can't work something out  go look and see if you can get the flights you want at a price you can live with and take the air credit.  You have at least a couple of days to accept or reject the deviated flights RA  has offered you.  During that time find out if you can do better yourself. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I may be misunderstanding your post but here goes my thoughts.

You can pay a deviation fee starting 210 days before embarkation.  There is now a non-refundable $75 fee to talk to Regent Air (RA). If you decide not to deviate you forfeit that fee, if you deviate it is subtracted from the deviation fee and you are charged the difference. 

Regent won't provide you with their air itinerary until about 75 days before embarkation which at that point is too late to deviate if you don't like the itinerary they give you. You are always best to deviate as soon as the 210 day window opens as I think you get the best choices of the itineraries that Regent has contracted.   Unless you are in concierge and above you will almost always be on flights that get you into the port city on embarkation day with RA. That alone is reason enough to deviate. 

Once you talk to Regent Air about deviating you can always refuse what they offer, you forfeit the $75 fee and take your chances with what you might get at the 70-75 day mark.  I believe when you talk to RA to deviate and are not happy with what they offer you can ask for the air credit and book your own flights. I think there is a very good chance if you don't like what they are offering at 210 days there is a very good chance you aren't going to like what they give you at 75 days. 

As others have said when you call RA to deviate be prepared. Have at least 2 or 3 acceptable flight itineraries to work with the RA agent. My experience is they will go out of their way to work with you to get you what they want. Of course with the airline turmoil that is our world now it is harder for them to do so. If you are very fussy about your flights and you can't work something out  go look and see if you can get the flights you want at a price you can live with and take the air credit.  You have at least a couple of days to accept or reject the deviated flights RA  has offered you.  During that time find out if you can do better yourself. 

Thank you so very much. I am still learning and didn’t know about the 210 mark…would have waited for the 75 days. Also good to know we can take the credit and book our own air at the 210 mark. There is no way we will fly in on day of embarkation. The fact the Regent thinks that’s a good idea for over seas (any , really) is quite baffling. I’m sure they have their reasons…

Again, appreciate your post , along with others. Very helpful, indeed. 

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

>>The air credits for Asia cruises tend to be bigger than for European cruises.... 

Agree.  For recent trips to AUS/NZ and Japan, we found the air credit to be very generous.  (IIRC, by booking on our own to AUS/NZ from LAX, the credit was almost a 2 for 1 deal.)  And yes, the credit going to Europe is significantly less.  We generally use Regent air when going in this direction. Maybe once used points to get to NYC because we wanted to spend a few days there and was able to find a good deal from NYC to LHR.)   

"Also good to know we can take the credit and book our own air at the 210 mark."

You can take the credit and book your own flights as soon as schedules are available from the airlines.  Nothing to do with the 210 day mark. That is an arbitrary date set by Regent. Up until a couple months ago, it was 270 days

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thank you so very much. I am still learning and didn’t know about the 210 mark…would have waited for the 75 days. Also good to know we can take the credit and book our own air at the 210 mark. There is no way we will fly in on day of embarkation. The fact the Regent thinks that’s a good idea for over seas (any , really) is quite baffling. I’m sure they have their reasons…

You can book directly with airlines much earlier than 210 days out. For example, in Delta and AA you can book 331 days in advance 

3 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

You can book directly with airlines much earlier than 210 days out. For example, in Delta and AA you can book 331 days in advance 

Agreed.  But how are the prices that far out?  One thing I’d like to avoid is paying more for airfare than the actual cruise and I’ve reached a point in my life where sitting at the front of the plane is a must.  

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agreed.  But how are the prices that far out?  One thing I’d like to avoid is paying more for airfare than the actual cruise and I’ve reached a point in my life where sitting at the front of the plane is a must.  

Wish I knew the answer to that question… prices nowadays are dynamic, always changing. If prices go down you might no get cash back but you can get a credit to use on a future flight

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I often say that when I board an airplane I want to hear the flight attendant say  “ YOUR SEAT IS TO THE LEFT”

• Haha 4

On 10/13/2023 at 1:25 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just to add what others have said.. the 210 day is the first day you can DEVIATE with Regent.  You are NOT taking the air credit, but you will still use Regent Air, but will pay $175 per person to work with them to book your flights early.  You may have an additional up charge if they can't get contract rates on the flights you want.  These days it's harder and harder to find really desirable itineraries that will be "free" with Regent.  So decide if you want to pay any up charge, or have them find an early booking that will have no up charge, or take the credit and book your own air.  

On our upcoming cruise I got what I wanted to Hong Kong for no up charge, but had the up charge to get the non stop home from Tokyo.  They told me what the "free" option would be and I decided I'd rather pay the up charge.  But either way it was still cheaper than booking on my own, and as a retired Delta pilot I get at least a 25% discount on Delta flights.  

• Like 1

Something not yet mentioned in this thread: If you pay to deviate at 210 days, and the agreed upon itinerary is changed by the airline(s), you don’t need to pay again to readjust if the change doesn’t suit you. Be prepared with the itinerary you want (a few choices) when you call (or provide them to your TA). Feel free to request itineraries that RA rejected before. Some of your new choices might have an upcharge. I don’t know what happens if you already paid an upcharge for the original itinerary.

It’s important to get the reservation code for each airline from Regent and to keep an eye on your reservations.  Most of the time Regent Air will forward any changes to your TA, but  sometimes they don’t. You don’t want to be unpleasantly surprised the day before your flight when you try to check in. As soon as you see a change that doesn’t work for you, contact RA, either directly or through your TA, to adjust the itinerary so it works for you.

Regent actually pays the airlines at 60ish days. Some airlines allow you to select seats directly with them before payment, some don’t. You can call RA and have them get seats assigned. Airlines will let Regent do it as the official booking agent.

This has been said before — Plan to arrive at least one day before embarking, especially internationally. The price of the hotel and transfer is minimal compared to the agony of missing the cruise because of airline screw up, especially if you don’t pay Regent’s exorbitant price for the hotel. 

Also, if your airline cancels and reroutes you the morning of the flight (it happened to me) call RA emergency line immediately if the new itinerary is bad. Best to have the itinerary you want ready for this call, too.

• Thanks 2

On 10/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, Golfess said:

Even an on-board credit (or something comparable) on the next cruise would have been enough for us to reconsider Regent.  But that didn't happen.

Are you saying that Regent didn't compensate you at all for your missed cruise?  Didn't refund your cruise fare?

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Are you saying that Regent didn't compensate you at all for your missed cruise?  Didn't refund your cruise fare?

Nothing. We wrote them multiple times, finally telling them we wouldn't use Regent again, and still nothing. We were shocked.  We were fortunate we had insurance.   I ended up thinking that Regent didn't care that we missed the cruise - two less people to house and feed.  And Regent kept the fare while the insurance company paid the price.

1 minute ago, Golfess said:

Nothing. We wrote them multiple times, finally telling them we wouldn't use Regent again, and still nothing. We were shocked.  We were fortunate we had insurance.   I ended up thinking that Regent didn't care that we missed the cruise - two less people to house and feed.  And Regent kept the fare while the insurance company paid the price.

Wow!  So much for the claim that it's safer to have Regent book your flights because they will stand behind you if anything goes wrong.  It seems people really need to think twice before trusting Regent with their flights.