Watercolor Watercolour Classes

mawvkysc

$25 for the session.  

DW did one on Nieuw Statendam.  She said it filled the gap between a late breakfast and an early lunch but didn't learn much.  The canvas was kept in the studio until dry and then delivered to the room.  We brought it home. It is a different kind of souvenir.

37 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

$25 for the session.  

DW did one on Nieuw Statendam.  She said it filled the gap between a late breakfast and an early lunch but didn't learn much.  The canvas was kept in the studio until dry and then delivered to the room.  We brought it home. It is a different kind of souvenir.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like hers was

acrylic maybe. 

• Like 1

My daughter did the arts classes on Eurodam during July in Alaska... she loved the tutor, who seemed quite gifted in both art and teaching.  His classes in painting, calligraphy and origami were packed each time and he added classes due to this.  The classes were free except for the paint on canvas class, which was indeed $25 for the canvas, which just fit into a checked suitcase bag.

• Like 1

Tried to do a free watercolor class on Zuiderdam last week. Art teacher had everyone clear the room while she set up. People were hovering all around the outside while she set up and she had to be strict on keeping people out. When she said we could come in she said there were only like 26 seats and you couldn’t do it if you didn’t get a seat- people swarmed like free booze was being offered. I’m talking elbowing, plopping down on seats as others are pulling them out for themselves- totally absurd. I left and had a drink at the bar instead. Turned around later and saw they were painting color pinwheels. All that nonsense to watercolor some pinwheels LOL. A pre-lunch cocktail was indeed the better call.

ETA- prior to this I did adult coloring and an origami class, both of which you needed to arrive like 10 mins before the class but people behaved civilly when we were let into the room

Edited by AllTheSun
ETA
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AllTheSun said:

Tried to do a free watercolor class on Zuiderdam last week. Art teacher had everyone clear the room while she set up. People were hovering all around the outside while she set up and she had to be strict on keeping people out. When she said we could come in she said there were only like 26 seats and you couldn’t do it if you didn’t get a seat- people swarmed like free booze was being offered. I’m talking elbowing, plopping down on seats as others are pulling them out for themselves- totally absurd. I left and had a drink at the bar instead. Turned around later and saw they were painting color pinwheels. All that nonsense to watercolor some pinwheels LOL. A pre-lunch cocktail was indeed the better call.

ETA- prior to this I did adult coloring and an origami class, both of which you needed to arrive like 10 mins before the class but people behaved civilly when we were let into the room

why does adult colouring need a class? they should just put out some colouring sheets and coloured pencils in the library or where the games and puzzles are for guest to do at their leisure.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, electro said:

why does adult colouring need a class? they should just put out some colouring sheets and coloured pencils in the library or where the games and puzzles are for guest to do at their leisure.

It was basically that, a number of pages to pick from and a large selection of colored pencils for each person. It was calming, though I think putting some out everyday like they do crosswords is a nice idea. I don’t think they can supply pencils because people suck and would just steal them. I didn’t mind the class setup- see I was the only person in “class” that needed help because I jammed my sharpener 🤣 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

Thanks for the info. It think your drink idea was a good one. Sounds like it was very basic. Maybe color theory which could be interesting for some whether they are interested watercolors or not. 

Maybe I’ll just bring my own and paint as I feel like it. I’m probably intermediate level. 

Edited by mawvkysc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AllTheSun said:

...I don’t think they can supply pencils because people suck and would just steal them. I didn’t mind the class setup- see I was the only person in “class” that needed help because I jammed my sharpener 🤣 

That's pretty much what the "monitor" told us one day - they have a strict policy on watching the supplies to ensure all the pencils make it back to them, but feel free to take as many of the papers as you like. 🙄🧐 

There's one in every group and now we know who it is!! 🥴 lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

The watercolor classes are free on the Grand Voyages and World Cruises. They are extremely popular and one must arrive early on the 1st day to ensure a seat.

So not necessarily a given on a TA. It’s not considered a GV is it?

45 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

Thanks for the info. It think your drink idea was a good one. Sounds like it was very basic. Maybe color theory which could be interesting for some whether they are interested watercolors or not. 

Maybe I’ll just bring my own and paint as I feel like it. I’m probably intermediate level. 

I have a BFA in printmaking and painting.  Watercolor is my specialty.  Last month on the Eurodam I walked by the room where painting class had been held and all the paintings were propped up drying, obviously acrylics.  They were of a cherry blossom branch.  I was not impressed.  I would suggest bringing a small box of Windsor&Newton watercolors and a pad of water color paper and several quality brushes available at craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and enjoy experimenting.   I have seen serious watercolorists on the Lido pool area  painting and have been impressed.

I would like to try origami....I have done it but could use some guidance with that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I would like to try origami....I have done it but could use some guidance with that!

Temper your expectations. The instructor literally just laid out different color papers then played a YouTube video, stopping it at confusing parts and rewinding it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I have a BFA in printmaking and painting.  Watercolor is my specialty.  Last month on the Eurodam I walked by the room where painting class had been held and all the paintings were propped up drying, obviously acrylics.  They were of a cherry blossom branch.  I was not impressed.  I would suggest bringing a small box of Windsor&Newton watercolors and a pad of water color paper and several quality brushes available at craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and enjoy experimenting.   I have seen serious watercolorists on the Lido pool area  painting and have been impressed.

Hopefully I’ll find some kindred watercolorists on board. I don’t say I’m self taught as I’ve learned so much from YouTubers and books, but it would be nice to be in person with someone else painting. 

3 minutes ago, AllTheSun said:

Temper your expectations. The instructor literally just laid out different color papers then played a YouTube video, stopping it at confusing parts and rewinding it.

And to think, the "instructor"  is no doubt being paid to do this.  Pretty pitiful🙁.

4 minutes ago, Loreto said:

And to think, the "instructor"  is no doubt being paid to do this.  Pretty pitiful🙁.

It was rather odd, I almost wonder if she was a sub. At the end of the trip a guy introduced himself as the new art instructor at the towel folding seminar and said he had just boarded in Boston so maybe those on the Grand Africa trip will have a better experience!

3 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

Hopefully I’ll find some kindred watercolorists on board. I don’t say I’m self taught as I’ve learned so much from YouTubers and books, but it would be nice to be in person with someone else painting. 

You will do just fine!  Watercolor is full of many "happy accidents", just relax and enjoy experimenting.  I have always used quality cake watercolors in a box as opposed to tube watercolor pigment.  Here are 2 watercolors taken from my photos in Antarctica.

antarctic1.jpg

Scan-140822-0012.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

@Loreto how beautiful. I love the loose style. It’s so

much harder than people realize. 

I am @rmlwatercolors on instagram. I use squeezed out and dried tube paint.  

Thank you for the compliment☺️!  I sent them as Christmas cards a number of years ago.  I like water color and pen and ink.  I use Sharpie extra fine black permanent markers...a lot easier to use and control than traditional pen and ink.

38 minutes ago, Loreto said:

Thank you for the compliment☺️!  I sent them as Christmas cards a number of years ago.  I like water color and pen and ink.  I use Sharpie extra fine black permanent markers...a lot easier to use and control than traditional pen and ink.

They are absolutely beautiful! I will look at the AK views differently next time we go. I hope the recipients on your Christmas card list appreciate the gift you sent them.