Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!

Host Anne

3 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

They are primarily commuter trains so they don’t have dedicated luggage space.

Carry-ons can go in the racks above the seats but you’ll just have to find room for large cases where you can around your seat. It’s rarely an issue at off-peak times when the trains are nowhere near full.

Sorry one more question.  Is the 905 considered peak going to Southhampton from Waterloo?

Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Sorry one more question.  Is the 905 considered peak going to Southhampton from Waterloo?

Thanks for the help!

No. For ticketing purposes that’s the first off-peak train on weekdays. But in terms of crowding the morning peak is in the other direction, towards London. That train shouldn’t be too busy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

Thank you.  Can you please tell me how long it takes to get to LHR ?

Our flight back home U.S is 2:30.    TIA 

It took about an hour and a half. If you walk off with your luggage first thing, it should be fine! Have a great time! At the time, I was really nervous, but they were in constant contact with us by phone.

My Oceania cruise  disembarks at 8 am in Southampton My flight, which I booked myself, is out of LHR at 1 pm. Oceania told my TA that I should be fine. Would you agree or play it safe by booking a flight the next am and stay at a LHR hotel overnight? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gailellen12 said:

My Oceania cruise  disembarks at 8 am in Southampton My flight, which I booked myself, is out of LHR at 1 pm. Oceania told my TA that I should be fine. Would you agree or play it safe by booking a flight the next am and stay at a LHR hotel overnight? 

As long as you’re among the first off, preferably carrying your own luggage (if Oceania allows that), you should be fine. But I’d want to be on the road by 8:30, or 9 at the very latest.

13 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

The drive from Southampton to Heathrow typically takes about 90 minutes, assuming no delays en route. But best to allow 2 hours in case of traffic. A 2:30pm flight is absolutely fine.

Thank you 

7 hours ago, hellokittyluver said:

It took about an hour and a half. If you walk off with your luggage first thing, it should be fine! Have a great time! At the time, I was really nervous, but they were in constant contact with us by phone.

Thank you 

On 8/8/2024 at 10:07 AM, Shiba_Lover said:

We actually changed to a different hotel when we discovered they did not have air conditioning.  We moved to Leonardo Grand Harbor.  This hotel was quite nice.  Walking distance to everything, good size rooms, had A/C, included breakfast which was good.  We did walk past the white star tavern and it looked like a nice place although I can see what people are saying - if it was a Friday or Saturday night, the rooms would likely get quite a bit of noise as it is on the main Street, which had a lot of bars and there was a dance club right outside of it.  But, I think all the bars/clubs close by midnight.    So if you are not concerned about the potential for the street noise, I would give it a go as September should not need A/C in the rooms.

How far to the port from this hotel? Did they offer a shuttle or transfers?

1 hour ago, pepperleonardorowan5 said:

How far to the port from this hotel? Did they offer a shuttle or transfers?

It was maybe a 5 minute taxi ride.  We asked the bell desk to arrange a car the night before, and the taxi was there for us on time the next morning.  (most guests did this as the taxi asks for you by name).  Hotel did not offer a shuttle or transfer.  You could actually walk if you wanted to do so with luggage, saw many people doing that.  It was a pretty straight shot and maybe a 12 minute walk.  You are allowed to walk into the port area.  We were there on a turnaround day too - and walked from the port back into town - very easy/safe walk - but didn't want to bother doing it with the luggage on embarkation day.

Edited by Shiba_Lover
  • Like 1

So, I’m taking the 8:30 London train on a Friday, luckily my MSC cruise officially departs at 6, so even if I had major issues, I likely wouldn’t need to worry about being a bit late, anyone know what the latest check in time is for a 6 PM sailing out of Southampton?

I am over in Canada and just heard about this awful circumstance from this week in which about 20 PAX missed their cruise because of a failed train. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-city-via-rail-passengers-out-thousands-of-dollars-after-missed-cruise-ship-departures-due-to-delay-1.7023634

Edited by marktwothousand

17 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

So, I’m taking the 8:30 London train on a Friday, luckily my MSC cruise officially departs at 6, so even if I had major issues, I likely wouldn’t need to worry about being a bit late, anyone know what the latest check in time is for a 6 PM sailing out of Southampton?

I am over in Canada and just heard about this awful circumstance from this week in which about 20 PAX missed their cruise because of a failed train. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-city-via-rail-passengers-out-thousands-of-dollars-after-missed-cruise-ship-departures-due-to-delay-1.7023634

Usually final checkin is ~90 minutes before sailaway. 

One advantage to the UK is that the distances are a LOT shorter, the trains, particularly between London and the Southwest, are commuter trains, and most importantly, the train tracks aren't owned by the freight carriers as they are in Canada. 

11 minutes ago, avatexrs said:

My Royal Caribbean ship is supposed to dock in Southampton at 5:30 am on a Sunday.  I have two options for my flight out of Heathrow - 1:35 pm or 4:00 pm.  Would 1:35 pm be cutting it too close?

Not at all, as long as you’re on the road by around 9:00 or just after you’ll be fine (assuming you’re booking a private transfer).

On 7/31/2024 at 3:37 PM, sciteach11 said:

Ok good to know! I definitely think we can do that. For some reason people on other boards seem to be hesitant to take the train, but we’re doing some train travel in Switzerland after the cruise so we have to make our luggage train friendly! Not needing/carrying a car seat will make that easier.

We are looking into train vs bus...Seems to me (especially from central london) the bus is leading so far.

Way cheaper, not that much longer trip, and your bags are put below.  

3 of us.

2 hours ago, dodger1964 said:

Way cheaper,

Not necessarily - with a modicum of planning (Advance train tickets) the difference is only about £5. I personally would pay a much larger premium than that  to spend an hour or more less on a train over a bus 😀

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 2:39 PM, dodger1964 said:

We are looking into train vs bus...Seems to me (especially from central london) the bus is leading so far.

Way cheaper, not that much longer trip, and your bags are put below.  

3 of us.

If the bus is right outside your accommodation sure but if you’re transferring to it from your hotel why botha 

On 9/7/2024 at 3:45 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

Not necessarily - with a modicum of planning (Advance train tickets) the difference is only about £5. I personally would pay a much larger premium than that  to spend an hour or more less on a train over a bus 😀

I’ll have to do some more research I know when I checked the bus it was 63 pounds total for three people leaving December 27 and coming back on January 3. I thought the train was like 150 pounds total for three people, but I can’t find where I had that price shown to me.  I just checked Southern Railway and it didn’t show price at all at those dates.

3 hours ago, dodger1964 said:

I’ll have to do some more research I know when I checked the bus it was 63 pounds total for three people leaving December 27 and coming back on January 3. I thought the train was like 150 pounds total for three people, but I can’t find where I had that price shown to me.  I just checked Southern Railway and it didn’t show price at all at those dates.

That sounds like the full walk-up train fare (called ‘Anytime’).

Cheap advance fares go on sale about 12 weeks out so you’re too early. 

The bus will still be cheaper but about 60-75 minutes slower.