Regent Mariner Dec 12/23 Amazon Cruise Rain Jacket ?

Genoabay

Hello

It's beginning to get exciting thinking about Christmas in the Amazon.

For anyone who has been to the Amazon or is familiar with that region, is a waterproof rain jacket necessary for that Cruise, particularly for the excursions?

We are taking the Amazon Jungle Trek excursion.

The balance of recommendations I have read is that a waterproof rain jacket is required for a trip of this nature.

We understand that December weather is overcast, hot and humid, and the rainy season begins in December.

Would those familiar provide some guidance here and weigh in on this? We would appreciate your thoughts......

Don't go overboard with the jacket.  Of course it depends on time of year but we spent two weeks in March up the Amazon taking excursions past Manaus and never saw any rain.  The bugs were surprisingly not too bad either.  I know others experiences have varied, just relating ours.

Edited by Jim Avery

When we went a few years ago in March we had some rain showers. Took a light weight poncho rain thing. Tried to wear one day during a rainy tour. It was so humid I got wetter using it than I did later going without during the rain. The humidity is terrible and I am from the Texas Gulf Coast. We are going again next Nov with out rain gear other than a light folded up pocket poncho. We had no bugs!

• Like 1

You are so right🤣

7 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

cwn, I think the humidity was too much for the bugs.  We are with you, sweatiest I ever remember.  And that includes 35 years living on the Florida Gulf Coast.

We went to the Amazon last April on Aqua Expeditions.  It rained a LOT.  The Cruise line supplied thick waterproof ponchos and rain boots, as well as mosquito repellent, when necessary.  We ended up needing them more than we would have preferred.  At this time of year, the mosquitoes were insanely prevalent.  I had brought a mosquito netting shirt which I was so grateful for!  (Others ended up purchasing them during the trip.)  A lightweight  poncho and mosquito protective clothing take up little luggage space and are worth their weight in gold if you end up needing them.  Foot note:  (no pun intended) You will get muddy and dirty on land excursions. Give thought to your shoes.

When we did this cruise in November. We took rain ponchos and use those on a couple days when it rained. You should also have a hat. It was cool enough that we didn’t notice any humidity.

we really didn’t see any insects or mosquitoes, must be related to where you are and the time of year.

Two pairs of shoes that you use on excursions would be great to have so one pair can dry if you get wet. 
it was a great cruise and I’m sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lprp said:

WOW! 😮

I was considering buying nets for going over our hats……

…I’ve just ordered them 🤞

Abandon all hope ye who enter there.  If they want you they will just carry you off to their lair.....😱

• Haha 2

I was on same sailing as @mj_holiday in mid-November 2018. I used plastic shoe covers a couple of days. Also carried a small collapsible umbrella in my day pack. I remember using it our day in Manaus.

@Pcardad, we did not have the giant moths on our November cruise. We were a bit disappointed!

7 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I was on same sailing as @mj_holiday in mid-November 2018. I used plastic shoe covers a couple of days. Also carried a small collapsible umbrella in my day pack. I remember using it our day in Manaus.

@Pcardad, we did not have the giant moths on our November cruise. We were a bit disappointed!

These were taken in April...

• Like 1

We're on this cruise as well.  I'm kind of dreading the thought of having to wear a waterproof poncho in that humidity😬  I'm wondering if some people just opt to forego the poncho and get wet?  That's been our approach in places like Hawaii, but there it's just intermittent rain. 

@Genoabay  fyi  There's a roll call for this cruise that you might find useful 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I'm wondering if some people just opt to forego the poncho and get wet? 

Just make sure you’re not wearing white linen…….…it becomes almost transparent 😳🫣

Happened to me in a deluge in Sydney, the memory of it as well as trailing water through the lobby of The Westin (now the Fullerton Hotel) still makes me blush 🤭

I usually skip the poncho most of the time, it is just too hot. I find the best thing for my husband and me is shirts, skirts and slacks made from something like parachute cloth but maybe a tad heavier. It is light weight, dark colors are non see though and the clothes dry very fast.m, like in a few minutes.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

We're on this cruise as well.  I'm kind of dreading the thought of having to wear a waterproof poncho in that humidity😬  I'm wondering if some people just opt to forego the poncho and get wet?  That's been our approach in places like Hawaii, but there it's just intermittent rain. 

@Genoabay  fyi  There's a roll call for this cruise that you might find useful 

See my Post above. I do know how I did this🫢

Edited by cwn

1 hour ago, cwn said:

I usually skip the poncho most of the time, it is just too hot. I find the best thing for my husband and me is shirts, skirts and slacks made from something like parachute cloth but maybe a tad heavier. It is light weight, dark colors are non see though and the clothes dry very fast.m, like in a few minutes.

Thanks.  That sounds like an approach that will work for us🙂

• Like 1

All: 

As usual, cwn provides timely, cogent, and useful inputs based on previous experience(s).  In this instance: recommending review Roll Call postings for your specific, future cruise.  

In addition, there is a plethora of Postings (Roll Call and others) concerning guest experiences on their previous Amazon River adventures. 

mnocket and others planning their first such adventure: 

When you have the time (and interest), you might want to visit a Mariner Roll Call on which I made a few contributions.  While what I describe is based on a pre-COVID Miami-Amazon River-Miami segment, pretty sure time, tide, River (always capitalize a reference to Amazon because it is THE GREATEST RIVER IN THE WORLD) conditions, and weather have not changed to any degree. 

Oh, degree.  Like 100% heat and humidity!  Like, being only one or two degrees off the Equator.  

Specifics.  Mariner Roll Call.  Page 7.  Title:  November 17, 2017 "Radiant Amazon".  My pertinent Postings began at # 61; with continued pepperings until Post #99. Again, these were based on our (spouse and self) cruise when aboard Navigator.    

Happy reading(s).  

GOARMY!

16 hours ago, GOARMY said:

While what I describe is based on a pre-COVID Miami-Amazon River-Miami segment, pretty sure time, tide, River (always capitalize a reference to Amazon because it is THE GREATEST RIVER IN THE WORLD) conditions, and weather have not changed to any degree. 

Thanks, I'll definitely be checking out your Roll Call posts.  However, there has been a significant change since your 2017 cruise - a severe drought.  Here's a repost of my comment in the Roll Call for the upcoming cruise...

I'm starting to become concerned about how the drought, which has caused the Amazon rivers to fall to the lowest levels in 121 years, will affect our cruise.  It seems to be far more serious than I had thought.

"Shipping and logistics group A.P. Moller-Maersk (MAERSKb.CO) warned customers on Wednesday that navigation in the area of Manaus, the largest Amazonian city, was not possible."

I just returned from an Iceland cruise where we missed 3 of 5 ports due to weather.  I'm afraid this cruise will likely see some major alterations as well.

mnocket:  

Appreciated the update as to changes in River conditions due to drought.  What a change!  Everything is magnified in the Amazon Basin, whether size of insects, or heat.  We were advised while on our Navigator cruise The River was at its third highest historical water level.  Thus, literally washing-out two stops; and requiring the Captain to significantly alter course while navigating "up River" to Manaus.  

The comments in my Thread were, obviously, time sensitive; and for the benefit of folks planning their upcoming Mariner cruise.  

From my safe, current vantage point, can only opine this drought will only exacerbate the heat and humidity index.  

GOARMY!

Hello all,

This is quite a robust response and the information is quite helpful. Thank you also for recommending the Roll Call. 

We are grateful for your input and stand by for any other suggestions or comments

Thanks!