Quayside facilities at LA

Crestawave

We're going on our first cruise next January which departs from Los Angeles. We're overnighting in Long Beach and getting a cab to the terminal. I know we'll be at the quayside early,  thats just the way we are, and was just wondering if there's any facilities ie toilets or somewhere to get a drink while we wait to embark. Or maybe we can get lucky and get aboard early. 

We're staying in a DV cabin if that makes any difference. 

Edited by Crestawave

5 hours ago, Crestawave said:

We're going on our first cruise next January which departs from Los Angeles. We're overnighting in Long Beach and getting a cab to the terminal. I know we'll be at the quayside early,  thats just the way we are, and was just wondering if there's any facilities ie toilets or somewhere to get a drink while we wait to embark. Or maybe we can get lucky and get aboard early. 

The ships dock in San Pedro at 1 of 2 facilities. Provided they have space, Viking uses the World Cruise Centre, which has 2 berths. Been there many times, both working and as a pax, but have never paid attention to any facilities on offer, as I always headed straight into town. It is a short walk (3/4 ml) into town where they have a number of cafes/restaurants.

If the WCC is full, Viking docks at the outer harbour berth # 46. I only know of the Double Tree Hotel at that end of town and it must be about 1.5 mls from the berth. Might be other options, as I rarely went that far from the ship at WCC.

No real facilities at the berths for hanging out for a couple of hours.  And berth 46 we checked in in a tent and then boarded the ship so if you go there early you will be hanging out in a parking lot and, as Andy said, it's a bit of a walk to the nearest hotel.  

Agree with both Jim and Andy.  Embarkation not until 11 at the earliest for our Feb. cruise out of L.A.  You will be much more comfortable just staying in your hotel until you have to check out of your room.  And DV isn’t promised the room will be ready until 2 pm. Here’s what Viking says.

IMG_3013.jpeg

Edited by SantaFe1

Viking will start boarding pax no earlier than 10am, no matter what it says on the invoice. They have to clear the ship of departing  pax first. Once boarding begins, there is no hanging around waiting for your cabin category to be called; it is first come, first served to check in and board.  Also, at 10am, they arestill setting up to handle arrivals. In general, Viking does not like to keep pax sitting in the terminal. The aim is to get guests checked in and on board as quickly as possible.

There will be a gang of pax with early morning arrivals waiting to board at 10am. Therefore, don't plan on arriving at the pier before 11am-ish to give the crowd ahead of you to clear. Sitting in your hotel lobby or room is a whole lot better than hanging around a cruise terminal.

We cruised through LA at the end of 2021. Our embarkation and disembarkation were in two different locations. We embarked at Outer Harbor #46 (Miner St, San Pedro CA if you are looking for it on a map). Tents were set up in the parking lot for check in. We arrived on our own sometime between 10 and 11 (a bit earlier than planned but traffic from LA was lighter than expected). Check in was slow because of Covid protocols and even then we spent very little time just hanging around waiting to board. Viking does not keep folks sitting in the terminal unless it is absolutely necessary and check in and boarding is first-come-first-served regardless of cabin category.

On return, our disembarkation was into one of the cruise terminals, which meant that the next round of guests would be embarking not from a tent but from a cruise terminal -- with full facilities. I can't give details about the facilities because we never saw the arrivals area.

Bottom-line: yes, you are excited and want to board your ship but hanging around a cruise terminal is as boring as hanging around an airport. Take advantage of your lovely hotel room and hang around there. Enjoy some real American TV😁. Or take a walk or find the nearest supermarket or liquor store to buy what you could not carry on the airplane. A 10:30am cab should be good timing  -- not too much waiting at the hotel and not too much waiting in lines for check in and boarding.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

We're sailing on the Star in three weeks from B93 which appears to have an actual terminal building.  Flying in the night before and staying near LAX.  Our plan was to arrive at pier just before 11am but if dw thinks she can board at 10am  she'll push to get there early.  Bad idea?

Bonus question - as we return from Polynesia do we go through customs at SD our first US port or LA at end of cruise?

IMHO, bad idea. I know how the DW feels; once I am in the neighborhood, I just want to get on board.  But, you don't want to be there at 10am unless you have to be. For multiple reasons...

• Even 10am is not a guaranteed start time for check-in. A lot depends on clearing the disembarking pax and getting the booths manned and set up for check-in. Why walk into the possibility of having to wait around before being able to even start checking in?

• Why do you want to deal with the crowd that has been gathering at the terminal (some perhaps since early morning) waiting to board? Give Viking a chance to clear these hungry, cranky, sleep-deprived pax and get them on board.

• There is nothing dreamier than managing to arrive at check-in with no one in line in front of you -- and it is a long-shot at 10 am. Eleven a.m. is much more reasonable/civilized if you are control of the timing -- especially if you manage to time it between buses arriving from the airport.

BONUS ANSWER: My guess is that even if you clear immigration in San Diego, you will probably have to deal with it again in LA so that customs can have at the baggage you are carrying off the ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We're sailing on the Star in three weeks from B93 which appears to have an actual terminal building.  Flying in the night before and staying near LAX.  Our plan was to arrive at pier just before 11am but if dw thinks she can board at 10am  she'll push to get there early.  Bad idea?

Bonus question - as we return from Polynesia do we go through customs at SD our first US port or LA at end of cruise?

You will clear immigration and customs at your first US port, in this case San Diego.  You’ll arrive in Los Angeles without any further formalities.

Berth 93 is served by the historic “Love Boat” terminal building with all of its mid century design details.  It’s with a bit of looking around to absorb the period architecture.  One man’s opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crestawave said:

If you are in downtown Long Beach I would suggest a late checkout from your hotel and have a nice walk in Shoreline Village or along Ocean Blvd. as there is some beautiful old homes and architecture.  Return to the hotel, check out, cab ride, board, eat lunch all within one hour of the completion of your walk.  That can be known as a perfect morning….well most mornings in Southern California are pretty perfect 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Affirmative, Berth # 93 is at the World Cruise Centre, up by the bridge over to Long Beach. 

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've  had a look and its about a 20 minute cab ride from our hotel to the cruise terminal so I reckon setting of sometime after midday should be just about right. No point, as you say,  being too early but we don't want to stressed about the possibility of being stuck in traffic either.

BTW any ideas what the cab fare is likely to be ? We'll get the hotel to get one for us.

Edited by Crestawave

Thanks Peregrina651, Johndfk and Heidi13.  I thought customs would be in SD.  I remember years ago on Caribbean cruises we cleared customs several times in San Juan prior to returning to Miami.  No luggage involved, everyone just paraded through mdr passports in hand.

Peregrina, I hear your arguments against arriving too early but after flying in from east coast dw will likely be up pacing at 4am.  Will try to stall hotel departure but no promises.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I hear your arguments against arriving too early but after flying in from east coast dw will likely be up pacing at 4am.  Will try to stall hotel departure but no promises.  

I gave you ammunition. It is up to you to decide how to use it --responsibly, of course.  🥴

• Haha 3

Give your bags to the porters and walk over to the USS Iowa museum.  It's a very short walk from the world cruise center (same parking lot).  The battleship has food/facilities and should be interesting to everyone, not just naval history types.  By far the best way to spend 2-3 hours before boarding the cruise ship.  US Navy Museum & Tours in Los Angeles - Battleship USS Iowa (pacificbattleship.com)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, junglejane said:

Give your bags to the porters and walk over to the USS Iowa museum.  It's a very short walk from the world cruise center (same parking lot).  The battleship has food/facilities and should be interesting to everyone, not just naval history types.  By far the best way to spend 2-3 hours before boarding the cruise ship.  US Navy Museum & Tours in Los Angeles - Battleship USS Iowa (pacificbattleship.com)

I just came on to say the same. LA was a midpoint stop for us on our cruise and my husband was determined to go on the USS Iowa regardless of where we berthed (he had researched bus journeys if we’d been at the other port) We did the included Viking bus tour in the morning and ambled across in the afternoon to the Iowa. 

• Like 1