Question about Latitude points

jayfurr

I'll start off by saying that I've only taken five cruises in 25 years -- I am not someone whose life is oriented around two cruises a year and all that.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   But I used to fly for work a lot and am very familiar with racking up frequent flier points.  When I use my Chase United Mileage Plus credit card I get miles, on top of miles accrued by actually flying on United, and so on, and so on.  I'm accustomed to being able to see exactly how and why I got any given amount of miles credited to my account.  

My wife and I took a cruise on the Norwegian Gem in September, a 11-stop cruise starting in Bilbao, Spain and ending in Rome, Italy.   We were Latitude Bronze at the start (clearly, we haven't cruised a lot).   We booked a balcony stateroom but bid for an upgrade, won the bid, and were upgraded to a "penthouse" two-bedroom stateroom, which was very nice and which we enjoyed a lot; it was really nice to not have to spend 12 days climbing over one another in a regular sized stateroom.  We also opted to put a thousand dollars down toward a future cruise at the CruiseNext desk, which resulted in us automatically being bumped up to Silver.

A few days ago I happened to log in to NCL to verify that we did show a thousand dollars credit on file and all that, and while I was there, I noticed that we got 48 Latitude points for our recent cruise and now are up to Gold and are just a few points away from Platinum.   Thing is, I can't figure out how we racked up 48 points.  It was a 12-day, 11 stop cruise so I am assuming we somehow got four points a day.  

Per their website you only get double points for a penthouse suite if you book it from the start; we won a bid and were upgraded ten days before the cruise, so technically we shouldn't have gotten double.  I am not complaining, mind you.  It's just morbid curiosity.

Is there anywhere on the NCL website or elsewhere where I can view exactly how those 48 points break down?   

Edited by jayfurr
typo

One other thing that could be going on. There are some cruises that offer extra latitude points for latitude members. If you booked one of those at the right time you might have gotten the original points and two or three times the points added to it depending on what the promo was at the time. It's my understanding you keep that "promo" if winning an upgrade bid, but if the price drops and you call and pay for an upgrade that "promo" falls off and you lose the points - happened to me..

3 minutes ago, jayfurr said:

I'll start off by saying that I've only taken five cruises in 25 years -- I am not someone whose life is oriented around two cruises a year and all that.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   But I used to fly for work a lot and am very familiar with racking up frequent flier points.  When I use my Chase United Mileage Plus credit card I get miles on top of miles accrued by actually flying on United, and so on, and so on.  I'm accustomed to being able to see exactly how and why I got any given amount of miles credited to my account.  

My wife and I took a cruise on the Norwegian Gem in September, a 11-stop cruise starting in Bilbao, Spain and ending in Rome, Italy.   We were Latitude Bronze at the start (clearly, we haven't cruised a lot).   We booked a balcony stateroom but bid for an upgrade, won the bid, and were upgraded to a "penthouse" two-bedroom stateroom, which was very nice and which we enjoyed a lot; it was really nice to not have to spend 12 days climbing over one another in a regular sized stateroom.  We also opted to put a thousand dollars down toward a future cruise at the CruiseNext desk, which resulted in us automatically being bumped up to Silver.

A few days ago I happened to log in to NCL to verify that we did show a thousand dollars credit on file and all that, and while I was there, I noticed that we got 48 Latitude points for our recent cruise and now are up to Gold and are just a few points away from Platinum.   Thing is, I can't figure out how we racked up 48 points.  It was a 12-day, 11 stop cruise so I am assuming we somehow got four points a day.  

Per their website you only get double points for a penthouse suite if you book it from the start; we won a bid and were upgraded ten days before the cruise, so technically we shouldn't have gotten double.  I am not complaining, mind you.  It's just morbid curiosity.

Is there anywhere on the NCL website or elsewhere where I can view exactly how those 48 points break down?   

Possibly you can find your information on your NCL Confirmation.  There are codes at the top that cover what promotions your booking had at that time. ( In a different Cruise Critic post current/previous NCL codes are listed. 

Have you logged into your MY NCL and thoroughly looked at your cruise history/points?

Latitudes points depend on when you book your cruise.  Many Alaska and European cruises this summer offered double or triple extra points if you booked during a specific promo time.  I got 4x points for my Alaska cruise. Promo code is LATRIPLE.

Never heard of anyone getting extra points for buying Cruise Next certificates, which is what I assume you mean by the $1000 on a future cruise.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

In your account on NCL.com, to the right of Account Overview there is a section under Latitudes Rewards that has cruise history and will show those points.

LatExample.jpg

This is the easiest way to do it.  I think most of it is being in the Haven.  We won two bids into the Haven in the past and always got the extra point per night.

6 hours ago, jayfurr said:

There were several triple point promotions run this year (we still have one more to go on). And the additional point for being in a suite would have got you to the quadruple point you see on your history. Say "thank you" and get to platinum where some of the "real" perks start. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreamcruiser2018 said:

There were additional points on offer on this sailing.  We had an inside cabin and also got 48 points

It doesn't really have to do much with the sailing. It has to do with whether the bonus points were a promotion at the time of booking

On 10/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, BirdTravels said:

There were several triple point promotions run this year (we still have one more to go on). And the additional point for being in a suite would have got you to the quadruple point you see on your history. Say "thank you" and get to platinum where some of the "real" perks start. 

Apparently, this happened to us. After seeing this thread, I checked my total and found we received 4x Latitudes points for our 7-day sailing last month. We'd booked a non-Haven suite, so I expected one additional per night, but received 28 points for 7 nights.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:18 PM, complawyer said:

old chinese saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth"

Not exactly Chinese in origin, but I get your drift.  For what it’s worth, the highest rate of return we ever got on Latitudes points was 30 points for a 10 day cruise where we were only on board for three days.

got you beat... we had a 19 day b2b  cruise in a 2 bedroom suite this past july through aug.  when we got home, i checked and we earned 95 points. i was stunned, and the points shot us up from sapphire to diamond. we now have 391 points. while i figured i'd be old and grey, (since im already 75 and the wife 

is 74) before i'd be near ambassador status, it doesnt seem so out of reach now

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, julig22 said:

Never heard of anyone getting extra points for buying Cruise Next certificates, which is what I assume you mean by the $1000 on a future cruise.

I haven't heard of that either.  When I read this, my mind immediately went to "What kind of shenanigans are the CN people up to now?".

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:02 PM, complawyer said:

got you beat... we had a 19 day b2b  cruise in a 2 bedroom suite this past july through aug.  when we got home, i checked and we earned 95 points. i was stunned, and the points shot us up from sapphire to diamond. we now have 391 points. while i figured i'd be old and grey, (since im already 75 and the wife 

is 74) before i'd be near ambassador status, it doesnt seem so out of reach now

95 points are mighty respectable, but they still represent just five per night you were on board.  Outs came to ten points per night, though we did kind of cheat by staying on just three nights of a ten day cruise.