Specialty restaurant reservations - opening time?

blueexpedition29

Midnight (or 12:01 a.m.), Miami time, which may vary twice a year between EST and EDT.  Look at your invoice that you got from O when you booked.  It should show the date your reservation window opens.  Stay up or set your alarm the previous night so that the instant the date changes to the date per Miami time, you'll be on the computer.  Mind you, that's only if you want two-tops at specific times on specific cruise dates.  If you're more flexible, then just do it when you normally get up in the morning.

Edited by DrHemlock

46 minutes ago, blueexpedition29 said:

Does anyone know what time the reservation system opens for reservations on the scheduled day (ie 45 days prior to sail date)? 

Midnight, that’s 00:00 , Eastern Time in the US.

One cannot log in until after midnight, so wait until 00:01 or 12:01 am depend upon how you tell time.

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

It's a blessing to be on the west coast of the US because midnight in Miami (sounds like a song title) is only 9:00 p.m. when even we geezers are usually still awake.

I stayed up to 11 (Central time) to book ours for a 10 day cruise, but found that the next morning good times were still available; in fact, I could change one or two of the bookings to ones we preferred.

Well, it also depends upon what cabin/suite level one will be occupying and, therefore, how far in advance one can book.  The OP mentioned 45 days which is the same as for us in our concierge-level cabin.  But suites get to book starting at 60 days out, so they get first dibs on what they consider to be the best days and times.  Because we're picky and always want a 6:30 two-top (which are apparently quite popular among the suite crowd), we make sure to be online at 00:01 Miami on our booking day.  Even then, we usually must choose substitutes for about a third of our preferred dates as they've already been taken.

On the other hand, those who prefer the "dining with others" option generally have no, or very few, problems with their preferred dates and times (though that's anecdotal, not empirical). 

Edited by DrHemlock

BTW, that's a good point made by pinotlover above.  One might think, "I'll just log on at 11:59 and wait for the clock/date to change; that way, I'll already be aboard."  Unfortunately, as it turns out (and as used to happen to me) it doesn't work that way.  

If you're logged on at 11:59, then your log-on status remains the same until you log out, so the reservation window simply does not open.  You really do have to wait until the clock turns.  I've never tried actually waiting until 12:01 because I'm too impatient at 12:00, but I do usually have to log on-off a couple of times before the window opens.  (Possibly, that's because it opened at 12:01 while I was busy doing the on-off thing and was no longer noticing the time!)

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Well, it also depends upon what cabin/suite level one will be occupying and, therefore, how far in advance one can book.  The OP mentioned 45 days which is the same as for us in our concierge-level cabin.  But suites get to book starting at 60 days out, so they get first dibs on what they consider to be the best days and times.  Because we're picky and always want a 6:30 two-top (which are apparently quite popular among the suite crowd), we make sure to be online at 00:01 Miami on our booking day.  Even then, we usually must choose substitutes for about a third of our preferred dates as they've already been taken.

On the other hand, those who prefer the "dining with others" option generally have no, or very few, problems with their preferred dates and times (though that's anecdotal, not empirical). 

Suites are 75 day window or more. Concierge level is 60 days.  For example, my Jan. 31 cruise on Vista in Concierge Class is showing a Dec. 2 opening date for specialty restaurant reservations. Non suite/concierge guests have a 45 day window.

From the O website:

• "Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
    Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received until 7 days prior to sailing, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing. 
  • Penthouse Suite 
    Reservations may be made 75-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.
  • Concierge Level Veranda 
    Reservations may be made 60-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

All Other Categories 
Reservations may be made 45-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full."

If you only get to pick at the 45-day point, that means on an R-class ship about 30% of the cabins will have been about to pick before you, and on an O-class ship roughly 60% of the cabins can pick before you.  Now I doubt that everyone does pick as early as they can; there are probably people that don't even bother with advance reservations.

20 hours ago, edgee said:

Suites are 75 day window or more. Concierge level is 60 days.

Oops!  Thanks for the correction, edgee,  I've gotten lazy by just looking at the "reservations open" date on the invoice and not calculating how many day it is before sailing.  So, as Emily Litella used to say: "Never mind!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, edgee said:

Perhaps one day O will adopt Regent's recently changed policy with specialty restaurant reservation windows opening at 8p.m. Miami time on the scheduled day.

At one time, back in PCH days, both Oceania and Regent utilized the same computer systems. They didn’t want their systems cratered with multiple people hitting the system at the same time. Think speeds during cruises at high volume times. Solution: Space everything out. Regent customers pay more to go first. I doubt much has changed in Miami and the IT systems .

• Thanks 1

Just now, pinotlover said:

At one time, back in PCH days, both Oceania and Regent utilized the same computer systems. They didn’t want their systems cratered with multiple people hitting the system at the same time. Think speeds during cruises at high volume times. Solution: Space everything out. Regent customers pay more to go first. I doubt much has changed in Miami and the IT systems .

Regent just changed to the 8:00 p.m. time instead of midnight a few months ago so the variation has nothing to do with history of shared computer system. In a way, Regent customers are going last compared to Oceania. An O guest can make reservations at 12:01 a.m. A Regent guest whose reservation window opens up the same day must wait 20 hours later before making reservations. Regent supposedly feels the 8: p.m. hour is a more civilized time compared to many folks having to stay up so late. 

9 hours ago, edgee said:

Regent just changed to the 8:00 p.m. time instead of midnight a few months ago so the variation has nothing to do with history of shared computer system. In a way, Regent customers are going last compared to Oceania. An O guest can make reservations at 12:01 a.m. A Regent guest whose reservation window opens up the same day must wait 20 hours later before making reservations. Regent supposedly feels the 8: p.m. hour is a more civilized time compared to many folks having to stay up so late. 

Thanks; I remember we didn’t go at the same time as Oceania on that cruise. I was thinking before, guess it was actually after. 🍷

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thanks; I remember we didn’t go at the same time as Oceania on that cruise. I was thinking before, guess it was actually after. 🍷

Also, because Regent includes shore excursions there are really two "rush hours" for each of their cruises..the one year or 10 month (depending on frequent cruiser status and cabin) in advance 8p.m. opening to book excursions plus the 8 p.m. opening date for making dining reservations.

• Thanks 1