Long Cruises - What’s Different?

Selbourne

21 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

We docked on Aurora at Akureyri this summer (though another ship did tender). I understand that Isafjördur have recently extended their quay to allow more ships to dock rather than tender. There are no guarantees of course though - depends on who else is in on the day.

We were able to dock at Isafjördur on Arcadia in the summer. (and on the much missed Adonia back in about 2016, but of course she was a lot smaller.)

Edited by jh1809
correcting typo
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:41 AM, Selbourne said:

This is a big concern for me as, unfortunately, I’m already carrying excess baggage before even getting on the ship 😂 Oddly, on our last two cruises I didn’t put any more weight on, but they were only 14 and 7 night cruises. I think that this was because we did a lot of walking and also portion sizes on the ships are a lot smaller than I serve at home (which wasn’t a problem as we were having 3 meals a day). My problem is will power, or lack of it. My wife eats to live, whereas I live to eat 😂. I am going to have to be very careful on this cruise. 

I don’t do gyms, but thankfully Aurora has an excellent covered promenade deck. I’m going to try to do a lot of laps each day, hopefully before breakfast (if I’m up in time) and during the day. Without being obsessed about it, I’m going to have to go for more healthy choices when dining. I don’t drink that much and can easily cope with just water at lunch and dinner, but we do like a pre-dinner drink. Any other tips to stop long cruise weight gain would be appreciated!

We have found since retirement we have learned to pace ourselves on the longer cruises, I now never have bread at dinner and rarely have a full english breakfast and rarely have lunch, we have coffee and cake at Costa in the afternoon or same ashore, I would add that we don't drink much alcohol since retirement which clearly helps. This seems to work for us and we do not usually put on more than a couple of pounds.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 8:25 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

Isn't for most of us one inevitable result of long cruises some extra inches on our bellys?

Do people have to start trying not to eat so much when they are on a cruise for so long?

Maybe cut out a breakfast or lunch every day?

It's hard enough on 2 week cruises for me and despite not using the lifts, doing lots of walking and using the gym most days with spin classes thrown in!

Just having breakfast, lunch and  dinner, cocktails and snacks available 24/7 makes it hard NOT to add significant weight I imagine?

I am pleased to say, I am exactly the same weight as I was when I left home, after 19 nights on Aurora.  I used the stairs and not the lifts unless it was more than 3 decks going up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I am pleased to say, I am exactly the same weight as I was when I left home, after 19 nights on Aurora.  I used the stairs and not the lifts unless it was more than 3 decks going up.

Brilliant.

Not having roast  potatoes must help Jean!!

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong!!

Lol

We were on 5th floor walking upto 16 once or twice a day as well!! Still put weight on!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan